Agnostic.com

2 0

LINK Hoax papers: The shoddy, absurd and unethical side of academia

three academics – Helen Pluckrose, James Lindsay and Peter Boghossian – revealed a project they had been working on for a year. By writing 20 hoax articles, which they submitted to academic journals for peer review, they set out to show that ideology and poor scholarship abound in academic fields that they characterise as “grievance studies”.

Matias 8 Oct 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This has happened before. With the ease to check sources now by computer one would think this and plagiarism would be getting more difficult. To many academics aren't availing themselves of the usable technology.

I think all this is a good thing. If more people make hoax papers the respected journals need to be more critical which leads to better results. Two things to note though. First, apparently one paper already drew attention for being bad before they revealed the hoax. Even if it was after publishing this still shows that you can't just publish anything. The damage might already been done but there is at least a minimal amount of self correction there. The standards in general need to be higher and a bigger emphasis should be on trying to reproduce old result.
The second thing is that they didn't chose to do this in the hard sciences. Subjects like gender and race are a much easier target for such a thing for various reasons. So I think the title is a bit sensationalist because it implies that it's about academia (or science) in general.

Dietl Level 7 Oct 15, 2018

There is good and bad science in all disciplines. In the humanities you are on much weaker ground but that doesn't discredit the important questions they try to answer.
The usual terms are 'hard science' for physics, chemistry ect. and 'soft science' for psychology, economics ect. I don't like the term "real" science in this context because it implies that the others aren't real.
We have to be clear what we this critique can actually show us. I don't think it can call into question the whole discipline but only points outs flaws in methodology and rigour.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:201577
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.