Agnostic.com

27 1

How many of your friends know you are atheist or agnostic?

• 49 votes
  • 9 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 0 votes
JustLuAnn 7 Jan 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have a big family and am not close to much of my extended family, but anyone who knows me well enough to speak with me on a semi-regular basis has some idea where I stand regarding religion.

There are plenty of people that know me that don't know that I'm atheist. Anybody that I call friend knows, and I don't consider it a secret. I do stand up occasionally and I have some atheist jokes. The only time I was ever concerned about it was when my daughter was younger and I thought it might be used to argue I was an unfit parent.

If they don't know, they haven't been paying attention.

I am fairly certain that it is the reason why none of my life long friends have time for me anymore.
As they get older, the more concerned they are with heaven and the more time they spend in church. I reckon they aint allowed to hang with me.

Anybody who doesn't know at this point isn't paying attention.

All of my friends and enemies alike are fully aware of my position on fantasyland. Strangers who come within range are not, but if they are the least bit curious they shall be enlightened.

I'm like a vegan be with it! What is the old saying how do you know someone is a vegan? Oh don't worry the'll tell you.

I am that way about my atheism! \m/

I hate the term "out of the closet"! I live in a fairly rural part of Georgia (Covington, which is home of a ton of TV shows and movies such as Dukes of Hazard, In The Heat Of The Night, and, Vampire Diaries) and it us widely known that I am an Atheist. They are actually more concerned I am a Damn New York Yankee.

I don't bring it up when meeting people unless they ask me, or tell me their beliefs first. I'm not afraid to make myself known though.

I’m a huge disappointment to many

I can't answer this poll because my answer isn't there. My answer would be 'hardly any', but it's got nothing to do with my closet door. It's because the subject of religion doesn't usually come up in conversations. We don't pry into others' beliefs.

I'm a scientist ... most of my friends are atheists anyway and those that have some form of religion are spiritual or Buddhist so they are fairly easy-going. I have very few friends who I would say have any belief in a god. This question would probably cause more consternation in the USA, I think, where a belief in God is the norm in some areas.

Unfortunately, a belief in a god is the norm is most areas here. I hope to see that change, even if just a little, in my lifetime.

And if they don't like it..to damn bad..lol

Most of my friends know, but not acquaintances. I have found people, sometimes even friends, to be very judgemental. But most of my friends are of the like beliefs.

I am committed to pointing out their hypocrisy. I only hold back in front of their kids. Also funerals and such events.

I have never been in a closet.

Except as a child playing hide and seek.

Almost all of my close friends are atheist anyway and so are many of my colleagues at work. It really isn't an issue here.

I came out of the closet with a full arsenal, kicking and screaming. Anyone that does anything religious around me knows, and the people I complain to. Iv since calmed down a little bit, but I don’t get blue in the face, and my patience is nearly endless.

Everyone who knows me knows I lack belief.

Pretty much anyone that knows me well enough knows I'm an atheist. Thankfully 95% are cool and unquestioning of it, the other 5% will kinda dance around the subject and throw apologetics at me. They're not pushy or anything, but they try an downplay religion being the toxic mental cancer that I see it as.

My friends, my students, my bosses, my neighbors....ALL.

Where I live most of my friends and neighbors are the same way. Even if they are not no one cares.

It would break my parents' hearts. I think they suspect, but still hope I will find a church and godly husband.

I am going to exclude what happens here. In the outside I don't go around asking the question... christian or no christian? god or hell? church or no church. I just go about my business on my atheist way while respecting their beliefs. Some of the best dancers I know are christians and I like Dancing.

Not many. I don't wear it on my sleeve.

I have friends that I work with and I do not advertise my non-belief to them, they would start preaching to me too much. I just walk away from religious conversations.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18926
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.