Agnostic.com

33 14

Men don't have to worry about this.

A homeless man in his 30s has been grabbing and sexually harassing female runners on the irrigation ditch trail near Fifth Street in Wenatchee, the Wenatchee World reported last June. Darn. This is where I like to run.

So, I switched to the Riverfront Trail. At the riverfront, it is hard to get into the Zen of running while dodging people and dogs.

For me, running is like dreaming. Thoughts from the day- current arguments, past heartaches, worries- drift past as if on a conveyor belt. I feel like I’m flying. By the time I get home, I feel mentally rinsed out. Filled with endorphins, I feel happy and relaxed.

Yesterday dense fog lifted and the sun came out. Blue skies! The temperature rose from 30 to 50 degrees.

“Must get outside,” I thought, delighted. Lacing up running shoes, I decided to brave the irrigation ditch trail. “It’s been too cold for the homeless man to hang around,” I thought.

Running, I came upon a homeless man sitting beside the trail with a large daypack. He looked at me. There was no one else around.

“Oh, no!” I thought anxiously. “Wish I had my phone.” Increasing my speed, I raced past the man, sprinting until well past him. Unfortunately, I had to pass him again on the return trip.

While running, a smartphone bounces in my chest pocket. It’s uncomfortable and heavy. I know I should carry a phone when running alone. Stubbornly, I resist.

LiterateHiker 9 Nov 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments (26 - 33)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'd really really REALLY encourage you to check this out: [gracieuniversity.com]

Not just because I think you're insanely ninja (come on, you knew I was going to compliment you again), but because it's a program I'm learning to teach and I've found it to be the most comprehensive thing I've seen so far.

All the best, pretty lady!

Carry a baseball bat and glove. If anyone asks, you're running because late for the game.

Interesting observation. Linda & I hike the metro-parks & state parks around our home regularly for exercise and just to get out into the woods. We rotate through at least 2 dozen parks within a 30 minute drive of our home. We're "elders" and in the last year or so have started using walking sticks. We were first introduced to them in preparation for hiking Machu Pichu as they were recommended for that adventure. They're very much like an Akidio Bo staff. So, taking Akidio has been added to our fitness regime. We carry them whenever we hike & no-one has ever bothered us. Of course, I always carry a concealed sidearm, so... it's all kind of redundant. 😉

Our metro parks tend to be safer than the bike paths. There have been a few unsavory incidents on the Mad River bike path in the past few years, which is why the kids and I don't use it. I need to get a new sidearm, mine "moved out."

@Minta79
If you've a CCW permit, you should, in my opinion, go buy a sidearm and practice with it.

@bigpawbullets agree. It's in the works.

Definitely a shame and concern that women have to always be concerned about this. Is concealed carry a possibility?

Strangers I encounter usually just give me encouragement. This is a sad fact of the world I would suggest either having a friend beat him out of town or send the police

@donnjb

Local police have been called. The police haven't found him. He is described as a Hispanic man in his 30s.

On the irrigation ditch trail, street crossings are not marked. It's hard to describe where you are. The trail winds through orchards and behind houses from north to south of Wenatchee.

My solution:

1. Buy brass knuckles
  2. Put brass knuckles on before running
  3. If anyone tries to grab or harm you, punch them in the face

Sorry you and others have to experience that kind of harassment. Best to always have a running partner

@joemf86

I don't want to carry heavy, brass knuckles. I don't want anything in my hands while running.

Haven't had a running partner since my 20s. As an athlete, the only time when I want a partner is while hiking.

Most people my age, 65, stopped running or walking fast due to knee surgery, hip replacement, plantar fasciitis, etc.

I'm not willing to wait for a partner to go running or to lift weights.

@LiterateHiker brass knuckles aren't very heavy. They weigh 7 to 10 oz, so very light.

@joeymf86 Still, I think there are better options.

@GuyKeith There definitely are. It wasn't meant to be taken serious, but I also wanted to let her know that brass knuckles are not as heavy as people think they are.

@joeymf86 Like anything else, a gun, a knife or my whip stick, just don't let anyone take them away from you and use it against you.

@GuyKeith Definitely. I would say brass knuckles would be harder for someone to take from you due to them being wrapped around your fingers instead of just holding something in your hand (eg knife or gun)

@GuyKeith use something you can control and if it is taken away will not kill you if it is used on you.

Thought this might apply. If you get 1A out your way.

@Barnie2years

I have read many article on staying safe as a female runner. Don't wear headphones. Carry pepper spray. Vary your route.

Years ago I bought pepper spray on a wristband. Didn't like it. The wristband made my wrist sweat and gave me a skin rash. Eventually the canister dried out in my car, languishing in the compartment between the front seats.

We had a similar recent issue here in the Dallas area. Unfortunately women running alone are for sure vulnerable but I think there are some ways to make things safer. Try running with a friend, don’t wear headphones,take some self defense classes,if you can carry mace or even better a small pistol,and always be aware of your surroundings. I jokingly stated to a friend that cities with these issues should hire under cover female cops that are heavily trained in self defense and maybe these guys would get what’s coming to them. I have three daughters and I always talk to them about being safe and aware. I also will have them trained in self defense. If it’s becoming no longer acceptable for men to be the protectors of women then it’s only going to be left to the women to defend themselves.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:224318
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.