Agnostic.com

17 0

LINK Do you eat less meat?

With all the recent discussions about the effects of meat production on the environment have you reduced, or plan to reduce, the amount of meat you eat?

SteveUK 4 Nov 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Thanks everyone for responding to my question. I'm vegan for the usual reasons of animal welfare, environment and health so it's a subject very dear to me. We've been told, mostly by the meat industry, for over a generation now that we must eat meat to get the proteins and nutrients that we need. This isn't true and there's lots of research to back that. There's a huge environmental cost in producing meat. At least 75% of the plant protein grown is for animal consumption. Much of that protein is grown on deforested land which just accelerates the vicious circle towards climate change. Forest that removed CO2 from the air is turned into land that contributes to even greater greenhouse gas levels. It takes at least 10 pounds of plant protein to produce 1 pound of beef and in most cases more. When it comes to animal welfare factory farming in intensive units in particular is just horrendous. I find it difficult to think about. I personally am glad that I am not on the receiving end of all the antibiotics, hormones and other drugs that are administered to animals in order to keep them alive, and fatten them up, in factory units and farms. If you choose to eat meat please do it responsibly and in awareness of the consequences of your choice.

This is really controversial. I was a vegan for years for health reasons (very high cholesterol levels) but when I passed menopause, all of the grains beans and carbs made me gain weight like crazy. Consequently because of this, my A1c, blood pressure and cholesterol went up. In order to control my weight I had to build muscle so I had to return to eating meat as a protein and a very low carb diet. I lost the weight and everything went back to normal. Well normal for me anyway... And I was exercising 3 hours a day so that wasn't a factor. I am convinced postmenopausal women can I eat a diet loaded with carbs and remain healthy.

It's not easy sometimes to maintain a healthy vegan diet because a meat-free diet isn't necessarily healthy. Just a suggestion, search 'whole food plant-based.' There's some really good stuff out there which has been well researched.

No beef, no pork

Yes and no. I eat meat, less than in my younger days mostly for health reasons, and supplement with other proteins. I still eat meat weekly. I don't like the way animals are treated in some places, and when possible choose foods I KNOW are what they say (for those that don't know, example coming, eggs that say free range, by law only need to allow the chickens access to the outdoors. Open a door on a chicken coop which continually supplies food to the chickens who remain indoors and watch how many get up and go outside to scratch for food)

I have not eaten any meat for 9 years.

No. I think going vegetarian might be as bad or even worse.

Why?

With more production of vegetables for crops, more forests being taken down and the local fauna will suffer. I don't know to which extent I'm right or wrong but that's my train of thought.

I was a complete meat eater until January 2018. When I learnt all the facts, and could no longer find reasons for continuing to eat meat, I turned into a vegan in February. And I think I made one of the best decisions of my life. I will admit that in the meat eating culture, it's hard often times. I probably cheated minorly once in a while. But I have no intention to become a meat eater again. The power of reason and the understanding of what compassion means is what led me to my vegan life.

Knock the horns off and put it on my plate! 😉

nope.
But I like a lot of other things, especially seafood.
That's my favorite.

I tend to eat mostly fish and little other meat. For me it’s a morality thing. I can’t trust people to humanely raise animals. I used to think it was not my concern, but I feel less so these days.

It's not "meat", it is the charred remains of a murdered being.....it's flesh of a being who wanted to live.
It's a chopped up corpse.
Let's start calling things what they really are.

I am an Ethical Vegan for the Animals first, the environment second, and my health third.

Even if it didn't help the environment or keep me in excellent health, I would still be Vegan because torturing, enslaving, imprisoning, exploiting, and murdering our fellow Earthlings is morally and ethically wrong.

If you could live and be incredibly healthy without harming another living creature....then why wouldn't you? The only good reasons for not being vegan is that you are either dead or just don't give a fuck about the rights of other sentient beings.

I’ve recently changed my diet for the same reasons you cite. Though, I honestly can’t figure a few things out. How would you respond to the notion that animals are inevitably killed in the course of plant harvest? What about how farm animals would not have life to begin with had they not been bred for food. It’s questions like these that keep me wondering about what the most moral diet would be.

@indirect76

Let me address the animals who are bred just to be murdered.
Can you imagine being born with your death date already pre-decided?
Breeding an animal just to murder it and eat its corpse is no different than the slave-traders who sold the children of their slaves to other slave-owners. Is it ok to breed humans just to sell them?
Would it be ok to breed humans just to kill them and harvest their organs for rich people?
Oh, but they wouldn't have even lived if they weren't bred to be sold or killed, right?

The number one way you can determine if something is humane is to ask, would it be ok to do this to humans?

As for the "animals killed during farming" question: It is our responsibility to stop as much death as we can. To this end, most vegans try to grow their own food as much as practical (I personally have a huge garden!) and also buy locally, organic, hand-harvested food when possible.

The official definition of Veganism is: "Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose."

As far as is possible and practicable.

Here's a link that might help:
[theveganspeak.com]

@SkotlandSkye Well, I agree with your usage of the word “vegetarian”. Ultimately that description is the foundation of my motivation. This is good because that means we have the same motive!

Though, I think we have a fundamental disagreement. I don’t believe humans and animals are interchangeable when it comes to moral judgements, as outlined your second paragraph.

@indirect76

The whole "humans are superior" bullshit comes from religion and the "created in the image of god" delusion. If you break free of that societal conditioning, then the truth becomes clear.

