Agnostic.com

19 2

Cure for the hiccups?

Here's a more practical question -- what's your go-to technique for getting rid of the hiccups?

(This is not just hypothetical for me. I presently have them -- bad!!! -- and nothing I try is working!)

dleifallot 7 Feb 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I swallow air and belch, works most often. Seems to have to do with the compresson of the diaphragm to cause the burp, stops the convulsing of the diaphragm.

Take a healthy dose of laxatives, then after a while go out. You won't dare hiccup!!!! 🙂
(Why do we find some afflictions of othres amusing?)

Teaspoon of sugar. I am very much a skeptic, always have been, but sugar has worked for me many times (though not 100%) on hiccups. Once, many many years ago, when I was young, I was walking to school and had hiccups. I walked past a yard where this big ass dog suddenly lept up and started barking like crazy. Scared the shit out of me, but my hiccups were gone!!! Lol, don’t know if you could pull that off, but a genuine scare could work! 😉. Oh and in my experience, NOTHING works on drunk hiccups. :/

I just stop.

Sorry, it's no help I know.

d_day Level 7 Feb 9, 2018

@dleifallot

Ive never known another person that could do it. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try though.

"Best way to get rid of somebodies hiccups is to embarrass the hell out of them"

So if I'm out at dinner with somebody who has the hiccups. I'm pretty sure everybody in the room has probably already noticed the person hiccuping. So what I'll do is stand up, have my friend stand on a chair, I'll introduce the room to said friend, then ask this friend to hiccup for everybody in the room. 9 times out of 10 that persons hiccups will suddenly disappeared like magic. Learned this trick from my 10th grade math teacher.

Take 10 sips of water as fast as you can. Works every time

@dleifallot sip swallow not gulp but sip swallow

beheading cures it but it has got side effects

well yes but you did want a cure and that is one lol

I take deep breaths and try to burp like I’m trying to force up vomit, but that can be dangerous.

There is a technique I used on my son frequently: press just above the the center of the eyebrows using the thumbs. There is a medical explanation for that, which I don't personally understand. And for some reason I cannot find the it online now.

It could have something to do with the vasovagal nerve

Someone did that to me once. Don’t remember who or why.

I heard that if you stop breathing for a half hour that will do it.

Hahaha

A tsp of vinegar. It neutralizes the receptors in your esophagus. Was told this by an old doctor. It has worked 100% of the time.

Yuck. I’d rather have the hiccups lol

@NothinnXpreVails hahaha

@NothinnXpreVails lol ya, you have to suffer enough to want to do it

Hiccups are diaphragmatic spasms. Over-stretching it will fatigue the muscle and stop the spasms. So:

1. Take as deep a breath that you can.
  2. Take 3 more gulps of air on top of that; this distends your diaphragm.
  3. Hold until you can't anymore.
  4. After exhaling, repeat numbers 1 to 4 WITHOUT taking any breaths in between.
  5. Repeat x3.

Works for anyone I know that follows it to the tee. I still remember how well it worked for an exotic dancer in a Houston gentleman's club back in 96... but I digress...

Put some sugar in your mouth and don't let it melt away but rather use your tongue to work the granules to the back of your mouth to swallow it in small batches. It's the granular texture that works your tongue and throat that allows you to unconsciously still the spasms of your diaphragm so the spasms stop. Any granular substance would do but salt is unhealthy and sand is just disgusting.

I swallow hard every time I feel one coming. Sometimes takes a few, but it usually works.

I get hiccups all the time. I find a series of sharp inhales followed by holding my breath helps.

Here are a few things you might try the next time you get the hiccups:
Hold your breath.
Put a pinch of sugar under your tongue.
Ask someone to scare you.
Gargle with ice water.
Pull out your tongue (this supposedly stimulates the “vagus nerve" and stops spasms of the diaphragm).
Breathe into a paper bag.

not mine, google's.

I usually hold my breath as long as possible. For my four year old, I scare her. If you have someone in your vicinity willing to give you a start, I say ask them, and ask them to be sly about it.. lol cause' if you know it's coming, totally ruins it.

You just need to reset the diaphragm, stop the spasms.

I guess the diaphragm runs on Windows then.

They say to scare yourself

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22158
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.