Agnostic.com

29 5

Finish This Statement: I Believe I Am Smarter Than Most People I Encounter Because.....

Please Finish this statement with your honest answer:

"I believe I am smarter than most people I encounter because:"

I am curious why a person can assume their intelligence is superior to another. How do you arrive at this conlcusion?

twshield 8 Feb 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"...because I've been around long enough and seen enough to know that most people don't have as many questions as I do. Most people think they know things, and stop there. All I have is my ignorance, my curiosity, and an insatiable drive to eliminate the former by satisfying the latter. But each answer only opens up more questions--so as my knowledge increases, my ignorance increases exponentially. I'm getting more and more ignorant the more I learn. And that makes me smart."

@stinkeye_a as usual, philosophical. 🙂

Coincidentally, I was going to write something similar to this to a redneck on Facebook. I don't want to open a can of worms by stating what his comment was about but I was going to tell him that I have spent 14 years in college, have earned three degrees, and have had about 12 years of psycho-therapy ( some quite intense ) which is nothing but a more personal and intense education. I was going to tell him that after all of this, I have less of an idea about how ignorant I am than I had when I started while he apparently has no idea that he is ignorant. This seems to be the norm.

I am an arrogant asshat. And amazingly richly geniusy. BIgly.

Words! So many big words!

@balou the best words

I know where my towel is, (HHGTTG)
I am wearing it because I can't find my pants, oh crap, now I have lost my towel.

I don't have a superiority complex. Sorry. I think everyone knows something someone else doesn't. I don't feel the need to boast about how smart I am.

what I was just thinking

@twshield I don't think I would say that. i've heard other people say it and it rubs me the wrong way. I am currently a country bumpkin visiting a big ethnically mixed city and I've seen homeless people among the population. I can't say I'm a better person than those I encounter at the bus stops with their few meager belongings and those huddling in tents on the side of the cemetary. I just can't believe that one human being is superior to another.

I've never seen so many homeless people in a city with so much wealth. It's not right. We don't have this so bad in Boston or maybe I never saw it because my eyes weren't wide open.

Massachusetts members-is it bad in Boston now?

@sassygirl3869 if you are where its warm people have moved there for survival.Sometimes just walking down the street in the winter in Boston is too much for me

@sassygirl3869 This is inevitable in a Capitalist society. If voting people don't get their heads out of their rectum and vote for ... Ah, forget it because it is already too late to fix this situation with votes. The only people who could help are the ones who would be giving up the proverbial gravy-train. IT IS FAR PAST TIME FOR A POWERFUL THIRD PARTY!

I actually take the time to think about stuff.

...because I am a textbook case of the Dunning-Kruger effect. 😉

"smart" is a difficult thing to both quantify, and compare.

And I don't compare. Though I may be more enlightened about some things than others ...

Normally I don't, many times it's the opposite and I assume others are more intelligent than I am, especially online.
A high percentage of the people I interact with are college grads and have vastly more knowledge generally.
I suppose no one is immune to making a profoundly stupid statement occasionally though.

I only pretend to be smarter than other people. But don't tell anybody, ok?

I have been told I have an IQ of 142 and that average is 90-110. I was voted "smartest girl" in my engineering society. Still I don't generally assume that I am smarter than others I meet and realize that they may be more effective or knowledgeable in many ways. But having men dismiss me as "emotional" is going to get someone hurt one of these days...

Lauxa Level 5 Feb 3, 2018

Are you in Mensa and Intertel ?

I was born high IQ into a family of high IQ people, and had very high IQ kids.

Most of us have dyslexia, mixed gender issues, some are on the autism spectrum, and often have many smart people problem cliches..
we don't always relate well to most normal people, but more because we tend to gravitate toward people like ourselves,
we tend to look down on others,
don't notice anything except our obsessions,
only do things that interest us and ignore everything else,
not interested in whether others approve of us or not.

My son, with a 160 IQ, was terrifying, even while still in diapers. He thought his parents were absolute morons and we felt like morons around him. Trying to argue was useless. He would just march to the encyclopedias, yank one out, and point to where we were wrong on a date or location, or math concept.

He somehow knew stuff I still don't know when he was still a baby.

I know less now than what I new before. Too many question, and so few answers. I don't presume I am smarter. Thats a young man's game😉

I believe I am smarter than most people I encounter because my second grade substitute teacher marched me into the teacher's lounge to interrupt the principle to tell him that I was the smartest person currently in the room. So yes, I am definitely smarter than most people, but that doesn't make me better than them.

Finish the statement I shoot people because.......

"....I'm smarter than your average bear!" True story, ya know?

...I don't answer questions like this.

jeffy Level 7 Feb 2, 2018

Because in my experience, most people tend to care more about whether their beliefs make them feel good, rather than whether they're true.

because - I think they are smarter than me

I just never know. I believe that there is always something I can learn from another. Admittedly that can be a challenge.

Waltz Level 4 Feb 2, 2018

even if it is that you're not going to be that stupid.

...............I is! 😉

I can only afford to hang around places where people who are not even as smart as me hang out.

I am also better looking.

..."My name is Donald Trump."

because I see them in their natural habitats, oblivious to my judging.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20436
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.