Agnostic.com

15 4

QUESTION The Reasons This Year's Flu Season Has Been Devastating Are, Yes, Mostly Your Fault

This was news to me. I got the flu this year and did not get a recent vaccination. So why was the effectiveness rate of the flu shot only 20 to 30% this year? It looks like it's our fault.

#Flu
Kojaksmom 8 Feb 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I get a flu shot every year and it is a guess on what might be coming your way at best. Getting the shot is not rocket science. However, I have a bad liver and they gave me a series of shots to prevent hep C because the docs said it would kill me. I felt strengthened by this. Now 2 years later, I still have that strength feeling and recent tests show my liver is also better. My blood work is terrific. Many people also do not understand that you cause the flu sometimes by changing from extreme hot to cold simply by running your heat at 90 degrees. You will be making yourself sick to do this. My heat is at 68 to 72 degrees. If you are still cold then put on a sweater or something.

I have never had a flu shot, I am not anti vax, I have all the important ones, and I have not suffered the flu symptoms others get. I get minor symptoms for up to about 6 hours, then gone, others are off work for weeks. Last year we expected a bad flu season, the vaccine had 4 strains rather than 3 we normally have in it. I know what it is like to have flu like symptoms, I had legionella in 1978 and had weak lungs for a few years after that. These days I am lazy, I so rarely go to a doctor, in fact until 2 years ago I had maybe 3 doctors visits since legionella they were to remove objects such as fish hools and get a tetanus top up.

I haven't gotten a flu shot since I was a kid, and I haven't gotten the flu since I was a kid.

I think they have commercialized it to the point production has to run far ahead of the identification of the worst threat since there are several different virus active at any given time according to what I know about it.

jeffy Level 7 Feb 9, 2018

I get my flu shot every year. I wash my hands and try not to get out in public too much and I try to avoid people with the flu. This year I got my flu shot as always and I've been around 11 people that had the flu and I have not gotten the flu yet. I haven't had the flu in several years. So I think getting the flu shot every year is a great idea. I also get a pneumonia shot every 10 years. I used to get pneumonia a lot and now I haven't had it in over 12 years. This can work if we all work together.

Thank You! Does anyone even read the article?

I did some more digging on the web. A flu shot covers individual strains and has only been effective 10% this season. That's a very low number and researchers are blaming hen's eggs.

The viruses in flu vaccines are grown in eggs (hen’s eggs to be exact). And lately, researchers have found that there are problems with this approach that specifically relate to H3N2.

[vox.com]

Ugh, this is the first year we haven't gotten it. I know it wasn't greatly effective because of the strains, but it at least had some coverage and efficacy. Fingers crossed that we can squeak by without getting infected this year!

I got a flu jab in November it was very efficiently done, everyone in the town flocked to the health centre and joyful doctors looned around happily jabbing us because apparently it was a festive occasion and we were going to get really bad flu. I have been catching other peoples flu since then and have now today have seen my doctor and have to take a a course of antibiotics because I am worn out and white from it all - I hope something works by spring as I am looking and feeling like a like a zombie

A recent issue of "the Smithsonian" was dedicated to the flu pandemic. [smithsonianmag.com] and I have a book written by one the article writers in the magazine. The first world war was the thing that created a pandemic out of what would be a national/local problem. The amount of travel today exacerbates the problem of spreading disease. Add to that the high immigrant rates to many countries from those coming from places that don't have a viable vaccine program. The virus evolves/mutates and it is next to impossible to keep up. To me it is Mother natures way of trying to reduce the most virulent species on the planet, us.

I remember reading the issue of overpopulation awareness as a goal of this site. The spread of diseases is directly linked to the spread of our numbers. Yes it is all our fault.

I got my flu shot in November. So far, I haven't gotten the flu, or the strep that the two small humans had in January. While this year's vaccine isn't covering this season's strain, it still boosts the immune system. It doesn't "give" anyone the flu, it's ridiculous that myth is still circulating.
I also wash my hands very frequently. I don't use hand sanitizer though. I don't really think it does much of anything besides dry out my skin. Simple soap and water is always the most effective, in my estimation anyway.

I didn't get the flu shot this year either. I was very sick from the flu the last week of December.

Me too, I'm still not 100%. It's hard to understand all the high and mighty responses to the article.

I got the flu for the first time this year in 37 years....and only couple of times when I was a kid. I was never vaccinated and I never will.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Yes, because everywhere I go, no one is coughing, sneezing, touching things after wiping their noses.....yup, my fault for sure!

The article is saying even if the vaccine has low effective rates, it makes it less likely to transmit from one person to another if immunized. Humans are dirty animals and we are part of a herd

Ah so it is my fault for not believing the vaccine is effective and therefore not getting it.

You are a part of an animal herd my friend. herd immunity

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22386
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.