Agnostic.com

29 4

At what point?

At what point does age honestly begin to be more than a number for you?

EllenDale 7 Feb 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am now 69 1/2, was Very ill in my early 40's, felt 187 or older for several years!
Every day is freaking WONDERFUL!

So glad that you are feeling WONDERFUL after your health issues in your 40s.

Cool! I love those kinds of stories!

@jlynn37 actually physically i feel like crap many days...thank gawd for naps, LOL! But mentally, every single minute is Da BOMB!

I may be the senior member here and I would say when it affects your ability to do the things you could do and enjoyed doing when younger and just took for granted and that includes almost everything. Physical activities, sexual activities, memory activities, Virtually all the 5 senses. Life is still good.

Looking good for 80.

@HippieChick58 Thank you for the compliment.

I'm 68, j, you're my new hero.

@Condor5 I was still at my best at your age and was king of the hill.

@jlynn37 I have no doubt, my friend.

I turned 79 recently. Nothing happens fast anymore. Getting up and walking takes me til I cross the room before I can stand fully erect. My days of saying I want to die at 96, shot by a jealous husband are behind me now. 96 seems a long ways away now.

I did see that we have an 84 year young member.

Yes, it is! @jlynn37

When your mind says, "Oh, wow, that looks like fun."

And your body says, "No. Absolutely not."

Well said. I have said those very words. I desire to, but body says no.

I do it anyway, but gets harder, balance aint what is was.

@Rugglesby So, so true. First thing that went! Can't dance worth a shit anymore!

@wvidentialiat Been there, done that, done it anyway, so my body laughed, refused to participate, and called me an asshole! Can't win!

Like when I'm more than 3 feet off the ground pondering, jump down, or sit and slide off ?

When your body hurts more days than when it doesn't😉

Good one!

When I see people born grow up and die in my own lifetime .When I see all the deaths of neighbors friends and relatives

@richiegtt So true! That hits us all.

It hasn't yet for me 🙂

Cool! Keep the mindset so you can enjoy every second!

age is always more than a number. Thinking you can base someone's anything other than legality for drinking, smoking, or sex, on age is ridiculous.

I know 50 year olds who I wouldn't trust to feed fish and 18 year olds who hold down 2 jobs while being single parents.

@Thereisnodog Can't hurry life experience!

Depends on the day, and the local barometric pressure.

Truer words were never spoken! I didn't even know what barometric pressure was until I developed FM in my early 20s...

@KKGator @stinkeye_a BPand humidity!

I kinda dreaded 60, but now that I'm here I'm kinda excited that I can sorta see the retirement light shining. My benchmark was 45, my mom died at 45.

I'm going to be old in 11 days!! Ugh...30-years-old! My 20's are almost out the door!

@Sarahroo29 I had a baby when I was 30, in March she turns 30. She isn't thrilled, but the options are limited.

Almost 10 days now.

My mom passed at 53 and I feared that age too.

@Sarahroo29 Mark my words, the best is yet to come!

@Stevil Senior discount on coffee? Lol. At age 30?

Um, idk what you mean in this post. Can you please elaborate?

Usually in the morning when I'm trying to drag my ass out of bed

@Rudy1962 Stretching first can make huge difference!

not sure what you mean

@btroje @Sarahroo29 @NeoXerops @evergreen Some people take it to mean feeling/coming to terms with our own mortality while others have used it to mean the age range of.people they would date.

@EllenDale In that case, I came to terms with Mt own mortality when I nearly bled to death due to a botched tonsil removal when I was a kid. Soooo... I was around 10 or 11.

@NeoXerops I hope it was hindsight because nobody wants to be aware we're facing death.

@EllenDale It was actually during.
When I was hunched over the kitchen sink, spewing blood from my mouth the day I was released.
I realized just how suddenly you can go from being alive one moment to dead the next.

Dude, I filled up an old style metal coffee container when mine didn’t heal right. I was about 15 years old, so as I got weaker waiting on my mom to come home, I played with the coagulation. I was in a bad place. @NeoXerops

@NothinnXpreVails You know those old style, stainless steel double sinks? I filled up both.
How I survived that, is beyond me.
But I do attribute my paleness to that event.
Before that, I had the olive skin ton my mother had.
After that day, I've been pale.

Wow. It is amazing that you survived. @NeoXerops

@EllenDale Oh, okay.

@NothinnXpreVails @NeoXerops How horrtible to have been alone at such a scary time. Glad You're both here!.

more than a number ... how ?

You're going to have you elaborate on that.
It's an open ended question.

