Agnostic.com

44 7

Is being an atheist important?

Is it important to let people know you are an atheist?

ThomasLevi 6 Jan 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

44 comments (26 - 44)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Only when they insist on religious conversation or stepping on other people's beliefs. I don't run up to strangers and tell them I'm an athiest because that's not the only thing that makes me me. It's just a part of who I am.

It's important when forming a new relationship, but it may not be important or it may, in your work place, that varies as to where you work and in which country or which part of your country/city. Where I currently work as a teacher, religion never comes up, no one cares, and it's not relevant.

Lucky you! Seriously.

Being an Atheist is as important as being honest sane and neighborly. I was born this way and cannot imagine living my life any differently than Atheistically......I will not lie for 2 rapist popes, be irrational as bible thumpers nor threaten anyone with alleged hells nor bribe others with alleged heavens

It doesn't define me. However, it is more important to live a life based in reality and facts than one in delusions and willful ignorance.

Faith is belief in the absence of facts. Willful ignorance is belief in spite of the facts. Willful ignorance is often mislabeled as "faith" by religious persons.

It depends on the situation. If we're casual acquaintences and the subject doesn't come up, then no. If I am asked to join/do something affiliated with a church, then yes. If the person is genuinely close to me then my attitudes and proclivities will come up naturally.

Freeing oneself from the clutches of rigid ideology is what is important.

Being an atheist is natural and ordinary. We've all heard how all children are atheists until they are conditioned by adults to believe; we've all heard how everyone is an atheist for every other religion on earth but their own. And everyday experience informs us that a person's religious identification has nothing whatsoever to do with their moral behavior, which is what really counts.

I don't volunteer the information and when the subject comes up, if I have a political or business need to avoid giving offense to others, I identify as "not religious" and only use the word "atheist" if pressed. In a low-pressure situation, I treat it as both unimportant and the equivalent of any sort of religious identification.

How often do people attach importance to the color of their eyes? How much importance should be attached to that variable but immutable characteristic? That's the appropriate level of importance of a person's religious identification, which includes atheism.

I think it is best to avoid the issue at first in order for them to get to know you first. Most non-Atheists still have a prejudice against Atheists. But this is starting to change.

I think it is important for people to separate their religion and politics though I'm not sure if that is actually possible. It doesn't matter to me that I'm an atheist. It does to some people, usually the religious ones.

I don't think anyone else cares about my stance on gods, except me. With the exception of my Sister, who, out of misguided good intentions occasionally tries to "sell" Jesus, even my close friends care not one iota about my deal. But then most of my favorite folks are in my life because we each recognize the similar open status of our minds, and have respect for one another.

It's no more important to me to let the world know I'm not a believer than is is to let them know I have two hammer toes on my left foot !

Is it important, I guess that depends on the person. Is it important to let people know that also depends on the person and/or the situation.

Is not a matter of "being important" but of you feeling it's being important to you.

Personally, only if people ask and argue. I generally let people believe what they want. I try not to judge people too much because it's a free country, and lately I've not been pestered because, though people may not understand, they understand I don't judge them.

No,why should it be important?

Not the general public. Perhaps people you work with and people you live with.

My lack of faith is not something I generally advertise.

No.

Being successful in life is. If you do that as <insert belief, or lack, system here> then more power to you.

What is important is that you are happy and healthy. It is totally unimportant HOW you go about doing that.

I'm mixed on this one. Ultimately, I'm more an agnostic leaning atheist. I'm not totally "out" I guess. So for that reason it is hard to know.

Not too much.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18913
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.