Agnostic.com

42 12

Did you ever have a best friend? What earned them the title?

I had a few people at different times of my life that became my besties.

All had a few things in common. They were creatives, we could laugh together, and I would totally forget the time when I was with them.

However, only one was able to go down philosophical garden paths with me. We'd get lost in our thoughts, deeply introspecting. I find that quality quite special.

silvereyes 8 Feb 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

42 comments (26 - 42)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well... I've been so busy taking care of my family's needs and my wife that I've lost that best friend thing with another guy. Im friends with other people outside my family... but i suppose my wife could be my best friend if that counts.

They were always kind,considerate and there for me when necessary.

I have had a best friend since we were 12. We are going on a road trip this spring break (she is a teacher). Sometimes we will go long streches of time with little to no communication (live 2 hours apart) but when we do get back together, it is as if no time has passed. It's nice to have a friend like that, I feel very lucky.

As a former military brat, and having completed my own military service (just one hitch, during peacetime), I led a rather nomadic lifestyle up until my family moved to California when my dad retired from the Army after a 20 year career. He went into business with his brother. Up until that time I had not lived in one place for longer than 2-3 years. This made it difficult to develop deep friendships. I do have someone I consider a life-long friend. We met shortly after my arrival in CA and, ironically now, became close friends, neighbors, and Baptist disciples. LOL! Our paths diverged long ago and we have had very little face-to-face contact over the years since we graduated from HS and both enlisted in the Air Force, but we have sustained a connection that predates cellphones and social media. Those things have certainly helped it since their arrival. He is still a X-tian and on that we "agree to disagree," but we are non-biological brothers. Despite his mysticism, he is a very intelligent person and trying to do the right thing in his life. So, I consider him my best friend even though we do not interact on a daily basis. It's one of those bonds that has stuck.

My best friend in childhood was killed in a wreck, and only 10-15 years ago I realized how much this affected me. There were some other losses which I dealt with....slowly.

My best adult friend had "mental health" issues, and has been estranged from me for over 3 years.
I have a few friends, but it saddens me to think about all the people with NO friends ! Jeez, life is wierd.

There are many people in our lives that cross our paths, earn our trust and become close with. It usually takes many years to reach the status of best friends. As decades pass we all become consumed in our own lives and the bond weakens. But what remains are the memories we retain of all the good times we shared.

28 years, since the second grade.... I've only had two best and one of them is decreased. I also choose not to have many friends so I don't plan on making anymore...

I don’t have any long time close friends. I’ve had close friends, but not for long periods. I mean longer than five years or so.

My best friend Nick was opposite but complementary. We were best friends for over 50 years We would talk for hours and hours about anything, understanding things together we wondered over separately. We could argue and yell and stomp scaring others around us and it never was anything but fun to us. He was a naturalist, opposed to science and a spiritualist (but not religious) believing firmly in an afterlife. Food was his medicine. He got sick and thought he had ulcerative colitis for four years, refusing to go to the doctor despite every argument I could make. He died of colon cancer last year about this time. He is missed.

jeffy Level 7 Feb 8, 2018

My best friends?

1.My next younger sister, for most of my childhood, as a snarky sidekick who wouldn't laugh at my jokes, but when she was tickled, the tip of her nose would go down a little, so I knew I'd scored a humor hit.

1. When I was 6-8 my sidekick was the neighbor boy, a little younger than I was. He and I made and shot slingshots together, built tree houses high in the mango trees on the Haiti mission, threw rocks to bring down ripe mangoes, were brats.

2. My best friend as an adult, beside my spouse, was a 22 yr old Thai police lieutenant who tried to hire me to teach him English soon after I arrived in Saraburi, Thailand, but instead I offered to exchange English lessons for free if he also taught me Thai and drove me to the local Thai national parks to go birding.
    We became hilarious best friends, playing galloper ball soccer for hours each night until the moon rose, cracking political jokes.

Timing is everything it seems to me. I'm still in touch with friends I've had since grade school. Some were best friends at times. Commonalities were certainly important but it seems there was more to it. My now ex wife was my best friend for a number of years. I think we romanticize the notion of "best friends" as something that's permanent. I'd even go so far as to say, while you're in that dynamic it's good to think of it as permanent. But don't be surprised if/when the dynamic changes.

I have a few. I feel they are my besties because we can be ourselves around each other. We take in and hear each other.

Loyalty. That is what my best friend has shown me. That's a limited resource in life. So treasure it. Don't take it for granted.

I have had the same best friend for over 40 years. It is a relationship where no matter what we are there for each other through marriages divorces tough times financially and great times. We can always laugh at the world add each other, reminisce about the fun we've had and look forward to more fun to be had between us and our families

I've had several BFFs throughout my life. However my now BFF, Renee, is different from all the other ones. She's very loving and giving and kind and funny and I've never had a friend that cared so much about my feelings. She's better than any family I've ever had or friend. We've been friends since 2011 and I hope we'll be friends forever.

My best friend is called Rhoda we lived accross the road from each other - No one ever got inot our house who wasnt family but I could go to hers and knock and her mother would shout pull the string and I could get in that way - We were teens together and went hitch hiking in cornwall when we were about 14yrs old - I havent seen her in years and we don't write much but she will alaways be my bessie mate ever well both be 70 soon.

I have one best friend. We met when we were 11 and 12 respectively and we just clicked seem to like all the same things and as we grew older we found we have much of the same politic and moral beliefs. I hate anyone else calling me their best friend or assuming that they are my best friend. I have just the one person, that has been with me for over half my life and that I have never had to doubt their loyalty. Don't get me wrong we have had fights and I've honestly hated that bitch, but we aren't ever going to stop being friends. Our last big fight was put on hold because Trump became president and we needed to get our plan to move to Canada together (decided it was too cold by the way.) and we have yet to pick it up again. Like sometimes I want to punch her in the face, but I would legit kill a man if she told me to no questions asked. It's the strongest relationship I got.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22028
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.