Agnostic.com

24 1

Favorite quotes.

What are some of your favorite or thought provoking quotes?

WilliamCharles 8 Feb 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"The true man wants two things: danger, and play. Therefore, he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything" Nietzsche

Orwell. Who knew?

An atheist is a man with no invisible means of support

"Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives, but I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment... because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we lived. After all, Number One, we're only mortal." -Jean-Luc Picard Star Trek: Generations

Gohan Level 7 Feb 3, 2018

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." ~ Helen Keller
"Never tell me the odds!" ~ Han Solo

This is my own (under my nom de plume).

"People are =/= to their religion.

I am most definitely an infidel in that I have no belief in any god or gods. A person’s individual godview is the most basic right possible that a human being can have. I personally reject Islam, Judaism, and Christianity (among others)…but do not reject Muslims, Jews, and Christians. A person’s religion and religious culture are most predictably based on their family of origin, where they were born (geography), and when they were born (I.e. no Xians pre-Christ).

I stand with all people on the planet willing to work together as a species to live peacefully with each other and our environment. That does not change regardless of the actions of some who think their ‘godview’ justifies any number of horrible acts.

I reject those who use such acts to demonize people who are damned for nothing more than ‘guilt by association.’"

~ LanceThruster

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. (Albert Einstein)

"Mother is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all children." Eric Draven (The Crow)

“Fuck literature.” -Ernest Hemingway for irony, and, “Defiance, not obedience, is America’s answer to overbearing authority.” -Ayn Rand.

For sure!

"Fuck off"..now that's a reeeeaaally oooold quote.

Will post a lot of my quotes as graphics because that's how they're saved.

Hahahahahahahaha! And sooo true..

You can only see as far as you think.

"We can be as honest as we are ignorant. If we are, when asked what is beyond the horizon of the known, we must say that we do not know. We can tell the truth, and we can enjoy the blessed freedom that the brave have won. We can destroy the monsters of superstition, the hissing snakes of ignorance and fear. We can drive from our minds the frightful things that tear and wound with beak and fang. We can civilize our fellow-men. We can fill our lives with generous deeds, with loving words, with art and song, and all the ecstasies of love. We can flood our years with sunshine — with the divine climate of kindness, and we can drain to the last drop the golden cup of joy.”

Robert G. Ingersoll, The Works of Robert G. Ingersoll, Vol 1: Lectures

Shut up, Donny! xD

"You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into."

~ Anon

"We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it is forever.”

~ Carl Sagan, Cosmos

"If you pray for rain long enough, it eventually does fall. If you pray for floodwaters to abate, they eventually do. The same happens in the absence of prayers."

[Steve Allen, quoted in 2000 Years of Disbelief, Famous People with the Courage to Doubt, by James A. Haught, Prometheus Books, 1996]

"Be aware of this truth that the people on this earth could be joyous, if only they would live rationally and if they would contribute mutually to each others' welfare.

This world is not a vale of sorrows if you will recognize discriminatingly what is truly excellent in it; and if you will avail yourself of it for mutual happiness and well-being. Therefore, let us explain as often as possible, and particularly at the departure of life, that we base our faith on firm foundations, on Truth for putting into action our ideas which do not depend on fables and ideas which Science has long ago proven to be false.”

~ Kurt Vonnegut Jr., Palm Sunday: An Autobiographical Collage

Ever feel this way?

All the time.

Longtime favorite.

"Theologian: An uncommon individual who, though possessing finite abilities, has been called by God himself who, though possessing infinite abilities, requires the assistance of the former in explaining Himself to the rest of us.”

[Translation: if God existed, theologians would be out of work.] ~ “Rev” Donald Morgan

"The lesson is : Our God is vengeful! O spiteful one, show me who to smite and they shall be smoten!"

~ Homer Simpson

"We are all wired into a survival trip now. No more of the speed that fueled that 60's. That was the fatal flaw in Tim Leary's trip. He crashed around America selling "consciousness expansion" without ever giving a thought to the grim meat-hook realities that were lying in wait for all the people who took him seriously... All those pathetically eager acid freaks who thought they could buy Peace and Understanding for three bucks a hit. But their loss and failure is ours too. What Leary took down with him was the central illusion of a whole life-style that he helped create... a generation of permanent cripples, failed seekers, who never understood the essential old-mystic fallacy of the Acid Culture: the desperate assumption that somebody... or at least some force - is tending the light at the end of the tunnel."

Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20522
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.