Agnostic.com

24 2

Does the doctor in the public hospital have the right to refuse life saving treatment due to religious beliefs. Ex. blood transfusion...

fearlas 6 Feb 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

NO. Not under ANY circumstances whatsoever. If they do, they should lose their license to practice medicine.

The hospital forms have a check box for "Do you agree to a blood transfusion in the event of a life-threatening incident?" I asked "Does anyone NOT check that box?" They said "Yes. Two groups. Jehovaha's Witnesses and racists who'd rather die than risk having non-white blood." Now, that is hate.

And thankfully, their hatred might kill them

I think "First, do no harm" pretty well rules that out.

Medicine isn't for everyone. Just like being a county clerk in Kentucky is not for everyone.

@witchymom As an RN, screw Trump, I don't need any "religious freedom" doing my job. It is so against nursing ethics (and medical ethics in general) to ever refuse care of a patient based on religious beliefs. If there are certain people you don't want to treat, get the hell out of the hospital and work in a church.

Lol, don't even go there. I lived in Kentucky around the time of the whole Kim Davis debacle.

The patient can refuse it, but the doctor has to offer all life saving procedures to the patient.

This is the correct answer. Some patients refuse treatments based on religious beliefs, but we cannot refuse care based on ours. I do have a huge beef with Jehovah's Witnesses refusing blood transfusions for their children. Absolutely infuriating.

@MissInfermiera Some JW are getting around that by bagging their own blood. However sure doesn't work in an emergency does it? (Have a friend who is JW who had surgery done).

It would certainly be a violation of their hyppocratic oath. If for some perverted reason they felt they should not intercede, the LEAST they should do would be to summon another doctor to take his place.

I've had it happen with my son. In short they got away with it. We had to get medication from a different doctor. It made me wish very hurtful things to them. Looking back, I wish I would have reported it to the AMA. Let me restate that, because at this point, I was too accepting of there position, and their position threatened my sons life. I will NEVER accept that again. They WILL get reported if that ever comes across my health or anyone I am in care of.

Sorry you had to go through that.

Hippocratic oath states,, "First, do no harm." So the doctor who refuses necessary treatment is in violation of his primary oath, not to mention state & federal laws. Sue!

I am also a physician and don't believe it is a doctor's right to refuse treatment that a patient needs on the basis of his or her religion. I work for a Catholic hospital system, but I don't think I could work for them if I were in (for example) ob-gyn, where abortion and birth control become issues. I'm a child neurologist and there isn't much there is to fight about in my field. It's politically inactive 😉

I hope not. If you're going into a role that requires science-based treatment, then legally you should prove that you're a science-based person.

Yes, at the likely expense of their job and the hospital's $.

No doctor has the right to withhold lifesaving treatment due to the doctors religious beliefs. One sentence in the Hippocratic oath states " I will apply for the benefits of the sick all measures which are required " Failure to comply is a breach of this oath.

If this isn't all sorted out before I get to the hospital, I am going to be blaming the hospital. This doctor didn't arrive on their doorstep that morning. I have no problem with the doctor and the hospital coming up with a Plan B to work around any personal issues and beliefs.

No, that is horrifying! If a doctor refuses to give life saving treatment, they should lose their license and be held responsible. People should not die because of a doctor's religious beliefs. They should not be doctors if they feel that strongly and need that option.

Hospitals, and public ones at that, should always remain a secular institution. If your religion interferes with your job, then find a new job instead of potentially bringing greater harm to someone in need. It's a cruel and disturbing thought that there are doctors out there who would refuse to do their very job because of religious reasons.

You're very job is to help and treat the sick and needy, if you can't do that because of some messed up religious differences, then your wasting you talents and put that patient in a greater state of distress. A hospital is a place of healing, political and religious ideologies be damned. It's disgraceful how a doctor would abandon the very altruistic nature of their profession, get away with it, and still sometimes try to act empathetic towards to patients plight.

You're religious freedom ends when other peoples health and livelihood are at stake.

No. If he/she is working in a public hospital, the public has a right to expect full and complete care without regard to religion, politics, or any other beliefs the doctor may hold. It shouldn't even be an issue.

marga Level 7 Feb 8, 2018

No! Patents' rights should always rule.

Whose religious beliefs? The patient's or the doctor's? If the doctor harbors these religious beliefs he need to seek another profession. The patient's beliefs are another story. That is a legal question. The adult patient has the right to refuse treatment even if it means death. Where children are concerned it a complicated story. A child with cancer whose parents believe in alternative treatment and who believe chemo is wrong and dangerous - this has been a very sorry situation. We are in the dark woods concerning treatment of cancer. Some limited chemo works but most of the time doesn't. Science has a lot of work to do here.

I think you have a shitty religion, or religious beliefs if they allow you to discriminate or hate against others for simply trying to exist. I do not believe any legal system should allow someone to use their religious beliefs to discriminate against others.

no i don't think so

I would say no. It would not only be wrong to do so considering it's a public and I'm assuming secular institution but they can be disbarred from the medical profession for violating their Hippocratic oath.

I didn't know that opting out of helping someone was part of any religious Doctrine. I would say "no" because there is no such thing as a faith that prescribes that action. it's made very clear in Christianity that judgement lies only in the hands of god. that choice would be the doctor's doctrine not god's.

Wow, you exhibit some weapons grade naivete in regards to religions and Christianity in particular. (IMHO)

@jlynn37 Equating the actions or beliefs of the fundamentalist Christians who would do what he is referencing to Christians in general requires the same level of cognitive dissonance as the statement "All Muslims are terrorists"

go on...please

I see your point, but that is your interpretation of Christianity. Many evangelical Christians in the US interpret the Bible in a "hellfire and brimstone" malicious way. For example, a friend of mine who works for the police department told me that in the police academy, one of his classmates said his religion (christianity) requires that he never help a homosexual person. In the community I live in, this is not an unpopular belief.

@jlynn37 and @ThereisnoDog I don't know if what I wrote confused y'all or not. but what y'all wrote sure confuses me... LOL

I want to make a distinction here that I should have made in my original post. the doctrine I'm thinking of here might be considered the old time religion. my upbringing was in a very conservative Bible Belt denomination. no instrumental music, no dancing, premarital sex was certain Hellfire. god and Only god had the power to judge, for any man to do so is sin.
that to me is very different than what I see as the pop culture Christianity of today. this Christianity is defined by politics, sentiment, and money. it's sold by capitalism, television, and the news. the argument I'm making in my post is based on that old timey doctrine... The story of the Good Samaritan, Jesus spending time with the sinners. yes this pop culture Christianity is foreign to me, whereas the other it's just the past. I need to catch up.

What are we talking about? A JW doctor? I would think that a person that devout would avoid that profession altogether. But on a tangent:

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22183
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.