Agnostic.com

34 10

Name your hypocrisy

No matter how much we try to walk the walk, talk the talk, there is always something we are a little hypocritical about.

Are you willing to admit yours? If yes, what is it and how do you rationalize it?

Crimson67 8 Feb 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

34 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As with several other commentators, it’s the animal food issue. I was a happy focused vegetarian for many years, then two years ago I fell off the wagon. There is just so much killing in the world, and the US is currently engaged in eight undeclared wars, and hundreds of unofficial sorties, and to compound all of that moral quandary, we keep animals in terrible conditions and slaughter them horribly ..... aw, man; hang our heads in shame ...

The United Methodist Church. Saying the Hail Mary when I need a mantra to focus on.

I am an Atheist , but I still dabble in pantheism , & it's various existential details as hypothetical . This of course also leads to ideas of reincarnation . . . .
I support gun control , but unless no one is to have guns , not going to happen , then pretty much everyone should have guns . In certain nortic nations , it is compulsory for all who serve in the military to carry a firearm with them at all times when they are in public . There , it is compulsory for all who are fit to serve , to serve . The zealots who abuse the 2nd Amendment prevent this from being a practical topic , however , one of the ugliest truths that we will always have to live with , is that if you take guns away from the law abiding , only criminal will have them . It's abhorrent , but I refuse to deny facts .

Dougy Level 7 Feb 4, 2018

Not sure it is hypocrisy, but it causes some cognitive dissonance to me.

I am an organ donor.

Yet I am concerned that advances in medical science are potentially weakening (changing?) the gene pool. Conditions which years ago resulted in early deaths and thus preventing breeding and those genes being passed on, are now no longer fatal and weaker genes survive.

The same for organ transplants. If your organs pack up is it genetic? Is it a weakness for the future of momo sapiens?

Will this be the end of humans as we know us?

Yet I am happy for someone to get my organs when I die - I don't agree with Spock that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few!

This is a good one.. almost like therapy.. 🙂 Honestly, I have one that I do know would rank here. Now I have been a party animal dam near all my life. But when it comes to the men in my life, I don't like a guy that sits around and drinks everyday, has to drink every time we would go out, etc. But I do still like to party but not every day so ya, it gets on my last nerve any guy that would do that around me a lot. Have had too many friends and loved ones die from alcoholism so I jump on their shit about it.

Aldis is going full organic and banning all produce that has traces of anything harmful to bees...

That is such a great company. I love how their cashiers get rolly chairs . It's so kind.

@Qualia and they are so fast at checkout...

Deadbeat dads... social anxiety! Thats something that pisses me off. I can't work there because they don't like me or they're mean to me. Thats when were going to form a fight club and I'm going the whip his ass.

I hate cruelty but eat meat

Closet Anarchist Politician. ...anarchy is voluntary society without force of law. ..another word falsely defined by xian dictionary fake writers like Atheism is falsely declared a denial of the alleged bible gawd. ...it is impossible to deny a nothing

I hate drivers that endanger fellow motorists.

When I encounter on behaving particularly badly, typically bigger vehicles [recently a semi, that was fun] severely tailgating tiny cars.

so, I "intervene"... distract them from who they were trying to intimidate... follow them home... that's what the cops told me... follow them. lol

I create a bad situation trying to end a worse one.

I was in that little blue car, hence my animosity... tempered with PTSD

I really think we get to know ourselves when we find something in someone else is annoying, I learned all my foibles that way. Sometimes it brings great patience, and others I think "yeah, but I'm not THAT bad" lolz. But I am. I know it.

I'm quite aware of the environmental necessity of certain measures. If they are taken, I applaud them and live with them, even when it costs a lot more. But I still drive an old Buick that swallows quite some gas although I would like an electric car. But I don't want to spend the money for it. I try to recycle as much glass and plastic as I can, but, so once in a while I still throw a plastic bottle in the general waste container, realizing that I should not. So I'm not so much a hypocrite towards others, but more towards myself.

Gert Level 7 Feb 3, 2018

Hypocrisy equals self delusion or cognitive dissonace?
I once called a whole country's pariament hypocritical ... and feared being gaoled for contempt. Fortunately a UN Human Rights Judge also agreed and they would have had to gaol her also.

