Agnostic.com

14 3

My dads on life support and the minister visits?

My father spent his life as a scientist and became quite acclaimed. 60+ chemical patents, textbook authorship, several publications in prestigious journals. Despite this he was always a “cultural” Christian. His minister (who I profusely dislike for being a spineless nitwit) comes to his bedside as he’s on life support. Now my mom and sister thinks this is wonderful. I just gave her dirty looks and barely exchanged pleasantries. Would you have told her to go away? Told her this is my time with my dad and I don’t want you here? Or would you have done the same since it’s what Mom wanted?

RobInRealLife 4 Jan 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would respect your dad's faith and the minister's devotion, to be flat out honest your personal opinion is largely irrelevant but I would have thought there should have been, or should be, private time if you wanted it.

The minister and your dad must have had some relationship, so respect the minister's visit for that alone. However, it made your mom happy, so that's even more reason to accept the gesture. You are in control of your dad's life, he is still living it. This isn't really about you, so you don't need to own it. If you hold service for you dad after he passes, be kind and share the occasion with everyone who needs the closure for themselves.

I went through the same thing with my mom. As a long-distance observer, I think the minister visits gave her comfort, though she was not a strong believer, rather, she too was a cultural Christian. Personally, I was very happy that she (nor my father, who passed 8 years earlier) did not want any kind of service. So it was just me and my brother putting the urns in their final resting places.

my father passed on 3 years ago. He was never religious. he was not brought up that way. He had a PhD in electrical engineering and always seemed very anti-religious. Despite this as he was dieing he .came to trust the minister of the church that my mom sang in the choir of. As a distant observer of living 1100 miles away, I thought this as being odd, yet respected it. It seemed to me while my dad was in hospice care that this minister was able to provide him with peace and in the grand scheme of things I appreciated that. Despite that, it was a weird service for my father when this same minister took my father's passing as an opportunity to preach about Jesus rather then rememebr the person who was my father. I found that irritating and not really what what my dad would have wanted. .

If it is just you there, you can tell them to come back at a more appropriate time. However, if your whole family is there, you should go with what your mother wants. But when it is your time alone with him I would feel free to boot the minister.

It's kind of important to consider this person was chosen by your parents as a spiritual leader, even if you don't feel they are the best people.

You need your time with him...politely say that...I want MY OWN TIME ...hope it helps...and sorry for your pain

I'm so sorry for the pain you are going through.

If the minister's visit provided your mom and sister a measure of comfort for a little while, your self-control would be a gift to them. Maybe if you try to see it from that perspective it might help to alleviate your frustration.

Betty Level 8 Jan 31, 2018

not easy to answer

I am so sorry to hear about your dad. Your hurt is natural, just be with your Dad and allow others the same. There is little that you can do about them and you want to honor your last moments with your Dad. The minute I read your story, I remembered the death bed story of Tomas Paine, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. Another member of Congress, who was a preacher, came to his deathbed and knowing that Paine was a non-believer his whole life, was there trying to 'save him!' These people are lacking in respect for others...not like them! You are your main concern at this moment, just be...that is all that can be done now. I care.

The theists circle like vultures at the hospital when people are the most vulnerable. I recall being sick once and replied no thanks to an offer to 'visit' with me. He looked very shocked and hurt I refused. That fantasy world they live in is annoying sometimes; I wonder if they get paid by the hospital?.

jeffy Level 7 Jan 31, 2018

Let your mother have her way. This is really, imho, not your decision; and your father didn't even know she was there, right? So, why upset your mom? Just to be clear, though, was the minister monopolizing the visiting time? If so, that's different.

No she stayed about an hour. I found people to talk to and said “oh... I got an important call.”

Tough call. The peace of mind of your mom and sister matters too, but honoring what your father would have wanted comes first I think. He might have wanted it just for their sake. But I’d set a 10 minute timer.

The minister might stay an hour, probably less. You have the other 23 hours. Focus on that, give your dad every bit of those 23 hours.

I'd have told her to get the fuck out.

I personally would have "got the fuck out" myself and returned after the visit was over. Of course that would depend on the immediate condition of my father, but if he is on life support, I would imagine that is keeping him alive and will continue to do so. (IMHO)

I like your spirit, if not your tact

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19895
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.