Agnostic.com

12 3

Do you actively represent Atheists (in person or on the web)?

Do you blog, podcast, write, vlog, protest, talk about, etc.? I'm curious to know what/if others are representing Atheists in the community.

silvereyes 8 Oct 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I sometimes pass on links or posts on Facebook, but other than that and here, No.

I represent scientific truth, and most of the time that means arguing against conservative religious people.
For Christians i found my best method was to get them to reject the obvious fallacies of the old testament and tell them it was OK to believe in the new. this at least gets them and hopefully their children further removed from abject belief in ridiculous mythology.

No! I do think that something in the Universe has intelligence. What that is I do not know. For example, I do not think that the Universe even knows who I am... the Solar System might, but not the Universe... it's just too big. The Universe may not even be aware of our little solar system. It may just consider us mice in the Restaurant at the End of the Universe. It's a big place. So is there intelligence? That's a tough question. It's true, that it may not speak English, or speak in the language of humans, but that doesn't change what it is, and who we are. Think about this.... We live on the same planet with apes, we ARE apes, and yet we barely understand them. I think this is significant.

I was treasurer for the halton peel humanists for 7 years but with only 50 members out of 1 million potential [ suburb of toronto] I give up. Atheists' new religion is money. very little consensus to be found otherwise

Just as a do not want religious people trying to push their beliefs on me, I do not feel the need to push my beliefs on others. If someone If someone issearching for answers, I will ask him or her questions which are pertinent or provide relevant information.

I did a radio show, was guest on radio and TV, and I appeared twice on the Phil Donahue show. Some of you may have noticed that I am not quiet about issues of atheism, separation between state and church, religion, and social issues.

I man the Ask An Atheist booth in Balboa Park every Saturday. It’s always fun and I’ve met a lot of interesting people, including Bionic Dance. (https://www.youtube.com/user/BionicDance)

One of our members records occasionally. I make an appearance somewhere around the 11 minute mark in this one:

I mainly do Facebook and other forums like Agnostic.com at the moment. We have a couple of breakfast meetings and dinners near where I live, so I go to those every month. If there was an atheist march or protest I would absolutely go. I definitely want to get more active, so it's up to me.

No, I generally only get called one as if it were a bad thing. I generally don't like talking about stupid sh... I have plenty of t-shirts that proclaim my lack of faith in religions and countries and I don't mind telling people why I haven't and won't participate aside from the half dozen times my mother drug me into church as a child.

To actively represent a "disbelief" in something sounds a bit silly. If you like Metallica you wear a Metallica t-shirt, tattoo, etc. If you DON'T like Metallica do you wear an Anti-Metallica shirt?? Do you brand your skin in some kind of protest against something? No, you promote what you like or who you are. I do value some "Christian-ish" values like Loving others, helping and giving to the needy and being the best damn human I can be. I just don't do these things because some ancient book says I want to go to heaven or avoid hell. I am continuously mistaken for a Christian because of the example I set out in the real world. When someone asks me if I believe I chuckle the assumption off and explain that I don't need GOD to be a good person. If you need God's promise of heaven to be a good human, then you really aren't being a good human. Focus on being a good human and to hell (LOL) with labels..

Dan Barker (Freedom From Religion Foundation) talked about how those values that are shared by all religions, like helping the needy and being kind to others, are actually HUMAN values. On the other hand, rules about what you can and can’t do or eat (that are different for each religion) are religious values.

I don't hide it but I have never been to a protest. This is realty the first online function that I have been on that isn't fb, email, or for work.

I debate publically in churches and online. There are a surprising number of pastors, minister and fathers wanting to discuss any number of subjects. I started by mailing out flyers years ago thinking I wouldn't get any to respond but I get calls all the time. They invite me to debate anything from evolution to the age of the Earth and of course morality which is my least preferred topic, but all of it no matter what subject is brought up goes to morality and how Atheist cope with having no foundation for morality. Which we do, it's just ours is societal and it evolves.

No usually, and I prefer it that way. I have lost ever debate I have been at because the audience is generally less than 50 people and they are all theists. The vote is read before and after the debate. It will be, for the proposal, against the proposal, and abstain. My goal isn't to win. My goal is to correct misinformation and allow people to hear for the first time what science is actually saying. Many theists claim they don't believe in evolution and when doing a debate my opening line is; For all of you who don't accept evolution, you might be surprised to find out that you don't understand the very thing you claim is untrue. You're being taught evolution not by the scientists but by the apologists, and they are often misinformed themselves. I'm here tonight to clear that up for you. Thank you for allowing me this opportunity to explain what is actually being said by science, and then you decide for yourself if the apologetics taught to you, balance up to the real explanation provided by science. The best chance to educate people is in the question and answer period. I often forgo my rebuttal in favor of more time in question and answer. The claims asserted by the pastor aren't worth my time responding to usually, but sometimes I will and sometimes I won't. You would be shocked to hear some of the questions asked during Q&A. If our ancestors were monkeys why are there still monkeys? I am not a monkey! Why do you insist on calling humans monkeys! Since God created Adam and Eve in human form, why do you still think man evolved from monkeys? The list is endless. I feel great about doing this, and I would do it more often if I could.

What flyer did you mail out? I would love to see the content on that flyer. It would definitely inspire me to send out my own flyers. I love your comment about not caring if you win at a debate. People are definitely getting more interested and exploring atheism more, so now is the time to make the push into theist society.

Do you have specific qualifications that grant you credibility, or do you just ask? I don’t have a degree, but I love to debate and am quite talented at it, if I may be so humble. I have many PhD friends that provide the solid foundation of evidence for my arguments. I’ve never been so bold as to request a formal debate, though.

By getting out there and getting the information to those people, you are doing a great service. I have had people thank me years later.

To Hugene2002: I sent those flyers at over five years ago. I might be able to dig one up on MS word. I'll see if I can find it. All it said: Greetings to Pastor (insert his name) My name is Paul I would like to discuss holding a debate at your Church as a fundraising opportunity for your church. I volunteer my time during this event, and all video and ticket sales will be the property of the (Insert Church name). Two formats that I offer are debate and discussion. I then layout the rules I'm willing to proceed with, for example, no interruptions during the speakers time. You must wrap your speech up within 1 minute of the timer.

To ZenBear: I don't have any qualifications, no degree in biology, philosophy, or theology. I am self-taught on all of these topics, and I have tons of friends who are very qualified review my work and attend the debates. I feel I'm very prepared and I understand how to convey the actual science in ways scientist don't. People get offended when we call humans primates, I explain to them that humans are humans a chimp is a chimp, a silverback gorilla is a silverback gorilla. Science uses comparative anatomy to lump groups into classifications. I then take it away from the personnel and describe how a wolf is a wolf and coyotes are coyotes, and Bassett Hound is a Bassett Hounds, but they all share common physical traits, so they are classified as being a part of the family Canidae. Bring it back to us. I say so just as all Primates have forward-facing eyes, opposable thumbs, nails instead of claws......etc. These similarities get us grouped in with as a primate.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2146
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.