Agnostic.com

2 2

QUESTION Is There A Ticking Time Bomb Under The Arctic?

They could convert all that dead matter into more CO2 than humans have released since the Industrial Revolution.

In the increasingly unfrozen north, dangerous creatures are stirring back to life
For the first time in centuries, which covers a quarter of the Northern Hemisphere to depths as great as 1,000 feet — is softening, like a stick of butter left out on the counter. Embedded within it are flash-frozen plants, carcasses of extinct mammals, and microbes — including smallpox and other worrisome bugs. The noninfectious bacteria pose a threat, too:
They could convert all that dead matter into more CO2 than humans have released since the Industrial Revolution.

If you like this Article , Please "Like".

Dougy 7 Jan 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes there is..all the Co2 that's frozen into deep layers of the ocean floors can explode under warming tempetatures of surrounding waters..

Well, no - its actually Methane, but the affect is worse or the same as CO2, and has the potential of triggering some very bad events [en.wikipedia.org]

@BanjoTango
Thanks for that fact check BangoTango..I get my facts confused at times..

@BanjoTango it's both CO2 "&" Methane. The article says both .

The article says both .

@Douglas ..well I still forgot the methane..lol

Thanks for taking the trouble to investigate my friend. Concerned, I did a word search on the Article, and the only CO2 word is the title of the graph, nowhere else in the article. The actual graph ONLY shows Methane levels. BUT I did google a bit more, and looked up Tundra, in Wikipedia. The Article said Co2 and Methane were being released by warming, but when you look at the actual article they cite, it ONLY mentions Methane. [adsabs.harvard.edu] SO - I'm curious, but have no firm answers at this stage. All other observations most welcome.

A short drive north of Fairbanks, Alaska, there's a red shed stuck right up against a hillside. The shed looks unremarkable, except for the door. It looks like a door to a walk-in freezer, with thick insulation and a heavy latch. Whatever is behind that door needs to stay very cold.
"Are you ready to go inside?" asks Dr. Thomas Douglas, a geochemist at the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
Behind the door is a geological time bomb, scientists say. No one knows exactly how big the bomb is. It may even be a dud that barely detonates. But the fallout could be so large that it's felt all around the world. Now there's evidence that, in the past few years, the bomb's timer has started ticking.
Douglas opens the shed door, and we step inside. Immediately, we're standing 40 feet below ground, inside a tunnel carved into the hillside.
"That's a mammoth leg right there," Douglas says as he points to a giant femur protruding from the tunnel wall.
All around are signs of extinct creatures. Tusks poke out of the ceiling and skulls stick up from the floor. But it's the material between the bones that interests Douglas the most: the permafrost.
In the 1960s, the Army dug the tunnel so it could study this unique surface, which covers about a quarter of the Northern Hemisphere. In some places, the frozen soil extends downward more than 1,000 feet, or about the height of the Empire State Building.

Dougy Level 7 Jan 28, 2018
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19147
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.