Agnostic.com

17 2

Why is teachers pay one of the most undervalued degrees one can receive ? /

Marine 8 Nov 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Different universities and different countries have different salaries for teachers. Many underestimate this profession. There are a lot of professional teachers, and what they do is a lot of work. Therefore, the salary should be higher than the current one. Of course, there are schools and universities where teachers' salaries are very high. But there are very few such establishments and it's hard to find them. There are websites that help my friend to find a teaching job with a good salary, like [aquinaseducation.co.uk]. But I believe that every school and university should have good salaries.

Teacher salaries vary from university to university and from country to country.

Historically, teachers were not always required to be trained in teaching pedagogy and methodology. Therefore, often a community that was having difficulty filling a teaching spot (usually due to the criminally low salaries being offered), a school system, panicked at starting the school year short staff. In response they would higher individuals that had some tangentially related experience with the content subject, but not trained in teaching methodologies. Abuses occurred.

This changed with Bush's "No child left behind" initiative. Ignoring for the moment the fallacy in the reliance upon standardized testing, what NCLB did do was to force schools to better vet their applicants, and mandated that all schools need hire qualified, certified teaching professionals. No longer would plugging a warm body at the front of the body be allowed.

Secondly, NCLB also mandated that teachers, beyond just being certified, must continue to acquire more education. Re-certification required teachers to work towards an advanced degree or certified advanced training at the very least. Teachers have become professionals.

Now to address the original question as posed. While the profession has addressed its shortcomings, myths still abound in society. Many parents still view educators as as non-professionals despite the error in this reasoning. Also, special intetests (especially fundamental Christians) object to the fact that their biases arent allowed in the curriculum (e.g. Scientific Creationism - doesn't exist). As such they resent having to pay for something they don't agree with.

A growing population in our country that is growing older and nearing retirement age. They still hold on to the old myth of teachers that existed when they were in school. Plus. being retired, they don't want to pay for somebody else's children. They supported education when they had their own children still in school. But do not feel it is their responsibility anymore.

Short answer long. Its the continued perpetration of a teacher myth that devalues the field of teaching. People don't want to pay for something they do not agree with or respect. Even if their asdumptions are based on fallacies.

Good teachers AND nurses should have their pay quadrupled!

The mushroom theory of social control is to keep the majority in the dark and fed on bullshit.

An educated population is a dangerous population if this is your aim.

A bad primary public education system requires bad or disillusioned teachers, keep the pay low recruit only the desperate and mediocre who will do no more than is necessary to keep their job but no less than is required of them, and schools become factories churning out factory fodder, cannon fodder and bitter envious consumers who will sell their vote on the promise of cheap beer and handguns.

People have fucked up priorities.

Cause it's exactly the way the federal government really wants it, just glorified babysitters there to indoctrinate the young with a lesson plan that only shows what they want seen and they can actually form opinions with subliminal media and religious rhetoric where that can't reach. They want kids dumb and forced to play the game at 18 that simple, public school teachers are accessory and don't even know it.

Looking back on my own experience the only things I learned that actually pertained to the real world were A. I sure as shit don't want to teach and B. An unhealthy distrust and disdain for others who judged and belittle my enthusiasm for anything I enjoyed. Everything I know that I actually use in this life was learned on my own experience. School never touched on anything that mattered, like taxes, marriage law, relationships,workplace politics,societal survival, it was solely focused on useless philosophical knowledge and trivia. That's the truth.

I might add that with average passing grades were maintained out of necessity of threats by parents and teachers alike, I found it extremely difficult to care about it being as it was disengaging, I was already holding a job from 10 grade on and couldn't see a reason to take out student loans when I was unsure how I would pay them back, seems to me a lot of young people are force fed the idea that they need a degree and the subsequent debt to survive out here and I adamantly disagree with that notion seeing as I'm working side by side with the college educated and making the same or more without having loans on my head.

This one is easy! At least I think you are asking why public school teachers are underpaid?

The answer is that we as a culture do not value education. We never really have. Just ask yourself, when you were going through school on whom did everyone focus their attention? It certainly wasn't their teachers. Who did everyone openly or even secretly want to be? Was it the brainy and well educated nerds, or was it the athletic males and attractive females?

There was no short-term benefit to being well educated or smart in school, and we are all about the short-term in our culture. As one of those socially awkward nerds that aced every test in school, I can tell you that nobody wished they could be in my shoes. Education is viewed kind of like hard work, in that if most people could avoid either they would happily choose to do so.

My school advisor stated I should not go to college and I do not know why as my grades were average. I later attained two degrees with over 3.5 averages. I hope he was fired because he really did not understand his job.

Because it's a "woman's job" and women's jobs have always been valued less.

We don't create wealth.

Yes. It is criminal how we underpay our teachers.

I spend at least 10-15 hours volunteering at my local JH and HS that my boys attend. I’m always trying to raise money for the school, show our teachers how much we appreciate them as well. Teachers put a lot of money out of thier own pockets. Im not sure how trumps tax changes will effect thier ability to deduct them. We need to do better for the future of America.

$250 is all you can deduct. And most teachers spend at least $1000 a year if not more.

Republican politics, Ever since Reagan;s supply side economics and emphasis on shrinking government, and the aggressive politics introduced by Gingrich, and constant focus on cutting taxes, funding for essential services (including education)has diminished greatly.Also, I genuinely believe that many libertarians and Republican politicians really want the quality of education to decline so that it will be easier to manipulate and control people in the interests of the culture of greed and partisan political control.for political and

Teachers' pay is far too low. Teachers, so fundamental to global, national, and local education, merit more respect and pay. Adminstrators however are grossly overcompensated.

You can not begin to imagine how low the pay is when you factor in how much money we spend buying our own supplies.

This problem is unacceptable. Teachers should not have to pay for supplies, but people cavil about taxes, and fail to understand that minimal investment is yielding egregiously poor returns.

@Skeptic66 It is a huge problem. When they start limiting how much paper you can use, and you are buying pencils and notebooks and glue etc it really hurts morale. And I actually do not have to do that. Our school has worked it into the budget. Not sure how but they have. I do pay for all my own resources, such as books, webinars and professional organizations that I join.

@GreatNani It is shameful, and an indictment of the hypocrisy of too many Americans and certainly politicians who extol the important of education, then fail to fund it sufficiently.

Because our society is foolish and more than a little crazy.

Teachers are the ones that educate our children. They spend 4 years training for their degrees just like everyone else and are required to take additional training to maintain their position.Isn't it common sense that we should want the best educated teachers working with our children.One in five teachers must maintain a second job to meet everyday needs. In some of the southern and midwest states the teachers qualify for foodstamps with their pay being so low With the change in inflation many school districts have decreased spending per pupil by 9 to 10% and the same applies to teachers pay.It is time that students and teachers receive proper funding.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:214956
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.