Agnostic.com

20 4

Do any of you have earnestly religious friends?

I’ve got probably 5 or 6 genuine friends who are earnestly and truly religious. I’m able to discuss the peculiarities and proclivities of the American religious majorities

The others that I know are basically divided between “your understanding of your own faith is so farcical that we can’t talk about this” and “I’m concerned that I’d have to report you to the authorities if you keep bringing up your religion as a lens for how you feel LGBTQA+/people of color/women should be treated”.

Is my situation unique?

Mirth 4 Jan 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Most people i know in Northern Ireland go to church/chapel regularly but all of them are cool with the idea that I don't believe. I don't get ragged much and in lots of ways its quite funny. It s very different from England where no one wants to know and when I first came here I was surprised that my partner who is originally from here was subject to 'the 3 questions' and no one gave a hoot about what I might or might not be - The questions are, what school did you go to? whats your name where are you from?

I have a friend from high school who was pagan, until he started dating and converted to Christianity.
It was his own private and conscience decision and he didn't let it effect his personality.
He is still cool, and we are still friends.

Sure, like I've said before I'm surrounded by Mormons. They are generally wonderful people however misguided I find their religious beliefs. They would probably say the same about me.

I actually have an evangelical friend BUT he accepts evolution as true and is socially liberal so we have some values in common. Values are more important than beliefs that are strictly theological.

Also, he's been kicked out of two different churches, lol! One for changing his mind on evolution and the other for getting divorced (because his wife couldn't tolerate his new view on evolution.)

Yes. They're great guys and I love their kids. I ignore a lot, and bite my tongue on even more. Luckily, they don't live nearby.

Yes I do. One of my friends was even on her way to becoming a nun. She's actually quite progressive on many topics; on other things we just "agree to disagree." She's also very curious about other belief systems and looks for common ground in all of them.

Oh, yes. I generally don't engage about religion with them. A few are even hidden on Facebook because I get tired of the Jesus instagram photos. But I still love them.

I am looking forward to see my eldest sing on church. I can't wait actually.

My best friends and I tolerate each others' beliefs.

I do but we don't discuss anything like that and we just basically talk soft stuff or gossip.

My wife and I had one very close friend until my wife suggested I send her one of the first pieces I wrote on the internet. You might like it.[atheistnexus.org] She hasn't talked to us much since.

Unfortunately, yes. I also have more than my fair share of religious zealot relatives. They are constantly praying for my salvation. I am a poor example of the power of prayer. Neither God nor I am listening to them.

It's only unique in that you're out of the closest on your Atheism. mmmm a poll is needed.

At university many years ago my closest friend was a religious person. He was quite brilliant, and won a Rhodes Scholarship. But whenever we talked about religion, it was like I was talking to a different person, like a different part of he mind was in control. I've never forgotten that. In one memorable conversation he almost admitted that himself.

I have some friends who are devout. And I have other friends I know are more going through the motions for one reason or another.

I have religious friends, but not standard religious....serious Wiccans and a couple moderately serious satanists...I enjoy discussing their religious views...I would even go so far as to say their religions suit them....I can't imagine them as anything else...haha

LOL! I think that's most of us.
Best case scenario is for religion to never come up.
I still have some religious friends left because I'm a missionary kid. So if someone starts some church topic, I say "Um-hum" in a vague manner as though distracted, then change the subject at the first opportunity. If they do it more than twice, I start easing away from them, socially, suspicious that they see me as a conversion project rather than a friend.

I might add, that at this particular moment in history, it seems more difficult to maintain a good relationship as friends!

Yep, I do have such friends. I would guess anyone with earnestly religious friends experiences this situation.

Not too many..they are getting to be few and far in between.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18851
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.