Agnostic.com

11 11

LINK Discovery of first genetic variants associated with meaning in life -- ScienceDaily

“The fact that genetic variants for a meaning in life have been found indicates that everyone is different and that differences between people in complex processes such as a meaning in life are in part due to biological differences.“

skado 9 Oct 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Would have been nice if Bart’s last name had been James. Can’t have everything, I suppose. Great article and thanks for sharing it.

If we solely concentrate on the genetic variants in our differences the process becomes more complexed and diverse. It’s not the biological differences that creates our meanings in life but our similarities. Buddha and Jesus had genetic variants but their similarities where reflected in their meaning towards life.

I doubt Jesus even existed.
Maybe a "genetic variant" created the vivid imaginations of those who created 'him.'

Also.. "WHAT IS THE MEANING OF LIFE?" The simplest questions in the world, become complex when filtered thru a dissecting mind, which breaks things down into smaller pieces looking for something that does not exist like a god particle. At that level of connection all you find is how to produce the tip of a black hole(which is what we are designed to do).

The answer to the question can be done in one word.

I will offer two clues: What are you asking for? And a riddle: the answer is in the question...

Gotta start some place. I thought I would open this to more than a reply to an existing reply.
You speak an understanding which compels me to reach out. I have a simple theory on what caused all this. We don't know ourselves! We are gaining understanding of self. But we will never fully connect, for one simple reason. And that reason is the way we reason. We reason with a fear based vanity. Created naturally by design. All you need to do is mix up the timeline at the start, which nativity guaranteed. How could we know that the body needed to mature to an upright position before the mind would also be fully matured to initiate thought for the very first time (we would have no memory(religion) of evolution, science just the results). The end result, since thought is based on memory, we would not have known what it was. It would have been like a voice talking to us. We were literally spawn by the results of a schizophrenic break which created two invisible deities. One making us do good and one bad. Even after we became self aware we did not have enough information to argue our original assessment and spent the rest of our lives teaching ourselves that our very own choices are the result of two entities which do not exist. And all the conversation since then although intelligent, is ALL wrong, as its all based on something that clearly does not exist. Love to talk about...if you can perceive?

Interesting but I get the feeling I may need more background before I can follow the train of thought.

So some things could be bred out..... or bred in. Interesting.

Great now how can we use this information to better the world and get this message out to the human race to stop killing each other?

That’s not gonna happen. I believe Confucius said it.

Everything human is based in genetics.

That title does not convey an accurate image. What the study really shows is that genetic differences in the neuro-system make a difference in a person's PERCEPTION of meaning in life.

You speak an understanding which compels me to reach out. I have a simple theory on what caused all this. We don't know ourselves! We are gaining understanding of self. But we will never fully connect, for one simple reason. And that reason is the way we reason. We reason with a fear based vanity. Created naturally by design. All you need to do is mix up the timeline at the start, which nativity guaranteed. How could we know that the body needed to mature to an upright position before the mind would also be fully matured to initiate thought for the very first time (we would have no memory(religion) of evolution, science just the results). The end result, since thought is based on memory, we would not have known what it was. It would have been like a voice talking to us. We were literally spawn by the results of a schizophrenic break which created two invisible deities. One making us do good and one bad. Even after we became self aware we did not have enough information to argue our original assessment and spent the rest of our lives teaching ourselves that our very own choices are the result of two entities which do not exist. And all the conversation since then although intelligent, is ALL wrong, as its all based on something that clearly does not exist. Love to talk about...if you can perceive?

@Sameasis Please tell me what you are trying to say in a simple statement that is clear in and of itself.

So it deals with the meaning of life on a local level. Is this really anything new though? People have thought this for a long time, but I guess there is just research behind it now. Also, what does this say about free will, if anything? I find the theme of free will coming up a lot in terms of more scientific analysis and/or breakthroughs.

My theory would state that Free Will does not exist. What we do is determined by the imagined story our EMS is imagining. Even outside of my theory, however, is lots of scientific research indicating our decisions are made before we are aware of them. Our choices are predictable.

@rainmanjr I don't think free will exists either. At the very most, it's very limited free will. I've seen the studies about making choices and seeing the choice being made like up to 9 seconds before it's carried out. One thing though, what is EMS? Electromagnetic signal or spectrum?

The link is rather tantalizing but it falls far short of explaining the claim. I need to see more before issuing an opinion.

The article is here: [nature.com]

I am skeptical of studies such as these, where the study participants are asked about their happiness. First, there was no definition of happiness given. Second, depending on the individual's culture, they may be more apt to describe themselves as happy. Third, there seems to be, in science, a trend to attribute too much to genetics, while ignoring other factors, such as upbringing and free will.

I totally agree.

So, if we can identify symptoms of depression, why could we not identify the opposite? And are you saying that people, when asked, wouldn't be able to tell you if they were happy unless you gave them a definition for it? What a buzzkill that survey might be! "I'm happy!" "No you're not, says so right here!"

Attribute too much to genetics? Are you saying that environmental factors are ignored, because that is not what I read.

"We also find that there are environmental factors that are important for happiness, but not for meaning and vice versa."

Once again, if a genetic marker(s) may be assoicated with depression, why would one think it unlikely that a lack of same marker would not be associated with a lack of depression (i.e., happiness)? Finally, a data set comprised of 220,000 respondents is significant.

@p-nullifidian "Once again, if a genetic marker(s) may be assoicated with depression, why would one think it unlikely that a lack of same marker would not be associated with a lack of depression (i.e., happiness)?"

Is absence of evidence an evidence of absence? Maybe the probability is higher, but it still might not be sufficient correlation.

@Piece2YourPuzzle Agreed. And in any case, correlation is not causation. My question implies that contentment (or happiness, if you prefer) might be the default setting. No evidence for this either, just a thought.

I found it interesting how the study separated what they termed hedonism and eudaimonia. They classified happiness under hedonism and meaning of life under eudaimonia. I would think it would be opposite of that, though. Hedonism, to me, would be better described as pleasure, whereas eudaimonia would be closer to happiness. Of course, the participants in the study probably didn't know the terms were being used at all.

Also, to quote Dr. House, from "House M.D.": "People lie." I would guess that, if asked if they are happy, some people might lie.

@sfvpool I agree that happiness is not given a definite meaning, but then you bring in "free will". Touche.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:193418
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.