Agnostic.com

14 4

Stupid religious Archaeologists.

When I was in Iraq on an archaeological tour (yes I stood in the remains of the city where writing was invented aka URUK) I was asked by a so-called Christian Archaeologist what do I think 'of the flood' as he was part of a team travelling to and trying to find 'Noah's Ark in Turkey.

So I replied why are you going there? You are not studying the ancients for betterment of man-you are just trying to PROVE that YOUR religion is true. I also said the Original tale was ancient Sumerian in origin and the guys name was ZIZUIDRA and not Noah-if you believe in that sort of thing. So my- laddo you would be looking in the wrong place anyway.

Interesting enough when we were digging through layers of the ancient city of Eridu (arguably the first city built by man) we discovered many layers of cities compressed and then a silt layer eleven feet thick and then furthercity layers underneath. This proves that around 4500 BCE there WAS a REGIONAL flood and the Tigris and Euphrates (Sumerian names Indigna and the Burannu) flooded their banks. Since Sumer was the educational capitol of the world at that time then by the populace it was seen AS the world as let us face it the world is what you know of it. I said to this Christian surely-given the evidence is rings of a truth more than the whole world flooded?

Has anyone here encountered religious nut-jobs trying to couch their mumbo jumbo in the disguise of science?

Gilgamesh155326 5 Feb 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Religious nut jobs knows nothing about science and have no reason to talk about it. Its like a plumber trying to give medical advise. Handful of times I''ve met them, thats exactly what I said to get them to hush

One of my former co-workers totally misunderstood the idea of Mitochondrial Eve and by extension, Y-chromosomal Adam, to uh....prove Adam and Eve? This was like 3 years ago, and the discussion was so stupid that I hardly remember how it started. He essentially tried to argue how science was able to trace humanity down to what is essentially Adam and Eve. The gross misunderstanding of evolution and ancestry left me without words, and I just could be bothered to argue such nonsense at work.

And well...recently a friend of mine seemed to have been duped by an apologetics documentary that he believes proves exodus happened, perhaps not the super literal bible way...buuut.... I made a post about this the other day [agnostic.com]

That had nothing to do with anything.
Sounds like he was trying to get a rise out of you.

No he was quite serious in his search for Noah's ark lol🙂 Which was funny as at the time i was standing RIGHT in the middle of Uruk and looking at how the Sumerians decorated their homes-which is very interesting.

Reminds me of Planet of the Apes where Dr. Zais is the Minister of Science and Chief Defender of the Faith.

Frequently.

All of them do this, It is the only way they can handle their cognitive dissonance.

The Scab Lands in Washington state are probably the result of a mega flood, as are the chalk cliffs of Dover. My atheist-friend-who-belives-in-the-Bible-as-science believes that proves there was a world-wide flood, although the last time he 'splained it all to me he was a tad less bombastic about it. The question he always evades is "so, if the entire Earth was covered with water then that means the water was the-height-of-Mt-Everest-plus-43-feet, so where did all that water go?

Hi Gilgamesh155326,that is an interesting post.and the story of Noah and the flood coincides with as you already know comes from the Epic Tales of Gilgamesh,not only the Noah story but also the Moses story are found in the Epic Tales of Gilgamesh only the names have changed.and yes it is also true of what you say of the flooding in that area and due to the knowledge of the people at that time, they had no idea of the size of the planet Earth so thought that their whole world was flooded.and so in my opinion these stories reached other parts of the regions around the Middle East by travellers,merchants etc,slowing evolving into the religions we see today.and I agree with you about the christians trying to use fake science to prove their religion.

Yes mate ancient Sumerian history is my biggest passion in life. Though I to go with the original Sumerian/Akkadian poems (11 tablets) rather than the Semetic (7 tablets) Babylonian (He who saw the deep) copy. Or should we say Bilgames^ ? Not only that we have the original take of a so called jesus 'The Descent of Inanna and the original Adam and Eve fictional story see Ninkurhsag/ enki and the nine plants. NIN-TI 'lady of the Rib' It is quite interesting to see where Christianity has borrowed its tales from🙂

Joseph Campbell's books about the "Monomyth" describes the common stories most religions incorporate- flood, virgin birth, resurrection.

How ever you slice it, Religion needs to become history.

Not a Real archeologist, which is a science!

In college I attended a field school at Sde Boker in the Negev Desert of Israel where we were uncovering pottery and artifacts. Occasionally during the dig one of the students would get all religious and utter some prayer in Hebrew to make them feel better

I haven't personally, but I understand that Ken Hamm is trying to find Dino fossils with stone spear and arrowhead points embedded in them..

oooooooh dear! hahahah

There is a mole in every department.

Yes I have and their argument makes no sense at all.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21282
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.