Agnostic.com

22 1

Do yoy find yourself still saying'bless you' when some one sneeze

when it said to me I can,t help saying thank you.but say, just hope you got allergies.

RachelPraolini 4 Feb 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No, but I say "Jesus Christ!!" and "Sweet baby Jesus!" But that one is more from Talladega Nights 😀

Didn't see "Talladega Nights", but I say "sweet baby jesus" and "jesus christ" all the time. Then again, I live in the South, and that's just the vernacular. I say a lot of other weird shit, too, but that's probably just me.

But do you follow it up with "save me Oprah, save me Tom Cruise" 😉

I quit saying "bless you" years ago, and I had to be very conscious about NOT saying it. I did feel the urge though. When someone says it to me I just say thank you. I understand the good nature behind the sentiment, so it's not worth saying anything about.

I like saying 'god bless you' when someone burps, throws them off.

cava Level 7 Feb 4, 2018

I say gesundheit. Or nothing.

I do. It's a reflex. I'm working on saying "gesundheit", but "bless you" comes out easier.
It's really not that big a deal to me.

Not technically true, that’s the superstition, the word means to wish health/good health. Similarly, if you sneeze three times you can let the devil in if someone doesn’t bless you is another superstition.

Salud in Spanish...means "health"

That’s eerily close to a toast...

Sure. Why not? I also say "Oh my god", jeez, good lord, and other such expressions.

I say gezundheit, it’s German for “good health!”

Yep, lol. Old habits. While objectively understanding the lack of necessity, it feels like an empathetic aside to someone dealing with an annoyance. I don't attach any cosmic significance to it. Good question!

Sometimes.
Then I bite my tongue till I bleed..????

Always

gater Level 7 Feb 4, 2018

I usually say, "May The Force Be With You." If I say anything at all. If someone says it to me, "May The Force Be With You Too!" is my reply.

I say nothing. But if someone does say 'bless you' to me, I politely thank them.

Gohan Level 7 Feb 6, 2018

I say, Blast you! Or, quit trying to let your soul escape! I was raised Catholic so some sayings I automatically say. I find it funny and perplexing.

No and I don't think I ever did. I just ignore it, or offer a kleenex if I have one, and try not breathe.

Yes, but don't expect one after the 3rd sneeze, just sort your sh#t out. 🙂

Never did say anything when somebody sneezed, now though I yell, "cover your mouth" if they didn't.

Yes because does not mean anything to me but it is not about me. I can waste breath, saliva and time with no gripe.

Of course. I don't see anything wrong with some of these small traditions. In fact, I don't think bless you came from any big religion like Christianity. I heard it came from a Native American religion because they believed your soul would leave your body when you sneezed.

I actually say, "Shut up." when someone sneezes. It usually makes people laugh, which makes a potential follow up sneeze quite comical.

I say Jesus when I come lol

Yes but I also actually wonder what a blessing IS. A gift that costs YOU the blesser nothing?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20938
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.