Agnostic.com

31 7

QUESTION Why is the Bible so poorly written?

Why does the Bible so fail to meet this mark? One obvious answer, of course, is that neither the Bible nor any derivative work like the Quran or Book of Mormon was actually dictated by the Christian god or other celestial messengers. We humans may yearn for advice that is “god-breathed,” but in reality, our sacred texts were written by fallible human beings, who try as they might, fell short of perfection in the ways we all do.

But why is the Bible so badly written? Falling short of perfection is one thing, but the Bible has been the subject of literally thousands of follow-on books by people who were genuinely trying to figure out what it means. Despite best efforts, their conclusions don’t converge, which is one reason Christianity has fragmented into over 40,000 denominations and non-denominations.

zblaze 7 Feb 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

31 comments (26 - 31)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Which bible? There are many. But to answer your question, because it was written by some poorly educated bone heads who our President just loves.

Sound like you've kinda answered your own question.... For the most part, it was authored over a span of hundreds of years. Lack of communication amongst authors is the most obvious answer...

Not at war with the "good book".

No one really cares what you are "at war with" Gipsy. The Buybull is a Shitty book!

@zblaze And Gipsy not fucking care that you hate a book. I repeat... I Don't Fucking Care that you Hate the bible. Go and tell your parents, they are the missionaries... go and march and picket in front of a church... go make war to the bible, stalking the pope. Go... Git.

@GipsyOfNewSpain is a fucking asshole it appears!!! Neither the post or I have said we "hate the bible", that's your own trip. Go straight away and fuck yourself Gipsy!

@zblaze You need to get laid... is friday, payday... go catch an uber and get laid, pop that cherry, is about time.

I do not intend to argue exactness with you. I consider the Bible as awesome work. I know about the dead sea scrolls,etc, but it is not something that I care to be an expert about. As I said, no one knows the real me. That is the way I like it. You want to argue and piss me off, go ahead, I will block you and take your fun away.

Block away Bitch, you won't take my fun away.

I may not believe it is the word of God, but this is a really poorly written article written by someone who clearly has no understanding of ancient writing of any sort.

The bible includes parts of the Jewish cannon, so yes, the authorship is spread over 900 years.

Yes, some books may not have actually been written by the person ascribed to them. And the authors of many others including the Old Testament aren't known. But hey, there are issues with the authorship of certain Shakespeare plays. And Plato made Socrates a freaking character in his plays, so who knows exactly what Socrates actually believed? And if we discounted anonymous books, well... there goes Beowolf.

Yes, it contains some different genres of writing... what exactly is wrong with that?

Yes, there are difficulties translating between languages and things are lost in translation (duh!) but the article doesn't point out a single instance of that.

Yes, it contains old language including begats, some of which is hard to understand. Again, look at Shakespeare. Why didn't Juliet just say, "Why did the guy I'm into have to be Romeo?" instead of "Wherefore art thou, Romeo?"

I could go on, but... if you're going to hate on the bible, hate on the fact that a bunch of books were thrown out of the bible at the Council of Nicea, or just that you don't think it's divinely inspired. As a historical document it has tremendous value.

I wrote it and I am an Insudtrial Electrical and Computer Systems Design Syand Installations systems Engineer. I am far from stipud. I graduated wit a 3.99 average. I worked with all men. To be accepted and respected on a job, I had not to be good, but better than the male engineers. If you were nice, you were a suckup to get along. If you did your job better and was not a suck up, you were a BITCH. I stood my ground and my engineering field projects always went in ahead of schedule and a minimum amount of errors to be fixed. I have worked primarily in the USA, some in Canada, and some in Europe. The point you were making about the language problems was the point I was trying to make. The different translations just made it worse. So my stupid paragraph may not be write, but the end result of what I wrote conveyed the write idea. I do not know much about language. A few words here and there in countries I worked. But, in my crudely written paragraph the message about all the translations making the Bible even worse was there. And never ever assume what I do or do not know. I do not share who and what I am with people. What I am no is a CHRISTIAN, ATHEIST. OR AGNOSTIC. And I do not HATE the BIBLE. I consider it a positive book that has astrology, prophets, and other occult phenomena.

I'm not calling you stupid, and congrats on your success in a male dominated field. I just strongly disagree with a lot of the issued mentioned, and wanted to point out that a lot of the "faults" of the bible as a literary source are shared by many ancient writings. I've put in my time doing research on these matters.

Who said anything about "hating" the Buybull?

@zblaze "hating on" something is slang, and not the same thing as "hating" something. It's slang for "criticizing" or "disparaging" someone (or in this case, something).

Gesundheit

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21904
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.