Agnostic.com

37 10

Our relationship with food

What foods are standard in your diet?
Do you eat for pleasure, survival or both?
Are a potential partner's eating habits a deal breaker?

Crimson67 8 Feb 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Both and yes if not both

Gluten-free, dairy-free vegetarian, here. Half of my diet is lentils and brown rice. I eat all the fruit, all the vegetables (except kale, bleh), and all the nuts. I mostly eat home cooked, mostly whole/"clean"--not by design, but just because that's what happens when you eliminate gluten and dairy. I don't have a lot of cravings. My attitude toward food has shifted more into the "meh, fuel" realm. I'm less concerned about it being interesting or especially delicious. I have a sweet-tooth that's largely dormant.

People with whom I eat pretty much know which restaurants have options for me (smaller town; I can count them on one hand). I don't eat out much, and it's fine. From vegetarianism I learned to eat my protein at home before I go out, so if there's nothing for me I'll be fine. Works great.

I don't have "food issues"; I eat what I eat and I keep my mouth shut about it. Anyone who wishes to be close to me needs to not have issues as well: don't gossip about my choices, don't draw attention to them, don't tease me or try to make me feel guilty because I won't eat a steak. Go to the steakhouse without me if you can't bear to see me eat a salad sans croutons. It's totally fine; I don't care. Don't bitch because I can't eat anything at that restaurant over there--just go without me, or understand that I don't mind going somewhere and not eating. Some people get weird and hostile when you don't eat what they eat. That's just asinine.

I sometimes cook meat for my roommate. I ate it for most of my life so it doesn't offend me or gross me out.

I just want to be left alone. I don't preach about my lifestyle choices--I don't even talk about them, if I can help it. I don't care what other people eat or don't eat. The only thing I ask for is respect, and that's evidently very difficult for some when terms like "vegetarian" and "gluten-free" start getting thrown around.

I am a picky foodie. I love good tasting food, but eat no sweets other than fruit and really limit my intake of carbohydrates. I eat lots of fresh vegetables, and both animal and vegetarian protein. I like many cuisines -- Indian, Asian, Cajun, and more.

I am a vegetarian. I enjoy all types of fruits and vegetables so this is definitely not a problem for me. I do not care what other people eat around me as long as they except my diet

I only eat to not be hungry. I find eating a chore, and if we didn't have to eat to stay alive, I wouldn't. Idc most of the time what I eat. It's just food. Perhaps this is due to working at a restaurant full of fattening foods. Make America Fat Again.

I really love to eat and as a result of that I have been battling my weight for most of my life. At one point i was just under 300 lbs. For the last few years I have changed my diet a lot by avoiding convenience foods and greatly reducing my intake of sugars, simple starches, and animal fats. I also try to be active. I don't think that I'll ever be skinny, but I'm healthy in spite of being a little pudgie. My last partner had a habit of bringing very tempting garbage food into the home that I had a lot of difficulty resisting. I'm not saying that was the only reason that the relationship failed, but it didn't help things.

that would bother me. I don't have sugar in the house or any tempting kinds of baked goods. If I want to eat that I make an effort

I love food, I love it all, though I eat meat, I mostly eat vegetables and salads, especially now its summer here, I love all Asian food, middle eastern and Indian food. Its extremely pleasurable to me. I could never be with a vegan or someone who didn't eat gluten. It would do my head in. I once was dating a man, who hated food, only ate because he had too. He only liked 3 different types of meals. Hated cooking. As to say that didn't last. He is still my good friend and currently with a women who is Gluten intolerant and loves cooking. Going out for dinner with them is an interesting task.

Sacha Level 7 Feb 3, 2018

I would call myself an adventurous eater,the more exotic the better . I recently tried sea urchin and found it to be delicious. I enjoy sushi and all seafood .My wife is a vegetarian and I can easily adapt to her food choices in vegetarian Indian restaurants etc

Both, I enjoy a wide variety of vegetables, some red meat, chicken an fish. But tomorrow is Super Bowl so junk food reins. lol

Why?

I eat less meat and more veggies, and generally low to no added sugar, non processed and as close to natural as possible. Then I had lunch with my daughter today, she's pregnant, her choice was fast food. However, the next bite will likely be back on track, if I ever get my lunch digested....

Lol - inconvenient food.

Have a squint at my post #SteamBoat.

I try to eat for health as much as possible. Love eggs fish meat nuts vegetables and butter, real butter. Try to avoid fast food and white flour as much as possible and eat at home most of the time. I would rather my partner share my taste for healthy food with an occasional splurge for some fun food.

that is pretty close to my diet, probably less meat for me. Real Maple Syrup as well, raw local honey. I grow tomatoes and other veggies. Once I kick the sugar addiction nuts are my snack. I make big batches of lunches and freeze them to take to work.

@HippieChick58 I love raw honey! That's about the only sweet I will eat.

I generally eat meat, though I would have no issue with going vegetarian if the dishes were prepared well. Fairly recently I began to control my diet, and I eat a far larger amount of veggies than either meat or carbs, but I don't really deny myself anything other than bad tasting food.

A partners attitude on food would matter more than what she ate. If she was Vegan, and didnt try to force me to change through psychological manipulation id be fine with it. Likewise if she snacked on whale blubber... Though truth be told that would be a bit weird.

I just made some kick butt onion soup...
All vegetarian for you meatless people!!!

@witchymom i hope he gets overthat flu bug... its really scary this year...