16 now 66 , age is only measured in time ,time is merely space time curvature, nobody really gives a fuck

I can see you are not quite there yet. You are in for a let down.

@magicwatch (I give a fuck)

@jlynn37 Dont rain on his parade!

My back hurts always from my early thirties so I have some sort of head start I never wanted. as long as I can still draw im ok. I never was much of an athlete. I think it's more the stigma of age and disability. getting older is like a toilet roll, the more you use the quicker you get to the end. the world has changed for the worse.

I agree. I've already had two joints replaced. I should have been gentler on myself and rougher on lovers.

You aim higher than me!

@EllenDale
I go for the gold..so to speak..

@Charlene Gold hurts my teeth bahahaha.

@EllenDale
I just wish I had some teeth..

In my 40s I was at my life's best, fitter then when a teenager, I would say decline had set in by 55, 4 years ago, just lack of energy, since then eyes have packed it in a bit, still don't need glasses to drive, but do mostly on computer and for night reading. Shoulders are not great past 2 weeks, and this does concern me. Also, past 12 months, so many people a decade or more younger than me died.

me too. 55 was a turning point. People thought I was sick. No, I just look my age now and feel it.

@Rugglesby I know it is frightening when people 10-20 years younger die of things we inagin we will die from: cancer, heart disease.

@ollieberry I still don't look my age and I have very little grey hair, but I treated my games (softball catcher and gymnist) like professional sports and now my body is protesting! Sucks, big time!

I stopped caring after 21.

@ownworstenemy I'm waiting til I'm 100 to stop caring!

@EllenDale Best of luck, my jeans don't last that long :/

To this point, my age has been irrelevant.
I began a restricted diet in my 20s to save my life, and had to continue due to my immune system being trashed by extreme exposure to DDT in Haiti, thanks to the well-meaning SNEM program that sprayed our homes every year, killing our pets, and ants, which had previously kept bedbugs in check.

When I began eating only natural, whole foods, and dropped processed food and most meat, my health and stamina skyrocketed..I stopped getting the flu, infections, etc. and my kids never even got the sniffles, and were completely calm, except on the rare occasions their Grandma slipped them junk food.

So I continued to have high energy, be totally limber, and be very active. The Thai were mystified that I often chose to walk instead of using my motorbike, and when out on swamp access roads, people often try to give me lifts on their own motorbikes, thinking I need help. They usually only exercise in the evenings and early mornings, by walking around the block, swinging their arms, or doing group exercises to music in public places.

@Stevil LOL!

@birdingnut We should all do that!

@EllenDale
Easy to say, but it wasn't fun dropping that stuff out of my diet. Stopping white sugar was the worst of all..like kicking crack. I shook, got splitting headaches, felt panicked, then had denial (I'll take one little bite of candy).

I didn't stop craving sugar until I'd passed cold turkey and suddenly the taste of sugar was revolting. Besides, I almost died on my former diet, no doubt from the DDT taking out my immune system, so had no choice but to change.

I am sorry. I hope you are doing well

Fifty did it for me. Then another awakening 2 months ago when my mother died from cancer at only 73 !! 😟

@flowerchild62 I'm sorry about your mother. Such an insidious disease.

When I am no longer capable of doing those physical activities I love to do.

@Condor5 The wall I hit was nobody around here wants to do those physical activities with me! lol

@EllenDale I mountainbike and hike (surfed up until a couple yrs ago), and generally do those activities alone. But I realize that tennis, golf, et al, require other players.

I always been aware of my age as more than a number... No cougars allowed in my life as young buck... biggest difference was she 26 and I 20? and she been eyeing me since I was 16. I just didn't played that as other buddies did and then having to deal with the more mature woman head games and their position of power. I hated when I couldn't find women my age in Crete. But you have to do lemonade with the lemons available. But to me always been aware of my age and her age. Just as now I prefer my age... active as I am. Crazy as she may. It is a personal decision really to be honest and you have to handle what you can handle. I will hate not be able to carry a mature conversation or being used as a piggy bank. I got nothing to prove. Funny... to me height or beauty was never an issue except a few exceptions that I reserve but should be for all of us adults... motivations should be in the front... what do you want? I know what I want... Does she? Are we in same page? For a while I been dating within my generation.

The 50's took a toll on me. When I turned 50 it felt like no big deal. I looked and felt 10-15 years younger. People were shocked I was that old. By the time I hit 60, I felt an looked it. It all caught up to me. I'll be 63 in 5 days. I can still work circles around people half my age and younger at work. I can still light the candle at both ends, but I'm tired. I'm always tired

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20824
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.