Agnostic.com

19 5

(Slang). Can you educate me in the art of urban language?

If you don't know what the urban dictionary contains, it's basically slang words. Sometimes they are dirty... sometimes not.

I had a good laugh awhile back when people on here found my "slapping pancakes" comment educational. I once had a meeting at work over a decade ago where people shared all sorts of slang words. It was the best meeting...ever.

So I was on the onlineslangdictionary.com, the random word I got was "cattywompus" meaning "to sit crooked."

I need to get my wheels aligned. They're sitting all cattywompus.

Did you know that one? I think I've heard it before. Never used it. Anyway, are there any slang words that amuse you?

silvereyes 8 Jan 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am posting a link to " Scouse " phrases ie. the way my contemporaries speak. Although the best phrase I ever heard came from the Australian comedian Barry Humphries. He was getting into a lift many many years ago on a particular hot day and a guy said " Not much change from a quid today mate ". By which he meant that if he went to a bar and put down a note. There would not be much change left after his thirst was quenched.
[theculturetrip.com]

@silvereyes Or " I`m of the offy for a bevy "

I always thought it was catterwompus, but yeah I'm familiar.

I tend to use the slang of the 80s and 90s, but also use more archaic terms as well. Broad, dame, skirt, and doll get frequent use for some unknown reason, probably because I watched a lot of old movies as a child.

d_day Level 7 Feb 4, 2018

Slang becomes more arbitrary every day. The youth of today with their constant lifelong exposure to internet culture have almost developed a new language based on English, so does slang even exist the way it used to?

'Cattywompus' is pretty old. Been hearing it since I was little.

@silvereyes Nah. Just not exposed is all. I think a lot depends on where one grew up, and how many older people one is exposed to. I had grandparents who said all sorts of funky stuff. LOL

Are you kidding? Growing up in Texas I heard that all the time. Also, being a 'tiny bit' older than you and 'around the block' I hear a lot of them all the time.

Not so much slang but we have gone from cool to rad to sick in my lifetime to express that we approve of something. The new terms are lit, fire and Savage. I spend way to much time around younger people.

and now in the UK 'penn' has the same meaning.

toad strangler, Gully washer, - big rain showers

full as a tick, stuffed to the gills, - expression of feeling full

happy as a pig on ice - tickled

tighter than Dicks Hatband - tight or frugal, various uses

June Cleaver can educate you:

Nibby - trying to find out information thanks nine of your business. Devilstrip- the grass area between the street and the side walk ( never new this until inlet NEO and people didn't know what the hell I was talking about) pop- what un-cultured swine call soda. Sweeper- a vacume cleaner

I knew it.

My favorite band released a song 28 years ago called Slinky about that girl that just gets in your head right away, but also hits you down deep. We call female fans Slinkies as a result. Urban dictionary has a different meaning that occasionally gets us in trouble...

Slinky-A person who is generally worthless, but will bring a smile to your face if they get pushed down the stairs.

Wow, I thought that cattywompus was an old timey term.

All of it. Especially the new stuff that keeps evolving so fast I can hardly keep up with it. (It's a lot to unpack, you feel me, boo?). Some of these new expressions are B-A-N-A-N-A-S. But I'm old-school, so I'm afraid I won't sound as dope as I think I do. I mean, I grew up saying "rad". "Cool" has hung on, and "hot" had a moment, but now everything's "fire", which I think is pretty fleek. Thank goodness for MTV and Vice!

I'm just tickled pink when I hear something that's older than dirt--it's the bee's knees! I've read a lot, some of it from days of yore, so I have a veritable cornucopia of linguistic styles cataloged in my cerebrum.

Are you picking up what I'm putting down? Peace out, homie.

word

I am glad that "sup" is losing its frequency

I grew up with a wompus cat in my grandmas house. (kept me out of stuff she didn't want me around.) "don't go in there, that wompus cat will get you."

pollyfoxin' - out exploring around in thrift stores and shopping.

Ditto on "cattywompus."

I just found out about this one recently..

Jonesing — To want, crave, or desire something intensely, and its noun form, ‘joneser,’ (a person who wants or craves something intensely), isn’t always apparent even to Americans. The Oxford Dictionary associates this word’s slang usage with Jones Alley in Manhattan, a haven for drug addicts in the 1960s. The unsavory drug culture connotations continue today. However the definition of ‘joneser,’ has been broadened among some circles to include describing a person whose character is found wanting, i.e. lacking, as opposed to someone who simply wants something desperately.

Cake by the ocean! More of a phrase than a word. Also a song.(Sex on the beach)

Cake By the Ocean [g.co]

A que is slang for barbecue.

I know of others, but it's late, and my brain is foggy, but they will come.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18840
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.