Agnostic.com

28 3

What do you consider to be the greatest nation on earth if you had to choose?

Ok shallow I know but you aren't allowed to pick your own. I've travelled a lot and got the chance to work in Cuba for a few months when I was young. Of course I haven't travelled everywhere so it's highly selective but I'm still giving my vote to Cuba. The people were the friendliest and most open to debate and reason I've ever met. Palestine came a close second for similar reasons.

diabhal 7 Feb 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

mr trump will be disappointed

Denmark. They stood by their Jews as a nation during the holocaust.

Myah Level 6 Feb 6, 2018

There's a lovely story about one of the old Spanish cities at the time of the Expulsion of the Jews from Spain in 1492. The Jews had no choice but to leave the country, but the Christians of the city preserved the synagogue and Jewish quarter exactly as it was in the hope that the Jewish residents would one day be allowed to return.

I would not even venture a guess and it certainly is NOT my country of the USA.

Sweden..

Iceland for so many reasons.

What reasons?

@repubatheists biggest one for me is their banking system, after the GFC they jailed most of their bank executives, forgave all debt and started again with a public owned bank and later sold it and gave the population the money. There is only a population of about 300,000 and the place is greener than Greenland and the Pirate Party is more popular than the government.

I see. I wonder how Iceland would be faring if it could accept more people and didn't have such strict limitations on economy, immigration, etc. Something that is interesting about Iceland is that it has the oldest democracy in the world, but that isn't too surprising considering the population is so small and no one really wants to move there.

@repubatheists Not sure how true, apparently the name is a misnomer, and was used to discourage people from going there? An equivalent in the south pacific would be nice. Anyone care to join me in Tokelau?

Bhutan I always thought was interesting

Bhutan

[goo.gl]

another great question, impossible to answer

By "greatest" I assume you mean the country you like to live in the most?

I'd say Australia, then Thailand. If you mean nice people, Thailand would go first, but I LOVE Australian attitudes.

Sweden or Norway, probably. Universal healthcare, significant gender parity, excellent educational system, long life spans. And not much woo.

apart from the endless winters 😀

@walklightly I live in Chicago. Winter don't scare me. 😉

Japan.

I would choose Cuba except I got expecific requirements... I can not receive my retirement in Cuba. No banking. Cuba won't be the greatest country on earth, no matter how bad I want to dance Son with an Havanera Lady. Give me Denmark or Spain. GIve me FInland or Sweden. Give me any of the Baleares Islands. I already lived in Crete. So... just let me go home. P.R.

None of the above. All nations are corrupted.

All nations are corrupted/human some more human/corrupted than others.

😀 @Tomas

Sweden

Not this one.

I've driven from northern Scotland to Rome and hung out in Denmark a little bit, Canada and Mexico, and the US is the best as far as I'm concerned.

I've always had a great love of Iran. Tons of history and archaeology, beautiful art, long literary and poetic tradition, loads of different ethnic groups and religions (and, as tends to be the case everywhere, 99.9% of the people don't care about their differences and just want to get on with the daily business of selling stuff to each other.. I'll add a note here that while I'm an atheist, I find religion fascinating), amazing cities and almost ridiculously beautiful countryside, incredible wildlife, stupendously good food and, it seems from every book I've read and documentary I've seen on the place, a lot of very, very beautiful women... basically everything that is good about a nation. Such a pity they've had such awful leaders.

Jnei Level 8 Feb 16, 2018

I have a big like of the Scandinavian countries.

interesting. i've never been to cuba, but it's pretty much on top of my favorite travel destinations list. of the places i have visited, the canary islands stands out for me: politically this would be the nation of spain, but geographically the seven islands belong to the northwest african coast. i love the blend of people, the climate, the eco awareness, the music. i find what's going on socio-economically & politically in iceland intriguing too, but it's so cooooold!

After a few days... I see that Denmark (best country in the world in real data) is the destination of choice and for good reasons. Between us men... women treat you nice and I still have a friend that I met in 1994 and keep in touch via FB. I am lucky to had shared time with people of Denmark. And she drove from Aarhaus to Stuttgart GE to come and see me. That is more driving I had never, ever done to see a woman. That is my humble, personal opinion of Danish Women.

United States. As an American living in Sweden most of the year for nearly three years, I rule out Scandinavian countries as being the best nations in the world.

Lmao. Oh, please. I'd love to hear the reasoning behind that considering we lag far behind every other civilized nation in things like education, life expectancy, health care etc. The only thing we lead the world in is people in prison and gun violence.

@Jls804 Have you ever lived in a Scandinavian country for an extended period of time?

You live out of united states most of the year for 3 years and considered the country the best in the world? Your statement is an Oximoron of republiKKKan proportion I guess.

I would say either Canada or Sweden.

I have relatives in Denmark, so probably there. Also like Iceland, Sweden, and Finland.

I got to travel Europe and liked Denmark for its people.

Nowhere is perfect because all countries are inhabited by humans who inherently have failings. Nearly 40 years ago afreind and his family emigrated to Canada. At the time we thought they were mad. Now, 40 years on, they have experienced a terrific life in Canada. It was us stay at homes who missed out.

For most of my liermy first choice was England, but with this Brexit nonsense it has brought out the worts in British society. If was any yonger it wuld be Canada here I come.

Thulahn looks lovely. Some of you might know of it.

Jnei Level 8 Feb 16, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21652
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.