Agnostic.com

15 2

What TV shows or movies have you seen recently? What book have you read last and what did you think of it?

TerriCity 7 Feb 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Been watching Planet Earth II on Netflix. Astonishingly beautiful photography and a solid reminder of both the wonder of nature and the imperative to preserve it.

I watched that too! I love nature shows and Richard Attenborough is the best !

I took a break from serious reading and have been devouring the works of Louise Penny. I don't even generally like mysteries, but she's a really good writer.

I am just starting The Undoing Project by Michael Lewis. It looks to be fascinating. Tell ya later. 🙂

Look forward to hearing about it. I have read mystery books/ series off and on, PD James and Tony Hillerman are a couple of authors I like.

Does the Super Bowl count. I don't have a TV but was at the clubhouse watching. As to a book, that would be 'The Burning Room' by Michael Connelly. I've enjoyed aal of Connelly's books.

For movie buffs " 5 came back " is a great doc

What is it about? I like good documentaries.

@TerriCity 5 directors, John Ford, William Wilder, John Houston. George Stevens and Frank Capra. What they did during WW2 and before (well before Pearl Harbor).
[theguardian.com]

Black mirror is outstanding

In September or October, I started watching (for the first time ever) the entire seven series of Gilmore Girls. I cried my eyes out when I watched the season 7 finale about two weeks ago.

Then I watched Gilmore Girls, A Year in the Life - four episodes filmed ten years later. Finished the last one Monday night I think. Cried my eyes out again. No matter how much my brain knows it is all a freaking TV show, I didn't want them to be gone from my life. How loo-loo-bell is that? LOL!

TV show: Breaking Bad blew me away....

I just finished First Season of TrueBlood. If I could live forever, I would.

Watching Justified on season 3 now. It's okay.
Just finished the first season of This Is Us, and it is deserving of all the hype.
Dying for the next season of Better Call Saul.

Better Call Saul is one of the best shows on TV. <3

Could not agree with you more on This is Us. Waiting for this season on Nexflix since I missed too many. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. (Jack, the dad - Milo Vili-something -- had a long time recurring role in Gilmore Girls I just finished. He was a young pup in Gilmore Girls, but I recognized him right away. I love Jack.)

@BlueWave He was Peter Petrelli in Heroes!!! A show that is in my top 5 all time favorites.

Just bought a delightful memoir by one of this website's members, Ruth Marimo; OUTsider: Crossing Borders. Breaking Rules. Gaining Pride. I'm halfway through and love it.

The last forum I joined (an MK -missionary kid-forum) had a member, Les Arbuckle who wrote his memoir of living in Saigon as a pagan kid, just before the outbreak of the Vietnam war.

Another friend of someone on that same forum, Ron Snell, wrote his "It's a Jungle Out There!" memoir series about growing up with stone age natives in the Amazon jungles of Peru. It's a wonder that guy survived childhood, but he did, and the books are a scream, if you aren't squeamish.

I usually read several books at a time, so I'm also in the middle of rereading all the James Herriot books, rereading the Misha Burnett Catskinner series, depending on which book comes up first on my Galaxy Note tablet. I'm partway through many other books and might switch to reading them instead, depending on my mood.

The "It's a Jungle Out There" sounds interesting. I have read the Herriot books through several times and love them. The PBS series on them was not bad also. I just finished All The Light We Cannot See (Author Anthony Doer) and enjoyed it very much. A few others I thought were exceptional include : The Girl on the Train , Gone Girl , The Time Traveller's Wife (the movie is a tear jerker & well done), Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norell, The Gollam and the Jinni and The Memory Keeper's Daughter.

@TerriCity Warning on the" jungle out there" book; the parents are in the Amazon by request of the Peru government, to document unknown indigenous tribes, but their real reason is to write a Bible translation.

The parents mostly try to help people..give medication to sick Indians, teach them to read, etc., while living in open, thatch houses and eating the food the Indians eat.
They don't seem overtly evangelical, mostly humorously blase about the dangerous activities of their would-be Indian hunter son, but it might offend you anyway.

I was introduced by my son-in-law to Daniel Quinn's books ISHMAEL and THE STORY OF B. Am currently reading the 3rd in the series, MY ISHMAEL. These stories present an entirely different way of looking at civilization, and how we got to where we are today, in terms of culture. It's quite fascinating to me.

That sounds very interesting. Of course, Ishmeal reminds me of Moby Dick, great movie with Gregory Peck and great classic book though very long.

@TerriCity right, but no relationship.

Latest... the shape of water. the netflix thing about a title with carbon... couldn't stomach in two attempts. I am on Frasier season 9 episode 15.

Reading "The amazing adventures of Cavalier and Clay" on the recommendation of a very literate friend.

I just saw The Phantom Thread and loved it. Daniel Day Lewis is so good and will be missed after his well deserved retirement

I just finished All "The Light We Cannot See" by Anthony Doerr. Highly recommended! I also read "The Girl on the Train" recently and loved it! I also liked the movie very much. I am a fan of Game of Thrones and I still like Survivor and Amazing Race. I like HBO because there are no commercials - I like Bill Mahar and the Daily Shoe (also Trevor Noah's book "Born A Crime" is really really good.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22001
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.