Agnostic.com

10 5

QUESTION Half of New Testament forged, Bible scholar says – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

Old News from 2011 - but still news - “There were a lot of people in the ancient world who thought that lying could serve a greater good,” says Ehrman, an expert on ancient biblical manuscripts.In “Forged,” Ehrman claims that:

• At least 11 of the 27 New Testament books are forgeries.

• The New Testament books attributed to Jesus’ disciples could not have been written by them because they were illiterate.

• Many of the New Testament’s forgeries were manufactured by early Christian leaders trying to settle theological feuds.

Hugene2002 7 Oct 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The fact that the Epistles weren't all written by the person they were attributed to isn't news to scholars and people who actually do their homework rather than take the Books at face value. The news is that this is hopefully reaching a wider audience and at least a few (1/10 of 1 percent, is that too optimistic?) will be inspired to look deeper and educate themselves.

Richard Carrier, Robert Price, Earl Doherty believe that Jesus was a myth while Bart Ehrman believes there was a historical Jesus who neither thought of himself as God nor claimed to be God. The fact that scholars now even put this forward shows progress in thought and an erosion of belief. CNN’s article gives it an audience beyond the few of us that are even interested and think it’s a done deal. YouTube has hundreds of debate and other videos on the subject. It can only get better.

gearl Level 8 Oct 29, 2017

I thought that's common knowledge by now?!?. Most Christians that I know of subtly veer away from the stories of Creation and Jesus and just focus on the wisdom found in the book that's applicable to everyday life.

oh well

I guess you could say that on the basis of who it is attributed to, the whole of the bible is a forgery. Considering that there is no real issue with the existence of "God" then he couldn't have authored the book that is supposed to be his "word"

I have a big like of Ehrman. I also like many of the things that Dr. Hector Avalos has written and given talks on.

This is not at all surprising. It makes you wonder about the ethics of whether or not it's wrong to keep the forgeries withing the whole body of work.

SamL Level 7 Oct 24, 2017

If they were forging stuff, they could have done a better job. But I'm waiting till they find the Q document before passing judgement. I haven't hit the link yet but I'm having a hard time understanding why a bunch of a rabbi's disciples could be assumed to be illiterate.

Likely true. Most of the New Testament is simply cultural mythology.

This is not new news. However it is good that it come s up again and again over time, so those who were unaware can learn something.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2141
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.