Agnostic.com

31 6

Do you remember where you were when the Challenger exploded?

Watching the Falcon Heavy rocket lift off today, I recalled the worst space disaster in my lifetime. I was working at a mall store in Yuma, AZ when the Challenger was launched. I walked across the mall to the Footlocker athletic shoe store to watch. It was horrifying. If you aren't old enough to remember it, you might not want to even read the comments here. It was a brutal day for the space program.

Duke 8 Feb 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

31 comments (26 - 31)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was in college and walking to a class and suddenly stopped and felt a chill. When I got to class and some one told me. And I realized it was at the same time as I felt that chill. I still remember it pretty clearly

Not really but it was either Vancouver, BC or Juneau, AK. Back then people actually watched the shuttle launches and this one was hyped with a civilian on board.

not on the challenger

I remember that exactly. I was off work and at home that day. All of a sudden the show I was watching on TV was interrupted. The anchor only said "This happened 5 minutes ago!" then they rolled the tape. I was stunned ... knocked off my feet. All I could do was cry out loud. It was one of the worst days of my life.

Yep. Found the map. I was in Jacksonville when it was falling out of the sky.

I was on my lunch hour and at Mazzios Pizza in the TV room. It was horrible. And to think that was the one with the first teacher on board right? Was it also the one where parts fell all over Texas? I went out and took a picture of some debris but the metal parts were not the only things that fell. It was horrific.

You might be thinking of Skylab. I think that was the object that burned up as it's orbit degenerated over the USA.

@Duke Skylab debris landed in Australia and the Indian Ocean.

Shuttle Columbia broke up over TX upon re-entry, as I recall.

@Kimba and @Zster Thanks for the correction! I was pretty sure it wasn't the Challenger.

@Zster Thanks for the update Zster.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21741
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.