Not a deal breaker unless it's obviously affecting their health. For the most part I side with the Epicureans. My youngest daughter just became a vegetarian so I'm going to be looking in to some vegetarian main course ideas. I'd love to have any recipes, links or otherwise anyone would like to share. My biggest weakness is baked goods. I love to bake and now my youngest daughter is into it. She made a German Chocolate cake completely from scratch for my birthday and it was spectacular.

Pizza, pasta, and stir-fry are all easily "convertible" from veg to Omni. I used to do a lot of that kind of cooking for food shared across diets.

I have to watch my blood sugar now and loose some more weight. One thing that I love is sea food, and that doesn't seem to be deal breaker. But I am not snacker. I think the thing that hurts is no pasta. I eat for survival now.

eating is one of my best things. if there's no mayonnaise or beets anywhere in sight, I'm liable to like it. my body at the molecular level is primarily frozen pizza, hot dogs and fast food. this New Year's my resolution is to try. so I am eating better and started yoga, so I'm trying.

If there was a goddess to chocolate or rum im on bord

I enjoy a lot of different cuisines and am an omnivore. Food is an interest as well as necessity. Probably a deal breaker as if they were too picky they would run.

Well Witchymom....

1. Pork, hamburger, chicken, fish, shellfish, any vegetables.
  2. I eat for pleasure. My wife says to survive.
  3. My wife loves my cooking... she likes to eat too.
    Let it be noted that we need some discipline in our life. We both love to eat. We need help...lol.

Don't know for sure how to help as I enjoy food also, but if ever you and your wife find yourselves in this neck of the world, we can cook a meal for you? Not the sort of help you meant I know.

@Rugglesby. Thanks brother... that's a long ways to got to your home... but who knows

@Rugglesby probably the help @BucketlistBob requires is someone eat the food they cook so they do not have to eat more... I could have been that help but that's too far for me.

@BucketlistBob- try limiting yourself to 900 calories a day (30+ years ago it took me several hours a day just to work out the menu and quantities). Do the 5 minute 5BX Canadian exercise routine and you should have a six pack in 3 months. My recommendation is start in winter so you are not tempted by winter warming delights like steak and kidney pudding in steamed suet pastry. ... my downfall.

@Rugglesby Very nice gesture, Australia is on the bucket list. I have find a way to make some money for that bucket list.

@FrayedBear. Thanks!

@FrayedBear Thanks brother... I don't think i can do any of them. My back is screwed up., my shoulders are screwed up.. my belly has a big split it the front muscle which allows the guts to make a big lump pushing out when I do a sit up. My hips and knees are screwed up. I use a shopping cart to lean on at every store we go to.... poor me a drink! Then shoot me! What a mess I am.

@BucketlistBob Yeah I see that monster hernia when sitting up. I may even get a knee replacement this year so I protect the knee with little walking. I do a gentle exercise regime and tai chi 3x a week. It improved my balance fantastically....I now do pirhouettes at the meat freezer in the supermarket. Sounds like you need aquarobics - it takes a lot of weight off the joints.

@FrayedBear. You know what I'm talking about...yes I need it all. And should do the water exercise. My wife does the tai chi 2× a wk. Along with line dancing... we're old folgies...lol.

@BucketlistBob heck if you can line dance ... that's olympian in effort. Personally I cannot stand the music or dance style but I knew a guy who lost 200lb line dancing !

For most of my life, I have been attached to a life support machine ..... it’s called a refrigerator.

To me, cooking a meal is my "mindful" time. I do the Blue Apron meals - and have been for a year and a half now (or longer I forget). The act of going through, prepping the ingredients, and cooking is a needed break from my day. I enjoy cooking these days. So I do eat for both pleasure and survival.

I also work from home, and the act of cooking supper most every night helps me unplug from my work -- which is always there if I let it be!

I have a kid who is vegetarian, and a kid who is pescatarian (other two kids eat all things). I change my cooking habits when those two are in town (one is grown/independent, and the pescatarian kid is in college) to accommodate them and really don't mind.

Have contemplated going vegetarian myself, but have not done so. Pretty open minded about it all.

Ohub Level 7 Feb 3, 2018

My wife did a lot of research on an eating plan that we could do. She picked an eating plan by Ludwig. First we cut out white sugar, white rice, white bread, and white potatoes. In our eating plan, they are called the deadly whites. After we got rid of the deadly whites, started feeling better. Less aches and pains. We have a couple of garden plots, so eat a lot of fresh veggies. Got rid of highly processed foods. Mostly eat from scratch, with lots of slicing and dicing. Wife uses lots of spices, and food always tastes great. Never feel that I am missing out on anything. The plan included having chocolate that is at least 70% cocoa.

I'm trying to steer away from the pleasure and more toward survival.

I have always enjoyed eating meat. If I found I was married to a vegetarian I would smother her with her own pillow when she slept. 🙂

I am an omnivore. I cook as well as eat, so flavor is important to me and variety welcome. I can cook what anyone likes to eat, so special diets are not a problem for me. I love the challenge of stepping beyond my own dietary preferences to learn about other food related lifestyles.

Not an easy one. Let's say I'm the cook in the house and I prepare a small 10oz every day for the food as we need. For pleasure we eat in a restaurant and always share a meal. Since we do that I already lost 15 kilo's (33lb) also my wife lost 10 kilo's (22lb) but it is not always fun as we sometimes eat the same dinner every day of the week (I try to avoid that though). Every day eating food for pleasure is the poison for society. We try to eat for pleasure when we go out.

Gert Level 7 Feb 3, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20759
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.