Agnostic.com

9 2

Can you be a Wiccan and call yourself an Atheist?

Before I get harsh replies, I'm not judging. I dated a Wiccan and she's one of the most intelligent people I know. I dated her over 25 years ago and we are still friends.

paul1967 8 Oct 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

no they have deity figures that they worship maiden mother and crone that sounds familiar no

Wiccans seem to be all over the map ... some are said to be atheists or agnostics. So I suppose it's possible, though one wonders why one who had no belief in the supernatural would desire to claim to be a Wiccan.

Maybe agnostic.. but the wiccan belief system has a higher power, so I have to say no.

Wiccans tend to be nice, decent, rational, and welcoming people. It is though, as a belief system, dependent on the acceptance of the linked spirituality of all of nature. Therefore, you can’t be Wiccan and an atheist/agnostic. However, they don’t believe in a head honcho, god, or whatever you want to call it. But it’s the spiritual element that is the disqualifier. All of them that I’ve had contact with have no time for, or belief in, any of the tenets of any religion you can think of. And they themselves don’t consider Wicca to be a religion; rather, it’s a way of life.

atheism, not being a religion, has no handbook, rules or organization. all it has is its definition, on which not every disagrees, but the two in contention are:

1. the lack of belief that any gods exist

2. the belief that no gods exist

atheism isn't "lack of religion." it isn't "anger at god." it's one of the two things, or both of the two things, i named above. if your belief is not about one of those two things, you can still correctly call yourself an atheist. (it's not a matter of "can you do this or that" except "can you correctly call yourself an atheist." )

i don't know enough about wicca to know whether it is compatible with atheism, but some of the responses below lead me to believe that wicca itself is not incompatible but that some wiccans are atheists and others are not. i guess it's like vegetarians: some vegetarians play chess and some don't.

g

Ages ago I belonged to a fairly large online quilting group of Witches. They came from several different belief angles. There were several that were Christian. Some were Buddhist. Most of them would probably just consider themselves spiritual. There was truly quite a range of beliefs in that group. Even the practices and "witch" beliefs varied a great deal. I might have been the only Atheist in the group though. I'd gotten sick and tired of all the god crap on all the other quilting groups and they were accepting and welcoming where the Christian groups tended to be rather judgmental.

Overall they were a very caring and giving group.

No. Anyone who uses candles and spells to influence spirits isn't an atheist.

So long as you profess no conviction in the existence of a god or gods, you are an atheist.
My wife is a Druid but associates with many wiccans she is not an atheist since she holds a belief in nature as a deity some wiccans hold a belief in the divine feminine and the male principle sometimes personified as Cernunnos or Herne but that is not her personal system of belief.

I’m not going to claim it’s something I know a great deal about. As an atheist, I have zero believe in any gods, the supernatural, ghosts, witches, etc.. but that’s just me. There’s a continuum of everyone’s own beliefs or lack there of.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:198132
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.