I do not like discrimination against anyone, however I notice that I tend to ignore and not engage in conversation with anyone that I consider to have low intellect.

Never.

They should stop lethal injection and start using liquid nitrogen to euthanize death sentences. Would eliminate the cruel accusers.

@MrLizard freezing to death the nerves become paralyzed. It is super quick certain death.

@azzow2 evidence?

@MrLizard Thought since we created it the name could be cyrocide the act of sledging a convicts frozen corps.

I am going to grow more as a person I guess. I can't think of right now😟

Still keep Pascal's 'get out of hell free card' in my back pocket.

cava Level 7 Feb 3, 2018

I consider myself a Marxist at heart yet I am just as addicted to material possessions as the bourgeois. I complain when the price of gas goes up a nickel despite knowing, deep inside, that it takes exploiting 1/3 of the world's natural resources to keep prices as low as they are. I bought my daughter an IPhone for her birthday despite the fact that it was made with slave labor in order to make it affordable to me. . . the list is endless.

i complain about Monsanto or big oil or whatever and how they're destroying our environment, while smoking a cigarette.

FUN QUESTION. Thanks for posting.

Just coming off a run of health issues which sidelined me for the last ten years or so. After about the last 4 I have developed my health to the point that I'm active again, going to the gym, etc. I've been trying to balance having energy and feeling healthy again without spazzing out at every example of unhealthy behavior I encounter in myself or others, since not that long ago I was most definitely on the other side of the equation. Good to remember that whatever we think we see in others, we never see the whole story.

I will not confess. I gave that up for lent

@Akfishlady exactly

I gave up Hypocrisy for Lent one year back when I was an Episcopalian and my Priest asked me to be more realistic.

Sorry, I'm a stupid Duchman, I have not idea what the "lent" is where your guys are talking about.

@Gert Lent is the time of anticapatory penance leading up to the crucifixion and Easter in the Catholic Church. Catholics are supposed to sacrifice something during that time period I guess to respect the ultimate sacrifice

@btroje Ah, a kind of advent, but than for Easter. Those 40 days of hunger after Mardi Gras. Thanks!

I am totally against Monsanto and round up etc. They are poisoning us, but, I do buy their poison ivy killer..

why?
I worry about the herbicides and insecticides on our food. People think they can wash them off but it is picked up by the roots and absorbed through the skin , the contamination can't be washed off its inevitable part of the food. I raised crickets and I Philpot and there were so many vegetables I could not feed to them because they would die. Bananas were the only fruit I would feed them.

I would have to go with you on that. If there is a plant that will cause an itch I will find it

@Akfishlady what do you mean?

@Akfishlady I didnt say I use pesticides.

@Akfishlady i misspoke saying pesticides. i don't use roundup

You could use a flame weeder, but with poison ivy WATCH OUT, wear a mask. Our back yard neighbor put poison ivy in his fire pit and wound up in the hospital 😮 But flame weeders are very satisfying & clean way to kill weeds. Just be careful of tree roots. We have a girly tree that gets pissed when we flame.

I don't believe in a God because there isn't any scientific proof, however I believe in aliens and the supernatural.

we don't have any proof about aliens or supernatural in my opinion only. That should be classified with God

😀

If you believe in aliens, you should have realized that it's the aliens that created the image of god as they had "super" powers, just as we would be when we were able to return a century back in time with our smartphone-computer, a gun and medicines to heal people. But you still don't have to believe in an eschatological god-magician.

@dc65 The topic was what are your hypocrisies. I'm well aware that there is no "proof" hence my hypocrisy. I do, however, have my own proof on aliens and the supernatural and none of God.

I don't believe in god either but have had some bizarre things happen that others have witnessed as well that make me wonder about other realms or extreme empathy. Should probably start my own post about it.
For example, my daughter & I since she was young have gotten for lack of a better term "sympathy wounds", to the point late husband noticed it. THEN it started with our dogs. 2 melanomas in the same spot on the same eye, and blocked follicle on same spot same side of each dog? WTF? (those two are in love with each other) . It's just too weird.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20739
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.