Agnostic.com

22 5

Who is Your Favorite Philosopher?

Who is your favorite philosopher and why?

Sapio_Ink 7 Feb 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Bertrand Russell

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

I love Nietzsche. Particularly his idea that truth isn't really objective, and is a personal choice.

very good point. I like your Beowulf quote on your profile

Homer Simpson!

When will I learn? The answer to life's problems aren't at the bottom of a bottle, they're on TV!

The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do. What else...

Because sometimes the only way you can feel good about yourself is by making someone else look bad. And I'm tired of making other people feel good about themselves!

I want to share something with you: The three little sentences that will get you through life. Number 1: Cover for me. Number 2: Oh, good idea, Boss! Number 3: It was like that when I got here.

Hmmm, Spinoza and Bacon, sounds like an omelette, I was a pantheist as a teenager.

very tasty

Hobbes. I wish I had as much faith in tuna sandwiches...

Seneca perhaps?

"All cruelty springs from weakness."

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."

"Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for a kindness."

"There are more things, Lucilius, that frighten us than injure us, and we suffer more in imagination than in reality."

"As long as you live keep learning how to live"

Mark Twain!!! 😛 Who says comedians can't be philosophers?

all cultures need court jesters

Nietzsche. 'God is dead' resonates with me for some reason . . .

JK666 Level 7 Feb 8, 2018

Osho
He is a middle eastern philosopher who titled his story Autobiography of a Spirituality Incorrect Master. Gotta like a guy who admits he is wrong. There is some religious stuff in his works, but it is not overwhelming. Taught me about the power of being selfless during sex, how to deal with my ego, the value of compassion, and other usable lessons

His name sounds Japanese

@btroje He is from India

I love Philosophy, not philosophers. I guess that makes Plato my man, shit

This old dude with schizophrenia I used to work with. I am sure he is dead now.

I knew someone with schizophrenia that kept pointing out he had created the eye of god, I just thought it was one of the colorful sayings people say until he taught me there was something called the Eye o GOd that I think the Hubble telescope had taken a picture of.

Socrates. That dude knew how to make an exit.

Call this quote what you like; "philosophy" if you like. It was presented by H. L. Mencken in 1920: "As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." But Mencken was wrong with his hypothesis; for Trump to be a "moron", he would have to upgrade his IQ.

I could not name one philosopher except my boss's son - Reuben. He's a genius and I cannot comprehend 90% of what he writes.

If you want to beat me at Jeopardy!, your odds of success are greatly multiplied with any category related to philosophy or opera.

@Affinis Affinis -- I have a feeling you are typing emojis on your cell phone. If so, they show up online (non-mobile devices/laptops/desktops) to other members only as question marks. So, what you see is emojis (I think). What I see is four question marks. 🙂

@orange_girl I read all the time. No interest in philosophy. 🙂

Sometimes I do well at Jeopardy- and the next time, not so great. When they have questions about a hypothetical grunge 'band': Fractured Fred and his 'great' band, The Barbequed Brains- I don't know; I don't ever want to know- and I don't care. I find it odd that someone would not be interested in the testing and comparison of ideas, as in philosophy.

@Diogenes LOL!!!! Yeah, I play on my Alexa every night. 12 questions. When they ask ANYTHING about very modern music (last 10 years), I am usually stumped. Unless it's country. Only one time since end of December I scored "In the top 1% of everybody playing." That was cool -- and a complete anomaly!! Easy questions. 🙂 Cheers!

@BlueWave Ya, my big ego likes the easy questions too. LOL. I actively avoid so-called "country" and country singers. In the "country" they have cows- and these so-called country singers probably don't even know which end of the cow to 'pump the milk out of'. Excuse my weird sense of humour. Have a super day.

Thought I would get back to you for a second. First, when I say something I mean it; otherwise I keep my trap shut- or 'try' to keep it shut! LOL Anyway you have an interesting profile- and that's what I wanted to say. Very much agree with what you had to say about the "sport" of hunting. To me it is only sport when the animal can shoot back. There was a news article about a trophy hunter trying to kill his second lion, but was killed instead. Too bad it didn't happen sooner.------- How has the party of Lincoln dropped so low, to the level of that vulgar buffoon? Yes, agree with you there too.

@Diogenes Could not agree more about that. I think we should have poachers whose only job is to kill the humans who are trying to kill for trophies or freaking supposed aphrodisiacs!!!

@BlueWave "Aphrodisiacs"- I believe these clowns just 'like' to do evil things- but they would never like the same thing done to them.

@orange_girl Yes, lots of thought provoking things by some philosophers. Some cartoonist have done some 'amazing' things- wish I was one to do something insightful. Robert Frost wrote his poem, "The Road Less Travelled" (hope I have that correct) "Two paths diverged in an elder wood/ And I took the one less travelled". I can see that in its current context: the sky-high hotels, the pollution, the noise---- and a huge electric sign pointing to a few square inches of ground, declaring, "The Road Less Travelled".

Hmm, this is a hard one for me. I don't think I could single out one philospher as my favorite, but I could give you my favorite schools of thought- empiricism and skepticism.

Bertrand Russell. Of relevance here, I think his analysis of atheism versus agnosticism is as insightful as I've ever read. He was an atheist and I fully agree with his reasoning. His genius was to take complex issues and to deduce the fundamentals.

I like the writings of John O'Donohue. They resonates with me.

Marcus Aurelius, without a doubt.

Myself

I'd never even try to choose just one. My favorite philosophical tracts change daily. Some days I'm Kant and others I'm Hegel and some days I just want to watch videos on YouTube while using other apps on my phone without paying a monthly fee.

"Independence is my happiness, the world is my country, and my religion is to do good."

• Thomas Paine
Marz Level 7 Feb 9, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22317
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.