Agnostic.com

45 12

At a certain age, should people be re-tested for their ability to drive?

There was a woman who worked with me before. She said her husband was in his 70s. He couldn't see well, but he'd roll down the windows when he drove so that he could hear when he was driving. 😮 She was worried his driver's license would be taken away... it was a big inconvenience, but she said he was good at navigating by hearing. :\ Now, this man obviously shouldn't be driving, but...

it makes me think

Is it discrimination to test for driving capability after a certain age? If it were to be tested, what kind of test should it be?
Some states just do vision tests. Should it be more thorough? Or, no test at all?

silvereyes 8 Feb 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

45 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I took my mom's car away from her because I did not want her to drive. She took a cab to my house early in the morning, and got in the car and drove it through the front porch of my neighbor's house. My brother, sister and I then took my mother's car keys away from her because she kept saying that she thinks that she will be better and will be able to drive soon. My cousin then came to Florida from New York, and took the car back with him Yes at a certain age they should be tested.

In all honesty, as shitty as most people drive... Everyone should be retested every... Say 5 years

@dbaecht I'm starting to think either the requirements have gotten more loose... Or they just pass people anyway.

I've always felt like everyone should be retested about every 10 years or so. Even good drivers start to slack after a while and refresher courses wouldn't hurt.

I've never understood why we don't have mandatory retests after every 10 years. It would generate a huge amount of money and employ a lot more driving instructors etc. Drivers would think much harder about their driving and try not to let their skills slip between tests too.

I'd also support a mandatory higher-level test 1 year after passing your initial test, to try to get the standards higher once a driver has a bit of experience under their belt.

I renewed my license about a week ago, and I had to take a 30-second eye-test.

Just test everybody, whenever they renew, for whatever skills are necessary to drive safely: vision, hearing, reaction time, cognition, whatever. It doesn't have to be about age.

I will be 70yr old very soon. I agree that as we age the ability to drive a vehicle safely diminishes. The test should be more than a visual check. I know some in their 80's are just as capable as those in their 40's or 50's.

I would like a driving skill test having seen accidents caused by a lack therof.

Yes... I wanted to turn my dad in before he killed somebody... that asshole... he finally stopped driving when I told him whats mom going to do with out you...?

Funny but my grandmother was of an age when she had been given a license without passing any test. So when my grandfather died she could technically drive but she put herself through an Advanced Driver training course to just prove she was safe. Then 20 years on when she felt her skills weren't as sharp as she wanted them to be she just handed her license in and gave it up, all of her own volition. I really respected her for doing both those things because so many others wouldn't have done it.

My father is 85 and I keep a close eye on him. I think there should be something in place to make sure they are still capable of driving.

I've always been a firm believer in testing elderly drivers, but much like the phrase, "Thirty is old," I now say the word elderly is subjective. I just don't think we should should wait until the first accident to test. It may be too late for someone.

Yessss, especially for older folks. They may feel it's discrimination but the truth is a lot changes as we age. I'd be OK with having to be tested every decade though. I think that's fair. There most certainly are younger people who could use more lessons, or shouldn't be driving.

I think of the hot rodders with their blaring music so they cannot hear outside traffic and load mufflers plus the bumper huggers that I really hate along with the 35 miler on the highway!

Yes Silvereyes, there should be re testing for older folk. I have been quite happy to undergo this age test twice and found it to be relevant. Eye Tests, memory tests, heart condition and I guess a quick assessment to see if I am Ga Ga or not. Age brings many shortcomings and the road is dangerous enough without the problems brought on by age deterioration.

Yes! I'm surprised my mother hasn't killed someone yet, and the older she gets the worse she drives.

Everyday is a driving test with all the idiots on the road.

jeffy Level 7 Feb 2, 2018

Sometimes it has nothing to do with there age how terrible they are

Yes, absolutely . I see too many seniors on the road who can no longer drive safely. it's bad for them as well as others.

Yes. All drivers should be re-tested when they reach the age of 65, and tested again every 6 years. I say this as a man of 80 who gave up driving on my own at the age 0of 65 due to vision problems.

Thank you

I think that people of all ages should be tested more often than we do now. Eyesight, mental capacity, etc. can change over a short amount of time. There is no reason people should risk other people's lives. Not for pride, not for convenience, not for any reason.

Absolutely yes they should be tested regularly after a certain age. My grandmother got cancer and gave hers up willingly when she became too sick to drive.

I was Tboned 15ish years ago by a 74 year old woman who did not see my hunter green at 9am and rammed me right behing my seat with an ancient pontiac. Destroyed my car and I have permanent issues with my neck

Last month a friend was side swiped by a 90 something old woman who never realized she had hit someone. Fell asleep while the cops were running her info.

I hear stories like the above time and time again. My insurance company told me years ago that the elderly are the cause of most claims. Texting and driving have replaced that now I'm told

I think everyone should be retested every five years, then every two if the examiner at five years declares it necessary in her/his opinion, and sent for mandatory re-training if required.

Jnei Level 8 Feb 2, 2018

I have to get my eyes checked every 5 years, have not done a driving test for 43 years, in a few years I get the yearly eye test. However I think a refresher evey 5-10 years could be good as road rules change.

Retest every 10 yrs.

people aged at different rates and lose their reaction time and yes they should be tested for their reaction time and the ability to cope with the world in real driving test I live in the state of Illinois and they do test older drivers more frequently. I believe it is 85 you have to take a test every year.

dc65 Level 7 Feb 2, 2018

and some people are just crap always

Yes - every 10yrs if no tickets, and every 5yrs with any infractions. All ages !

After 65, vision/hearing/and reflex testing as well.

But I know , due to staff shortages, that's all highly unlikely.

It seems reasonable that when your reflexes and vision start to generally degrade that you should be retested on a regular basis (maybe every 2-3 years?). It should be done more frequent than regularly renewing a driver's license every 5 years. It's not discrimination. It's common sense and precautionary.

At 79 I hate to admit it but yes so should anyone who has more than 3 tickets in a year and the 2nd dui should have license taken away until they have successfully completed an AA course plus suspended period. I would also like to see bumper huggers loose their license! The test should be a driving skills test and eye test and I have been blind in one eye for 20 years but have 20/20 in other eye.

My state require yearly driver's license renewal for seniors over the age of 75, which includes a vision test.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20315
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.