Agnostic.com

43 10

Does a person's natural scent noticeably impact how much you're attracted to them?

Science says scent matters, but do you take notice of a person's natural scent when it comes to partners? I am very sensitive to scent in general. This is definitely a factor for me.

Perhaps this dating site needs to transmit smells? LOL

silvereyes 8 Feb 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

43 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes, it can make a strong and lasting impact .The sense of smell is closely linked with memory,probably more so than any of our other senses

@richiegtt In my thirties, I dated intelligent guys, but drop outs: saw mill workers, laborers. My husband had been a roofer. Natural sweat, not stink, is an aphrodisiac to me. The man may well have a different preference and that's okay. A real turn on.

@Donotbelieve I agree. He has to be my man or I think he just needs a shower.

Oh my god pheromones and natural scent are a driving factor for me.

My favorite come on line: You stink real purdy. Can't figure out why I'm single.

Not always although I can remember being besotted with a complete loser (and knowing it!) because of his scent. Also, just show up wearing Old Spice, i'm putty in your hands (the first guy i ever slow-danced with was wearing OS). Scent has power!

I will admit to having a thing for Old Spice. Also Bay Rum.

@silvereyes -- actually, the revulsion most people have to natural smells is a result of culture and Wall Street. I'm not kidding about this. We have been conditioned to this just as people are conditioned to anything else -- religion for example -- hating those rotten commies -- just about anything you can think of that has no basis in the natural scheme of things.

I agree @evidentialist. One of the most obnoxious jokes from an otherwise funny woman, IMHO (paraphrasing):

"If a man goes down on me I just want to give him a medal. Let's be honest ladies, at my absolute cleanest, I just STINK."

Women are trained, conditioned, ... to think that their genitals are dirty, smelly, etc. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Scent makes a difference for me, but it may be a chicken-and-egg thing. I recall a couple of scents from high school and college that were unique to girls or women I knew and liked. So, on rare occasions, I'll smell something that is reminiscent of those perfumes, and I'll find myself enthralled for a moment. But, I enjoy other scents on women, too. I don't know about natural pheromone effects, though, and how a woman's natural scent affects me.

Hoo-ah!

The chicken-egg point was a good one, too.

Yes. Scent (of the natural clean body, not perfume) is the conveyer of chemical attraction. This aspect absolutely has to be compatible and thus the quality of long-distance relationships are unknowable until in-person meeting.

I absolutely notice. If I don't like your scent, there's no chance of attraction. But the benchmark is always how the person smells, not their cologne. And, if I'm being completely honest, I want to smell sweat, I think sweat is sexy. Not the "I haven't showered in three days" kind of smell, but the "this is me" kind of smell.

Can you imagine if a troll got ahold of the smell sender?

On a more serious note smell matters hugely to me. Attractions great, but bad smells trump all.

I think it has a subconscious effect. Unless they really and truly stink. Then it's more succinct.

Lol. If it stinks, run!

I think we all have a natural scent that's distinctly ours, even when it's mingled with perfumes or soaps. I've even had dreams where I can smell someone. My grandmother had a sweet smell that was enhanced with some mixture of powders and perfumes. I had dreams where I didn't see her, but the smell of her brought me to tears.

I've also had two special men in my life who died, and I wouldn't wash the clothes they had in the laundry basket because their scent comforted me. I kept those clothes until I couldn't smell them anymore.

I was recently reminded of a man coming up to me on the street and asking what I was wearing, some years back. When I replied Opium, (perfume by YSL); he got a disgusted look on his face, called me a druggy and walked away. That memory has always stuck with me.

I used to wear Opium as well, @Angelface. I loved the spiciness of it. What great taste (and scent) we had, and what an moron that guy was! 😉

Au naturale much better...smells can be best memory trigger for me.

The scent of beautiful. Vin diesel said it in a movie and it stuck with me. He said it's been awhile since he smelled beautiful... that made since to me. You can tell the difference between a classic woman and a teenybopper. All my wives had a uforic scent that drove me wild. The scent enhances the beauty and your hormones kick you in the head. And... your hooked.

They talk about pheromones, a scent that reveals your sexuality and draws potential mates to you. It's true with many animals, but I've not experienced it as a human. I wish it were true. I would be sniffing around a lot. For me, it's more about the chemistry or spark of personality that happens in the first meeting!

Scenth is very powerful when it comes to the opposite sex. 🙂

A think a tinge of body odor can be super sexy.

Absolutely! And I have a male friend who says he doesn't notice women's scent at all? I was flabbergasted? And somewhat confused by that. - Also talking about natural scent not something applied to the skin.

Another reason I have never been a smoker, I have a very acute sense of smell. It goes both ways, in close quarters the right scents can attract me, but scent can also do the opposite.
In addition to her natural scent, the smell of clean ocean or fresh water or remnant of a coconut based sunscreen drives me nuts.

If you spray doe in estrus urine in the air, a buck will travel miles. Men are no different. Women need to learn the art of pheromone attraction.

I don't think I notice their natural scent consciously but an artificial fragrance someone is wearing can trigger a pleasant memory that could cause me to be more attracted to them than I would without that scent.

Computers should have Scratch & Sniff screens. 😀

Hahaha your idea for sniff profiles cracked me up. I am very responsive to natural scent. Have you tried any of the pheromone products on the market today? My experience shows they work.

Absolutely, but often my response to smell comes from feelings I've developed. I can think of past lovers, remember their smell, and smile broadly and fondly. I miss the smell of a (my) man.

I totally understand, @EllenDale. Me, too.

If a girls scent affects me, I’m not aware of it.

@Gatovicolo. Come close, my little gato. Let me show you the way. 😉

Meow@EllenDale

Absolutely not. I am more frequently repelled by strong deodorants and perfumes.

I was driving a lyft around, she got in the car and had a gross BO scent about her. It was bad, but I was surviving. Then she got out the perfume, I heard the spritz, followed by another 7 or so. I had to roll down the window to breathe.

@Donotbelieve I'm so allergic to so many scents that are mass marketed! I'll be so happy when people stop with the perfuming! (Though I've worn scent to please myself).

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20646
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.