Agnostic.com

24 2

Which religions have to most to offer the world?

Say you could make mandatory the in-depth study of one(or more) of the world's religions, which would you choose and why?

Maurcus 4 Feb 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Buddhism. Reminding us of "cause and effect." Teaching us to mind our own business, not to slander anyone - including yourself; that we are in charge of our own lives - that we are responsible for our actions and will benefit or suffer consequences of those actions. It shows us that overcoming problems makes us stronger. We learn from interactions and become better for it. It stands for world peace. We are taught to follow our bliss and there are no admonitions from a God.

Said it for me, thank you. I would add only a couple of things:

Buddhism proper is not a religion. It's not even a philosphy. The description I like best is "technology for living".

Core "Buddhist" ideas have been cropping up in the world of psychology for a while--or are just fully congruent with psychological concepts. Mindfulness, examine your thoughts, etc. Systems like cognitive behavioral therapy are at least partially built around "Buddhist" ideas.

The Buddhist "moral compass" is incredibly strict: right speech, right intention, right concentration, etc.--goes way beyond the Abrahamic codes of external behavior (do not kill, steal, etc.) into the realm of being accountable for your thoughts and emotions. You are encouraged to extinguish every non-loving thought.

But, for all that high standard--best of all--there's no judgment, no pressure. Take it or leave it. Go at your own pace. If it's not for you, no big. You don't get looked down on for not joining this tribe. You get loved, just the same.

@stinkeye_a Thanks for your reply. Really enjoyed it. A great way to raise children, isn't it?

@stinkeye_a "take it or leave it" -- true in concept, but not, say, in Myanmar.

That said ... you gotta love a fundamentally atheistic religion. I find it too full of cruft to embrace on its own terms but I borrow a good deal from it.

My vote, too.

I like many aspects of Buddhism, and love to meditate, but only in my own way.
For instance, when doing group meditations in temples with my friends or students, I don't follow the monk's chants, but let my energy mingle with everyone and everything.
I love the glittering Buddhist temples, the kind, accepting people, etc.

Humanism is the most constructive, but I call that a philosophy more than a religion, so I'd pick the traditional religion that is most philosophical, and second a vote for Buddhism. It's pretty darned cool if you don't worry too much about the compulsive ritualistic aspects. But like any religion, it has evolved into so many sects, and some of them are not so great, meaning, they can be practiced in petty, prejudicial ways just like any other religion.

Humanism has some appeal to me. I have a friend dying of Leukemia who claims, with some justice, that his study & practice of Buddhism coupled with the resulting life style, plus some good medical services, have prolonged his life so far by more than 10 years.

I can't think of any actually. But if there was a religion that also combined science and religious faith that'd be a possible one. Let me think now. That's it ! Scientology ! Oh sh*t no !

@irascible Beat me to it. Bring on the beer volcano.

Wicca! Teaches the good or harm you do to others comes right back on you, plus harmony with nature.

Many pagan religions do... not that all pagans are religious, but... you know.

@AmyLF true! But nowadays it is easier to find Wiccan than, say, followers of Horus or whatever....lol,

Hellenistic pagans are on the rise again. So are Norse. Eclectics are probably the biggest group though a good many of them try to claim a specific to belong to. I'm happier eclectic though.

The original wise woman of tribal structure, the real creator. Maybe that's Wicca. Don't know a lot about it.

As a nullifidian I dislike them all, but when forced to choose, I find pacifist religions such as the Jains or Quakers to be the least likely to cause harm or suffering to nonbelievers, and in this way they have the most offer the world... peace. The comparitive study of world religions, past and present, through an anthropological and historical lens should be taught in the schools.

If only there truly was a religion that instilled true peace without control.

Satanism; it nourishes self diefication and does not care how others choose to live their lives.

Any of the Abrahamic traditions. Those people don't even read their own books. I think it would help a lot of them realize that their "Religion of peace" is actually a religion of hate.

I wouldn't.

none of them they should be banned.they take way more than they give.

Church of the Subgenius. At least they're funny.

Dudeism. The Church of the Later-Day Dude. We abide.

No religion that I know of has anything of value to offer the world. Yoga. Meditation and music are parts of religious practice that do seem to offer something when practiced or performed apart from the dogma inherent in all religions.

@Maurcus education for those who seek it is fine. It does play a central role in many cultures and the knowledge would be helpful to understanding such cultures better.

Studying humanities and religion is edifying, helps to understand cultures.

I refuse to answer. Not of my concern making anything mandatory.

I would not choose just one. They would not be chosen on the basis of what they have to offer. I am not sure what that would mean anyway. They would be taught as a part of the human experience and the development of ideas. I would choose faiths that compare/contrast better with one another for the exploration of thought.

Well I don’t believe in mandatory education but that’s a different debate. For the purposes of this question, all of them, a brief overview. When confronted with the variety of religion, something stands out to me and that is the difference between hierarchical and experiential approaches to religion.

Lauxa Level 5 Feb 11, 2018

That’s an easy question, with an equally easy answer. NO RELIGION. If we could get rid of religion and the political fools, planet earth would be a wonderful world. James

Leon Level 5 Feb 11, 2018

The problem with religion is to be a religion they require belief in a supernatural, the definition being:
the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods. I don't believe in the supernatural so I have no interest in doing an in depth study of fantasy.

@Maurcus I sat through the Lord of The Rings movies with my kids. I loved being with my kids, the movies not so much. I read the Hobbit and was glad when it was done. I'm just not a Tolkien fan, i guess.

I believe that after the service is over, and all the followers are congregating outside, the ladies probably delight in scoffing at each others choice of hats,............................. Not so the Muslims.

I think all of them have something to offer, even if it is to realize just how awful the members generally treat those outside of their circle. Each has something to offer and it becomes a question of what kind of person you are. Which one has the most positive lessons, best treatment to human kind regardless of their religious background, and focuses more on what you consider to be most important in life.

AmyLF Level 7 Feb 10, 2018

Religion offers only pain and fear. It's a false security. It keeps humanity from advancing, and at war with each other.

@GoldenMean I used to think that until realizing what we see is twisted by how those in power take religions and twist them to their own desires. Understanding that much of what is written has been badly translated and twisted to be more violent and destructive than originally intended. I personally won't belong to a religion for that very reason. I can see things in various religious ideas that have similarities, good things, that I accept but unless and until those within realize how messed up the books are and how important it is to learn to respect and support each other if we are to make this life better, I have little use for religion on a whole.

Don't fall for religion it offers nothing but ritual and control. Formulate your own independent values.

Khmm Level 5 Feb 17, 2018

None....religions are brilliant fear and ritualistic systems designed to both control and captivate us.......

Khmm Level 5 Feb 16, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22675
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.