Agnostic.com

29 12

LINK Why you should never put vodka in the freezer

I will no longer buy/order Grey Goose vodka because of their stupid comments in this article (not that I am a vodka drinker... I like gin). What makes a great vodka is that it should taste nothing. Claiming that it has subtle aromas is bull$hit marketing. GG has no history, it's a French product not Russian and vodka doesn't require a cellar (master). How can they claim being premium apart from their price? (Rant over)

Many of us are used to popping vodka in the freezer, but it turns out we’ve been doing it wrong, according to the Grey Goose creator.

Yes, it’s a failsafe way to get a chilled alcoholic beverage – and, as we know, vodka’s super low freezing temperature (-27 degrees) means you can leave it there for weeks on end without it going solid.

However, this common alcohol practice means the taste of the vodka is being ruined.

Many of us are used to popping vodka in the freezer, but it turns out we’ve been doing it wrong.

Francois Thibault, who is the Maître de Chai (Cellar Master), created the recipe for premium vodka Grey Goose.

He told Business Insider that freezing premium vodkas like Grey Goose “hid[es] the more sophisticated aromas and flavours” of the drinks.

The drink should be enjoyed at between 0 to 4 degrees instead, he said: “the temperature of a slight dilution with ice in a mixing glass.”

There is, however, one exception, and that’s with budget vodka. While the taste of premium vodkas will be ruined by the low freezer temperatures, cheap vodkas actually improve with this method.

This is because the low temperature will subdue any “aggressive, burning notes” in the vodka, meaning it’s easier to drink.

Lukian 8 Oct 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments (26 - 29)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've lived and worked in Eastern Europe quite a lot and vodka is meant to be drunk as a shot (accompanied by a glass of juice or water), certainly not sipped or mixed and is better if kept in the freezer (or outside when the temperature dips below -10C). Subtle flavour my arse 😀

@Hebert54 I've been to 2 Polish weddings! Each of them was 3 days of food, drink and dance! 😀

I haven't drank vodka in 40 years: bad, very bad, step out of moving car bad, college night on vodka bad.
If I had still drank it over the years, I probably would have stopped by the athletic director's office after a coaching soft ball loss; I knew where he kept his Vodka.
The hidden pleasures of teaching at a private, prep school. Although, when I taught at a Catholic school, for the first couple years (late 80's) they would leave the left overs from a party in the lounge, including booze (until one of the nuns partook too much). Public school teaching, like all schools, had good kids, but, really shitty internal politics.

I don't think I care because I mix flavors of fruit in my drink to mask the taste of alcohol. When I drink my goal is to get a light buzz. I guess I'm not a sophisticated drinker.

Maitre De Chai translates to Master of Tea......???!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:211093
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.