11 3

Open minded?

Discussion time...
What does it mean to you to be “Open minded?”

This question was asked in a FB group that I am in... my response is below...

Do you agree, disagree, have something to add or to take away? Or do you have another perspective, concept?

“To me... it means to not pass judgment or come to a conclusion; without understanding all angles & possibilities first. To give something a fresh perspective of freethinking, that might in the short term & long term be rewarding &/or enjoyable to myself & others.”

By WeaZ
Options Favorite Like

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence, and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy

Create your free account

11 comments

The ability to entertain an opposing viewpoint.

indirect76 Level 7 Nov 22, 2018

If you're referring to arts/entertainment I agree whole-heartedly. For any other venue, I have the knee jerk reaction of 'just what is it you're trying to sell?'. Most other times I've encountered this or a similar statement it's being used as a defense after facts contradicting an assertion are presented.

GreggEdwards Level 4 Nov 21, 2018

It should express a willingness to discuss the idea.

JanGarber Level 7 Nov 20, 2018

One of the great quotes from Princess Bride, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." While the rest of us can probably agree that it means able to delay judgment until all the facts are in, there are also those who will likely inaccurately describe themselves as such, in much the same way as some say they have a sense of humor or can take bad news when experience and history indicate otherwise.

chalupacabre Level 8 Nov 20, 2018

That the speaker has self delusions of grandeur. They can’t be bothered to consider the issue but are too self conscious to admit it.
They don’t understand the issue and too self absorbed to ask more about it

Geoffrey51 Level 7 Nov 20, 2018

I never say it. I'm not sure if it's true.

When I hear others say it about themselves... I usually get the idea they think they are superior to most people and are about to defend their position and explain how they arrived at it and why anyone who doesn't agree with them is stupid and closed minded.

Most of the time when people begin by describing themselves to me, they are telling me what they want me to believe about them, whether it's true or not.

If it was self evident they wouldn't have to go around announcing it. Also in this category are folks who announce their faults loudly and proudly thinking that exonerates their crappy behavior. As if knowing you're an asshole and alerting everyone makes your behavior any less boorish. Nope.

KissedbySun Level 7 Nov 20, 2018

Open minded = willingness to change your mind based on new evidence

Renickulous Level 7 Nov 20, 2018

I think it means being aware of what you think, and especially about what you 'believe', and being willing to challenge those beliefs any time new information comes to light...

Benthoven Level 8 Nov 20, 2018
MrBeelzeebubbles Level 7 Nov 20, 2018

Being non judgemental and respecting the fact that someone else may have an opinion which differs from yours ...even although you secretly know that they are completely delusional!!!!!😄😄😄

Jaydee123 Level 5 Nov 20, 2018

Seriously... I literally laughed out loud HARD, when I read the word delusional. Hahahaha

To me it means listening to a person's argument and engaging with them in dialogue.

jondspen Level 7 Nov 20, 2018
Write Comment
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content read full disclaimer
  • Agnostic.comis the largest non-profit community for atheists, agnostics, humanists, freethinkers, skeptics and others happy without religion!