Agnostic.com

111 11

Is life meaningful without religion?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

111 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Why wouldn't it be meaningful, each day you have is a gift that can be taken away at any moment. If you cannot find meaning in that then you need to rethink your belief system.

Building on what JT said, I would venture to say that life is actually MORE meaningful without religion because there is no promise of anything other than the here and now. We do good for good's sake and not to buy our way into an afterlife. Holding onto the notion that there is something else devalues your life, and attributing experiences that move you to a god for whom their is no evidence cheapens those experiences.

I agree, and very well put.

for sure

Very well said. I've long thought that if you are a good person, it's because you are truly good, and if you need religion's threat of hell and/or promise of heaven to make you be a good person, then you're not really a good person at heart.

Nicely put, Percy.

Yes, and you don't have all the horrors religion can put on people. You follow natural instincts for behavior. Lose religious fear and you have peace and confidence to do good for good's sake. People will build helping agencies when there is need. Altruism is part of humanity.

Absolutely! As Ricky Gervais puts it - the lack of a belief in a god means we have everything to LIVE for!

Draco Level 6 Sep 23, 2017

yes

of course it is.

tonia Level 5 Sep 27, 2017

YES life is meaningful but being human one still have this need to be accepted or apart of. I've made the decision to walk alone if I have to. I will not go alone that I might not be alone.

surely, I can live like a chicken.

YUP, but not an objective one!

More so.

Life is MORE meaningful. To know this is the one life to only exist, I love more. Strive to have fewer regrets. Appreciate the little moments. Appreciate the time I have with my loved ones; especially my grandmother who turns 90 this year. To know that I will never see her again makes every second THAT much more special for me.

Absolutely. I think it's even more meaningful since we live in the present. Not worrying about pleasing some entity or going to some magical place when we die. I love life!

Great Answer!

How is life meaningful WITH religion? You can do every action some cowardly nutjob can do without needing to believe in some sky-magician, and it will all have the exact same effect on others.

Why wouldn't it be?

Yeah, sure.

Kero Level 2 Sep 30, 2017

Is what you do meaningful to you? Then you are getting meaning out of life.

What does religion have to do with getting meaning out of life?

The only reason your life should have any meaning is if you yourself find and attribute meaning to your life.

it has an extended meaning!

Of course it is life is always meaningful you don't even Legion to bring meaning to your life being alive is Meaningful enough will you choose to do with a life that's the question

Of course. Perhaps even more meaningful and important.

is it with it.

I think life is even more meaningful without religion. When you aren't looking forward to dying so you can meet the big guy in the sky or you think there is another life after this one you don't really value the life you have. But when you don't believe in the afterlife then you treasure the life you have more and don't look forward to dying. Ricky Gervais explained this really well in an interview with Piers Morgan.

Absolutely!! Religion terrified me as a kid so now I feel very free without it. I can “sin” all I want and not feel like some massive man in the sky was going to send me to hell. I also love caring for animals and that gives me so much more meaning to my life than appeasing said massive man in the sky.

Life is what you make it, it is your actions that give it meaning. Giving something of yourself to others, the environment, the general social good or someone in need puts that meaning in it. I would hate the idea of looking back on a life that did nothing to make the world a better place.

Yes, absolutely. Meaning is something we create in our own minds. Before leaving Christianity, I probably would've said no, because I couldn't imagine my life without the beautiful mythology that I accepted as real. I wrote lots of songs about it. But the freedom I experienced in leaving all that behind has inspired me more than religion ever did, and I still write lots of songs!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.