Agnostic.com

12 12

It appears that all of us here have something in common. That is, going against the main stream and having to deal with being different from the main stream. For some this is very difficult and the challenge can be overwhelming. It's worth it. Recently, friends of mine insisted I read a book I would like to recommend, in case you haven't read it. DYING TO BE ME by Anita Moorjani. You will see how this is a life or death struggle and how important it is to be YOU. Wayne Dyer elected to contribute the forward of this book. The story is amazing and true.

think-beyond 7 Feb 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You are right about a common vein among people that come to a site like this one. I would like to offer one extra layer of complexity. At some point during my adolescence I became aware of my tendency to do things differently or of having opinions that were not the common ones. But for me, it was a source of respect and consideration from family, friends and acquaintances. The layer I want to add is this: I bet, without having any data to back up my opinion, other than my own experience, that the majority of those who struggle due to this uniqueness are women. I see that there is a nefarious trait in our especies that permeates into all aspects of our existence and that has to be dealt with. Women are expected to conform and therefore it is a struggle just to be you when you are different in any way. We all have work to do on this one.

When I was young, religion just wasn't a problem to strike from reality to me and honestly didn't affect me much. I did as a child try to fit in because of peer pressure before I realised who the sheep were.

I have been an independant and a plays well alone person since I popped out of the womb - 2 minutes b4 my identical twin. We look alike but that's where the sameness ends. I have never felt it was a struggle, there were trying times but mostly I just like being me an fuck 'em if they can't take a joke. Thanks for the book recommendation and letting me go on about me.

I live in the South, so it tends to be extra difficult, especially in terms of finding friends or lovers. Liberal and non-religious in the Bible belt! Ugh. Oh, family gatherings are a hoot, lemme tell ya!

I can imagine

Perhaps one day you'll move. Was it Castaneda who said - we all need to find our spot.

I've always wanted to move, and been close. However, something always stops me, in some way, from doing so. Like the Truman show! Is my shitty existence a shitty TV show!?!

Although I'd stopped attending church years earlier, I lost the rest of my traditional Christian faith about 2010,
I moved to Thailand soon afterward, and have had peace and quiet since about religion, since Thai Buddhism accepts everyone.

I'm still mulling over and deciding what I do believe, though, and haven't commented to my relatives about it, although I strongly objected to the alt-right Facebook hate memes of my childhood Haiti missionary kid (MK) friends.
This made me a target, in turn, from religious fanatics on an MK Facebook page I used to visit regularly.

But I defriended the people posting hate memes, and curtailed visits to the MK Facebook page.

I'm planning return to the US soon, where my relatives are nominally religious, but United Methodist, and mostly liberal in their outlooks, especially on my mother's (aristocratic) side of the family.

I do not find it much of a challenge being an Athiest as there are quite a few Athiests and agnostics living in New Zealand.but officially the seperation between state and church is a bit farcicle as they have RI in a lot of public schools and the national anthem has god defend our free land.

Sounds like it reflects an experience no one would invite but all of us would cherish.

I surely have found that premise, to be true and I have not read the book yet! It is comforting to know that I am not alone anymore. I was rebelling for quiet a long time, just to maintain my strength to be ME in the world. The rebellion in me has quieted down and if this Web site shut down tomorrow, I will know there are a lot of other people, who see the world in non religious terms. And we are perfectly normal people, (might be a little more so), I need not prove my value in the world, just my character! I'm happy.

You do not have to prove ANYTHING to the world.

Profound!

@jlynn37 I guess you have a point. I need to be a good and decent person, never go about trying to prove...'cause no two people see us in the same light and different still, as we see ourselves!

I've known a lot of brilliant and talented people. Those who have highly visible jobs like medical/health practitioner /doctor or politician/litigation lawyer usually are forced to hide or control their eccentricities.

But once you get into computer developers or laboratory behind the scenes types- they eccentricities can run wild.

Did not known that...thanks

Interesting to know.

You can say that again. We are accused of the most stupid things ever....,like suffering arthritis / no finding a mate or a good job as punishment for not believing in god.

"Miracles" and "going to the other side?" I think I will skip this book, but thanks.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
Robert Frost

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20288
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.