Agnostic.com

36 8

I don't drink alcohol. It's the choice I made many years ago and have never regretted. I never did drink much--a beer occasionally, but I gave that up a while back. I don't understand the fascination with it. All I saw from it was negative, the result of an alcoholic dad who was a fine guy when he wasn't on the sauce, but who became a mean son-of-a-bitch when he drank, and two uncles who pretty much did the same. I want to know why so many people treasure it. Input please. Thanks.

tioteo 8 Feb 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments (26 - 36)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm unable to drink a single drop due to my genetic liver disorder. I'm fine with not getting into the culture of it either. I think people do it and other drugs in order to let go of their inhibitions. But since I'm an INTP with no shame, I'm already there... 😉

I think people drink for the warm buzz they get with the first drink, especially if cannabis is illegal where they live. People want to relax and loosen up, and even one beer can help.

But I hear you..I never drank until I was married, then just half a martini glass of red wine after dinner (I grew up in a French culture, in Haiti, although my American missionary parents never drank), because I didn't like the feeling of becoming drunk.
But when I first got pregnant, just the sight of wine made me nauseous, so broke me of the habit.

While I don't agree with it, I respect your religious belief.

My father caught my brother and I trying to sneak a beer when we were around 5. He made us each drink an entire can. He was also a substance abuser.

My brother and I never developed a taste for alcohol. When I was young and went to clubs, I had to drink stuff that masked the taste which are much more expensive. DIdnt take long for me to decide it was not worth it.

I drink quite often, probably more than I should. Been getting a beer belly which I don't like. I was mixing alcohol and drugs, self medicating my depression but I'm past that now. No pills, no pot, rarely hard alcohol unless its a holiday or special occasion. What can I say, I like my beer. I like the other stuff too but it disrupted my daily functioning to the point where I felt better going without. I like a few beers after work. It helps me unwind. I sleep better after a few beers. it relaxes me and helps me block out the day to day bull sh*t..and eases my little aches and pains...and if I get a little buzzed, I enjoy that too.

I honestly believe its genetic . I come from a long line of Alcoholics... both parents and all my siblings . I'm the only one who doesn't drink. I drank for a while in my thirties and forties when I would go out dancing etc. But I don't have that overwhelming need to have alcohol . It's definitely genetic and it's an illness. I feel so fortunate that I somehow escaped that fate.

After I had my first child fourteen years ago, I would only drank usually on New Year's. I drank so much as a teenager and into my early twenty's that I didn't miss it one bit when I stopped. Lately my friends and I have been drinking a couple times a month together for our "Mom's social relieving stress night". It's great fun and more enjoyable now than when I was young.

I never drink either. Just don't like it.

Alcoholism is a genetic issue per the link in this comment. My ex was an alcoholic and both of her parents were. I knew nothing about this growing up. Had I known what I was in for i would have swerved around this intelligent educated woman and saved myself a lot of problems. Her alcoholism showed up after her first pregnancy. She got postpartum depression and immediately began self medicating with alcohol. The story goes very far downhill for her after that. I was awarded full custody of our kids. She ended up in Jail. In my opinion one should never marry a person who's parents are alcoholics no matter what personal excellence they may present to you.

[pubs.niaaa.nih.gov]

Good for you... alcohol, just like drugs, just like sex... is not for everybody... just follow your heart. You sure can do without it. I did 5 years without touching alcohol, now I drink when I want to, sometimes going months without a taste. And here there is a stock bar always full but just as is up to me... is up to you. Whatever rock your boat. You are not weird... you are true to yourself.

Thanks for the sharing. I must admit that I don't like the smell or taste of alcohol now, although I used to enjoy a cold beer on a warm day.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21366
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.