Agnostic.com

19 2

Taboos, sex and religion

I brought this up at a recent atheist meeting, but one person said it did not relate to atheism. Here's the question. You decide: How important is the concept of "taboo" to sex beyond procreation? I've read that it is very common to invoke taboo fantasies during sex, but don't most sexual taboos relate to religion? Would a thoroughgoing atheist, whatever that is, have a different fantasy life than the religious?

Desertwriter 4 Feb 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think atheist and agnostics have a more nuanced perception of fantasy options, as they do not limit themselves as much concerning taboos! So I would say religion does a role on thinking, and maybe enacting more on fantasies. Even taboo fantasies.

Most religions consider sexual kinks to be taboo in general, but that doesn't mean an atheist would consider them taboo. Most people, in general, find it exciting to be doing something they shouldn't sexually in fantasies whether it's doing it public (a social taboo) or having sex before marriage ( The only taboo based entirely on religion I can think of.) Most kinks and fantasy by themselves have very little to do with religion and more to do with a culture and society thing I would imagine. It is possible I do not understand your question is there certain fantasies you were thinking of?

I don't consider religion when it comes to sex so yeah that just wouldn't occur to me. Again religion has made just about everything taboo to them, but that doesn't mean other people consider it to be a taboo.

I don't think I'm normal.

I don't have any fantasies. Simply enjoying a woman's body, giving her as much pleasure as I can and receiving some back in return is all I need. Yes, you try everything and go with the things that you both enjoy most - but kinky biological activities and dressing up have never interested me.

Yes I was thinking of incest and also having a child at an age where you are still a child yourself I had schoolfriends who were really messed up by the pretence that the child they had ,was really their mother's, and carrying the social stigma and fear of being found out - I may be incredibly naiive but would imagine there are only so many masturbatory fantasies.

Having been both religious and non religious, I've pretty much got the same fantasies.

I don't recall anything changing when I made the transition, I've never discussed the subject with anyone else, so have formed no opinions about that.

Blaming religion for sexual taboos is like blaming religion for hunger.

Anyone who has read about ANY remote civilisation will know that sex by itself is enough to create a huge range of problems.

Honestly, I think incest IS INDEED religious based, at least in terms of "christians" and jews. While A. it's looked down upon, it's also B. an integral unspoken path to population in Genesis. "Christians" and jews don't like to talk about it, but there's really no other explanation if only two individuals were the start of humanity. Thus, it's kinda like gawd or Jeezy Weezy is like, "listen, it's not cool, but hey, it happens, amiright? wink wink Now go on widdit." After all, taboo is "I know we not supposed to, but fuck I really want to, the consequences be damned!"

Growing up in a religious family, I was always taught that sex was for married couples to make babies. Anything outside of that was sinful. When I started to question good and religion it occurred to me that most sex acts weren't bad or "sinful". Obviously, acts like rape, sexual coersion, were more than just taboo, they are illegal and reprehensible. There are some acts, mostly dealing with bodily fluids and waste and such, which have unsanitary implications. There may be closeted religious people who have taboo sex lives, but overall I would guess that anti-religious people have more open ideas about sexuality.

In general, religion is to blame for all sexual taboos, because we all (even the most non-religious and progressive ones among us) are conditioned in early age to consider sex as vice, as something dirty, a form of guilty pleasure, which it is not.
To me everything that:

1. Happens with the (unquestionable) consent of all the participants;
  2. Brings no harm or lasting burden upon any of them;
    is perfectly fine, regardless of any other factors.

Religion appropriates sexual pleasure in order to put future generations of bums on pews. It wants you to breed. Ideally, it wants a couple to produce more than two children, so that the congregation expands exponentially with each generation. It also wants a say in who you breed with, hence the emphasis on religiously endorsed marriage, and the huge religious backlash at the idea that (same sex) people might want the right to marry, when they have no intention of providing future pew fodder for God.

So anything that doesn't lead to risk of pregnancy, between two adults in a committed relationship is taboo. Masturbation? Nope. Contraception? Nope still for some religions (I think others just work on the basis that God's will is strong enough to defeat the pill or a condom if he wants to bless you with offspring.) Anything between two men or two women? Nope. Even a God who can create a universe in 6 days can't create life out of that, it seems,

Agreed, some other things are taboo not for religious reasons, but just out of general disgust. But the taboos relating to obtaining sexual pleasure without risking pregnancy mostly relate to religion.

Would my girlfriend/wife walking around the house topless when you visit be considered taboo?

Socially? Yes. Personally, no.

Free the nipple!!!

Your home, Your rules. Would I be expected to disrobe as well? Again....Your home, Your rules. It's up to the guest to follow the household rules of the host. If I were expected to disrobe, you might not like what you see, but the choice is the host's.

Not necessarily.

Scat, watersports, rape, and incest are pretty well taboo for just about everyone*. Religion has nothing to do with it.

• Not everyone, creepily enough.

Watersports...like jet skis and waverunnurs, right?

There are some "biological caveats" that supersede religious doctrine re sexual practices. Likely "too" much mixing with members is a no no (though much more than monogamy is of value), Most anything that doesn't accrue toward improving social relations, physiological release, reproduction is out.

There are lots of non-religious taboos. Incest is a big one.

To me sexual fantasies are healthy between two consenting adults. everyone has sex, religious or not, and we are all human we all enjoy fantasies. No fantasies are taboo (unless you are choosing to act out an illegal fantasy turned action fort example rape/insest/underage)
All fantasies are good weather it be Dress up/Dominatrix/submissive/3somes/orgies/anal/roleplay/outdoors... the list goes on and on.
Im not sure how sexual fantasies are taboo or have anything to do with religion.

Sacha Level 7 Feb 7, 2018

Remember too that rape, incest, and underage stuff varies from religion/culture to religion/culture. In some Asian cultures, it is perfectly ok to chase down, rape, and walk away from a woman if you "intend" on marrying her or if she was promised to you. Incest is/was obvious in the bible. Hell, 100 years ago, underage would have been perfectly fine as long as puberty had hit the girl. Fantasies now are just what was ok back in the day, and have direct correlation to religion.

@thekodiak33 good on ya

Religion is taboo...and I'd love to wear a latex nun outfit!

@twshield men and their "Promises"..(rolls eyes)

@Biagnostic doesn't it just..

Sex itself is taboo in Christianity with sex outside of a marriage being so heinous it's worthy of the punishment of death. I agree with jlynn37. In reality, it's only taboo if it injures another person.

I had to read your question twice to understand it. I only have one thing to say about your question: whatever taboo subject you want to entertain during sex, is fine with me. As long as you don't manifest it, I think, we are all ok with it.

Peace,
Spinliesel

As long as it is adult, consensual and cause no harm to anyone, nothing is taboo. (IMHO)

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21861
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.