All members of the animal kingdom carry equal moral weight.
If it is wrong to kill and eat a dog, a whale, or a human...then it is equally wrong to kill and eat a cow, a pig, and a chicken.

@SkotlandSkye I’ve never been religious in my life, so my view on this definitely doesn’t come from that. It comes from the observation that there is a difference between humans and animals. It’s not that much different than some vegetarians observation that there is a difference between animals and plants.

@indirect76 And what is this significant difference? Do they not have central nervous systems? Do they not feel scared? feel pain? Do they not have plans and purposes of their own? Or do you judge them based on their intelligence relative to humans? If we judge humans by the standards of, say, eagles, then humans are severely malformed and deficient in the ability to fly and see long distances.
It is incorrect to judge animals based on human ideas.

There is a term "speciesism" which is discrimination based on species.
Someone who practices this form of discrimination is called a "speciest".

[thefreedictionary.com]

This meme, with the wise words of Alice Walker, should be considered by anyone who is pondering this issue.

@SkotlandSkye I’d say the significant difference is their ability to conceive of and mourn death.

@indirect76 You need to visit farms and hear the cows and sheep call for days for their murdered children....

Have you really never seen a squirrel run back into traffic repeatedly to try and get their dead companion to wake up?

Animals do mourn -- in their own way and as much as they can understand about the world.
Let's stop judging them by human standards.

There are a lot of humans who don't mourn the death of other humans. Should we go ahead and kill them off?

And, there a billions of humans who have no compassion for animals or mourn the deaths of animals....shall we kill them off too?

Here is an article about how cows mourn the loss of their calves.
[peta.org]

@SkotlandSkye I did not say they have no ability to conceive of or mourn death. I said it is different. I could have been more clear on that though.

Let me ask this, so I better understand your position. Would the destruction of a hornets nest be on equal moral grounds as the destruction of a small town of equal population? Earlier you mentioned the animal kingdom, so I want to be sure we are talking about the same thing here.

I eat less than I used to, but it’s probably more to do with the price than a conscious decision. Poultry is a lot less expensive and eat I fish quite a lot too. I like some vegetarian dishes and also have “meatless “ meals quite often, using eggs, pulses and pasta with vegetables instead of meat. I will never give up meat altogether as I firmly believe humans are designed to eat a variety of different of foods from all categories of nutrients, and to maintain good health we need a balanced diet.

less meat than whom? than i used to? no, i eat the same amount of meat i ever did, give or take, depending on what i can afford. i eat a reasonable amount of meat. i do not eat as much as i am told the average american does, but i get my animal protein. if i have a steak at home, i have half of it; my guy and i share one steak. we do not need a whole one, and we have tons of veg with it. i am diabetic so i should actually eat more meat, but it's expensive.

g

I've been a vegetarian for 5 years now. No meat for me.

My diet is 90% veggies... No plans to reduce meat consumption anymore than this...

Why not? If we personally feel horrible to kill something in our own hands and then process and eat, may be we should not cause the pain in the first place in a living sentient being for the pleasure in our mouth. We probably don't need to breed something that we then subject to cruelty. Probably we are just indoctrinated since our childhood with the lure of taste of meat in a meat culture, just like a baby becomes indoctrinated in a religious home. And why all the greens of the earth need to be processed through these three primary animals (chicken, cow, goat) as intermediaries to provide nutrient where as you can derive that directly from the earth and plants. And why taking the moral responsibility if you can think that way? And why being part of environmental destruction in the process? If we can reduce 90%, we can 100%. And if we absolutely can't get away from this indoctrination, there exists artificial meat to consume which more and more in time will taste exactly the real ones. Hope you get what I am saying.

@AnandaKhan I've butchered and slaughtered my own before. I have no problem with it... I'm doing my part by eating 10% meat. If everyone did this it would be a bigger impact than me going 100% veggie. When I do eat meat its usually chicken and fish. And the only reason I eat mostly veggies is because I like veggies.

@Cutiebeauty Well, that means you very well know the pain in those "you butchered and slaughtered" and the fear in their eyes and the groaning came out of their bodies when you performed the act. I guess you didn't care as you have experienced others doing it while you grew up and your desire for the flesh is much more important for you than the pain you are causing. Anyway, if such pain and suffering in sentient being can't stop you doing what you are doing, all argument of mine will probably fail. Noone can butcher and slaughter their beloved dog to acquire flesh which probably means we can only butcher and slaughter ones we don't love. So, I guess human being has a limited circle of compassion and love and they butchered and slaughtered many other human beings for their own selfish reasons in the past; again I guess they didn't love them, in fact hated them. I hope someday people can expand their circle of compassion and love even more. We already made progress and may be we can make even more progress and keep all sentient beings in our circle of compassion and love. So, I will stop but I will just urge to think and read more. Thank you.

Yes, I am a supposed vegan. Yet, I occasionally ingest fish and bird things.

I have always eaten somewhat less meat. It was always an ingredient not the main course when I was raised. The occasional burger is good. I mixed ground mushrooms in my burger meat a while back and it was great. Iv heard of this as a way of lessening meat use. It seems like all the meat replacement vegan products get all the attention. To me replacing 1/3 of the beef with mushrooms would have significant benefits to the environment and human health.

MsAl Level 8 Nov 9, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:218920
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.