There are plenty of people that know me that don't know that I'm atheist. Anybody that I call friend knows, and I don't consider it a secret. I do stand up occasionally and I have some atheist jokes. The only time I was ever concerned about it was when my daughter was younger and I thought it might be used to argue I was an unfit parent.
I hate the term "out of the closet"! I live in a fairly rural part of Georgia (Covington, which is home of a ton of TV shows and movies such as Dukes of Hazard, In The Heat Of The Night, and, Vampire Diaries) and it us widely known that I am an Atheist. They are actually more concerned I am a Damn New York Yankee.
I'm a scientist ... most of my friends are atheists anyway and those that have some form of religion are spiritual or Buddhist so they are fairly easy-going. I have very few friends who I would say have any belief in a god. This question would probably cause more consternation in the USA, I think, where a belief in God is the norm in some areas.
I came out of the closet with a full arsenal, kicking and screaming. Anyone that does anything religious around me knows, and the people I complain to. Iv since calmed down a little bit, but I don’t get blue in the face, and my patience is nearly endless.
Pretty much anyone that knows me well enough knows I'm an atheist. Thankfully 95% are cool and unquestioning of it, the other 5% will kinda dance around the subject and throw apologetics at me. They're not pushy or anything, but they try an downplay religion being the toxic mental cancer that I see it as.
I am going to exclude what happens here. In the outside I don't go around asking the question... christian or no christian? god or hell? church or no church. I just go about my business on my atheist way while respecting their beliefs. Some of the best dancers I know are christians and I like Dancing.