Agnostic.com

30 12

LINK 'There is no God,' says Stephen Hawking in final book

CNN's review of "Brief Answers to the Big Questions"

PBuck0145 7 Oct 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments (26 - 30)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Normal rational human , i look foward to reading the
book entirely. Thanks

Stephen Hawking is wrong. Period. He did not prove that God does not exist. He may have proven that "within the confines of our current knowledge of the universerse", there is no need for God's existence. But to extrapolate that God therefore absolutely can not exist is an error in logic. Let's suppose for a second that there is a God, and that he even has an infuence on our world now. Then as Mr. Hawkings studies the universe, and determines that it works just fine with only the laws of phyics, how could he know that God created those laws of physics, and could manipulate them at will whenever he chooses to. The answer is obviously that Mr. Hawkings would have no way of knowing that. And having no knowledge of something does NOT disprove it's existence....contrary to Mr. Hawking's ego driven assertions.

Please cite the article where Hawking claims to "prove" the non-existence of a god.

@PBuck0145 I must plead guilty to not having first found a direct quote from Hawking, before making my post. I think I had read someone else's version of the particlulars. Upon doing a little more research because of your comment, it seems that Hawking was a bit vague and inconsistant on the topic. I did, however come across quotes regarding a video interview for El Mundo newspaper journalist Pablo Jauregui, in which Hawking had been asked to clarify some earlier statements. Among Hawking's quotes were that "miracles of religion aren't consistant with scientific fact"...and "we would know everything that God would know if there was a God, but there isn't". I assume a man of his scientic stature would not make such a declarative statement unless he felt it had been proven. Since I am a staunch agnostic, I put great value in the notion that it is incorrect to say that god absolutely does exist, or that god absolutely does not exist. I back off my assertion that he claimed to have personally proven non existence of God, but I maintain that his thinking on the subject is incorrect. >>>>>>> This is funny. After posting this reply, I looked back at your post that I was commenting on....and it says "There is no God", says Stephen Hawking in final book. I can't stop laughing.....

God is probably some aliens who came here thousands, maybe millions of years ago, ala 2001 A Space Odyssey.

Why would they do that? And why would they go away again? And where is the evidence that they were here?

It's more likely that there's no God and no aliens (at least not coming here).

@Paul4747 There is nothing to explain humans, unless evolving a smarter brain just made us weirder than anything else in the animal kingdom. That's why I said that...But I agree that there is no evidence for aliens. We could be alone in the universe. Nothing necessitates any other life anywhere else. Perhaps we are truly alone.

I'd like to know why he thinks time travel back in time is possible. How does he resolve the Grandfather Paradox? Unless, he thinks that going back in time would spin off a parallel universe.

read his fucking books, or study astro physics, or get a Nobel prize , anyway you can't ask him now cause he's dead, what's your hypothesis ?

Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. I usually end up tripping and falling on my face.

oscar wilde, to para: some of us may be laying in the gutter but we're looking at the stars.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:202605
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.