Agnostic.com

16 3

Is there a memory you would want to relive?

Let's say there was an event in your life where you and your sibling joined one of your parents in a particular activity, and that parent has passed these many years later. Odds are that the two of you would not remember every moment of that event exactly the same - possibly even completely divergent recollections. So...
Stipulating that we have no pure, subjective memories: If you were offered a chance to watch a video of a moment that has become one of your memories - a video taken from a distance that is completely subjective, not tainted by any emotional bias - would you do it? What moment would that be? Would the memory be one you recall as joyous, or one that you recall as hurtful?
I don't expect you to share the specifics, it's more of a thought experiment.

TammieOldham 3 Jan 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Trying to think of something it occurs to me, Memory is the reliving and the re-reliving of events, experiences and as you say, is quite plastic. The events themselves is no doubt what you meant and what most would gather from the question. Few lining up for the reliving of a recollection. Now I have to wonder if it would not be the same thing in any event. I cannot imagine how something like this may actually be done and even the simulation of which would be bogglingly complicated. I really could not come up with a event I would wish to relive, then I realized I did not find the idea of re-experiencing portions of my life meaningful, so no motivation.

The memory I will like to relive over and over... Is still to happen. Maybe in a year. I simply has not maxed out in my level up. So how can I say? Is not going to be about sex or the most beautiful woman on my bed asking me what I want. Nah, got to be bigger than that.

Losing my virginity to my first love.

When I was growing up, when my Mom's family got together, my uncles always played music. My Mother was usually the vocalist. At the time, I didn't play music instruments that they played. Did play Trumpet and French Horn in high school band. Now that I can play banjo, bass, mandolin would like to be on the porch playing with my uncles, and my Mom singing.

I’ve got 2 decades I’d want to watch

I'd choose when I saw Star Wars for the first time..I was stunned at the opening scene.

The theater shook with the sound, time stopped. It's never been the same since.

I think this question is being misinterpreted - even if your memory is exceptional, you won't remember the event/moment the exact same way someone else who experienced that same event at the same time as you. [quora.com] : "Because memory is subjective. Each time you remember an event it is rebuilt and then deconstructed again to be stored. It is not a picture or a movie, it is a painting being painted each time you access it. Try and make the same painting over and over again (no peeking at the last one), the last painting would most likely be quite different from the first. Two people who witnessed the same event will have different memories of this event, and as time progresses more and more errors will slip in." Which memory would you want to revisit objectively?

I'd probably choose some of the times with my grandfather. But it'd mean a lot more if this time I was the grandfather and my grandson was me.

The only memories that I would love to have a 're-do' on, would be my children's childhood...I was somewhat 'out to lunch,' mechanicly living for a 5-10 year period. As a parent, that kind of thing never leaves us and we must listen to their hurt and disappointments from that time...so it becomes a long drawn out process, to the hear and now.

I want to relieve my thru hike in the Appalachian Trail. The journey from Maine To Georgia was one that will forever be a part of me.

There are many.. My father left me at an early age from heart disease so I never had the chance to grow up with my dad. Miss my childhood years with my parents. Wish I could relive some of those.

Wow, my life is full of memories that I would want to relive, again and again, ad infinitum.

I would like to relive all the magical family holidays to the beach we took when I was a kid to The Coromandel. [hahei.co.nz] You may recognize those beaches from the movie Narnia.
This was back when the roads were gravel, the was just a few beach houses and one shop, and it was paradise. It still is paradise, but now the secret is out, the old beach houses have been knocked down and replaced with Mansions, the roads and sealed, the tourists come, and its very busy. Though still everyday you can put your legs in the water and watch a pod of Orcas swim by or you can play with some wild dolphins. Its a magical place. Now the holiday houses here get booked out years in advance, I wish to go back to when I was a kid having fun with my family before when times for me were innocent and the secret of the most amazing area in the whole of New Zealand was not out yet.

Sacha Level 7 Jan 29, 2018

My first love and the whole summer I spent in San Francisco back in the late sixties.

I was on Safari in East Africa. We were crossing the Serengeti in a four wheeler jeep. The radio was playing, and that great song "Africa" by "Toto" came on !

I was leaning against the window, looking out at amazing animals, and singing along at the top of my lungs ! It just doesn't get any better !!

Just one. That's my one, and it's just for me.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19347
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.