Agnostic.com

26 2

I call myself a catholic agnostic, what do you call yourself?

Throughout my many journeys into religion, I finally settled on Catholicism, bothered to go through the 9 month adult catechism process not once but twice and when that was all over, the scandal broke on priests molesting parish children. It was then that I decided to take my four minor children out of the church and not return. So I was nothing, then became a Catholic and now am an agnostic.

Ash831 4 Oct 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I call myself Andy. But you can call me anything, just don't call me late for dinner.

I'm a lapsed Presbyterian free thinking atheist; 54 years lapsed.

The Catholic Church is a disgrace . The pedophilIa is rampent and the church buys silence and just moves the pedophiles from one parish to another. I have no idea why anyone would want to identify as a Catholic . I am a born again skeptic .

I agree. I converted as an adult prior to the knowledge of the pedophilia and other crimes the Catholics had committed, frankly. Once my eyes were opened, I quickly left the church and let everyone that I know, especially my Catholic friends, my reasons for leaving.

I tend to use the philosophical agnostic yet practical atheist. I have also, on occasions, used apatheist.

Creative!

Agnostic, Atheist, Humanist, Secularist, Skeptic, Freethinker.
If asked I just say atheist. If pressed to be more specific, I"ll say agnostic atheist and explain I'm agnostic because I can't be 100% sure whether a god does or doesn't exist.
I'm an atheist not because I'm claiming god doesn't exist, but I'm rejecting a claim that one does.

I am NOT an "atheist", because I refuse to even comment on the thousands of silly beliefs in just one foolish religion. So you believe that 'Jeezuz' came back from the dead. In the information age how can you have such a belief? Is there anything you WON"T believe? Second point: procreation was 'provided' by Nature- and that's what priests should be doing- instead of claiming celibacy- then buggering children. I am an agnostic- I do not know the reason for Nature and I have no idea whether Nature is cognitive or not, and I will not fill the void with brainless, religious misconceptions.

I like it!

Atheist...I always has been one.

Anti-religious. I believe that anyone that believes in any religion or god should be in a mental hospital getting help. I think less of religious people, especially their intelligence.

Atheist, Secular Humanist, Skeptic and Freethinker all fit.

gearl Level 8 Oct 29, 2017

Just an atheist. I dont' want to carry a label tht has anythign to do with the oppressive religion I grew up with.

I'm guessing you're hanging on to Catholicism because there is something in the teachings that you identify with. Like many the exposing of the inappropriate behavior of those in positions of power is revolting and you're repulsed by the thought of the people who are to blame but again something in the teachings has you intrigued. Whatever that is can probably be also found in human endeavor and rightful thinking. I suggest letting go of the label and going with solely Agnostic will lead to further revelations leading you away from organized religion and closer to a more sensible way of thinking about the human condition and where you and your family fit within it in regards to life and living a moral ethical lifestyle.

SamL Level 7 Oct 22, 2017

Great points! They don't pertain to me but I can see how someone could be that way. I refer to myself that way to highlight my own spiritual journey and to encourage others to do the same. It's always been helpful to me to see how others do things I'd like to do and then do it my way. I always appreciate those that provide a brave example. I wasn't raised with any religion and quickly saw through the travesty and lies of organized religion. What drew me there was the mystagogy and such but I don't follow any of it now. Peace and love to you.

Ash---- you are so lucky- you didn't have to go through hell. I don't have to worry about going to fictitious hell; I've already been there. My old mother wasn't particularly religious- just uneducated and crazy. Being beaten was a daily occurrence- from the 'little runt' (when a kid is six and seven, runts are big). Sunday was the "end of the week because it was the seventh day", and because it was a "day of rest", if a kid so much as moved it was time for another beating. Forget about Constantine and his adjusting the Sabbath so that it wasn't a day of worship the same as the Jews; she wouldn't have the smallest inkling of who Constantine was.

I call myself "Jewish/agnostic". I sometimes think that I'm a Buddhist but I don't self-identify as one.

Just don't wind up like Daniel Perl!

I am also a little confused, so are you a believer in the catholic doctrine but offended at the actions of the clergy, or do you now as a result of those actions of the clergy now repudiate those beliefs that you formally were convinced of.

Great questions; I was raised nothing, converted to Catholicism as an adult and almost immediately (1+year) discovered the horrors that are now public knowledge and was made aware of the crimes against humanity perpetrated by them so removed my entire family from the church and now share that story with others, especially my still practicing Catholic friends, in order to highlight that change and model the possibility of such.

These days, I identify myself simply as an atheist just to be clear. I do have a background in Buddhism, though, and sometimes I refer to myself as The Whiskey Buddhist.

Atheist/evidentialist/rationalist

Humanist also fits, but I don't use it often as a descriptive because the challenged fold don't have an inkling of what it really means. The others they are pretty good and close guessing.

I'm an atheist and have been for quite some time. I was raised Southern Baptist and have dated all across the spectrum, so I got to experience different religions 'up-close and personally'. I'm very comfortable being an atheist and can't imagine seeing the world in any other way.

A Christian Atheist; as I grew up and live in a christian culture.

mzee Level 7 Oct 22, 2017

Lutheran pagan.

Just an agnostic who is not compelled to make judgements about what other people believe but who is quick and unafraid to defend what I belief.

Im in the process of watching "The Keepers" on Netflix. It is not helping my dislike of them as an organization.

I'm an SGI Buddhist. Believe the purpose in my life is to attain happiness, and help bring the same to others. I don't have time for all of the activities that SGI is involved with (I'm a small business owner) but I do follow the ideas behind Nichiren Buddhism.

I just call ,myself David, and leave it at that.

NPC- non practicing catholic

I am definitely an atheist, but because I know how that label is heard by most people, I don't mention it unless I'm in friendly open minded company and it's important to the conversation.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1967
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.