Agnostic.com

20 4

Do you have a particular neighbor that can be annoying?

I live in a condo, first floor. My upstairs neighbor is a very nosy elderly woman from Poland, as her accent perhaps indicates. I have found her peeking through my kitchen window even while I am standing there doing the dishes (she is the reason I keep my blinds closed). She always has a comment about my kids (generally nice) and about the long hours I keep not being home. Most times I catch her watching me while she’s standing at the end of the staircase when I am pulling into my parking spot, then, just like the nun in Blues Brothers, backs up the staircase and disappears, like she was just waiting for me to get home. Weird. She has tried (unsuccessfully) to just come into my condo uninvited. -She has turned my door knob and then knocked. I never leave my door unlocked. I believe she is the one who leaves random groceries (opened and slightly used bag of flour, occasional bananas, past dated items such as tomato sauce, no note) on my doorstep or hanging from my door knob. She listens to her tv on a volume that makes the voices vibrate my walls (but will turn it off at a respectful time). I’m not sure of her name but she has been coined by me as Grandma McCreep. I think she’d like to be neighborly but she is always telling me about everyone’s business in the area. I try to be polite, and I know she means well. I have no interest in drama. She also is very Catholic, and assumes I am as well. ::roll eyes::

Have you experienced a neighbor that can be annoying?

MyLiege 7 Feb 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My ex-girlfriend's neighbour told her kids that if they loved Jesus and prayed to him every night, their grandmother (who had died two years previously in a house fire) would come back to life.

Jnei Level 8 Feb 23, 2018

Your Polish neighbour sounds rather sweet. I think I'd like to have her as my neighbour.

Jnei Level 8 Feb 23, 2018

Yikes.
Sorry about that.
I occasionally have noisy or (one) hostile neighbors, but turnover is high in this apartment building.

However, Thai neighbors the next block over keep dozens of large white dogs (dunno the breed, if any) in their garage, to breed them. The noise and smell are almost overwhelming when one approaches the house on the corner, and locals often grab their noses to get past them.

I had mentioned this before... here in some other post... I talk about it as a joke now and I mentioned to more people I wanted to but as Cable and internet network installer, I installed in this rented townhouses complex an internet network and the guy asked me to take off my boots since carpet was clean, just moving in I did... to make things short... first website the guy went into to test the connectivity was a foot fetish site... yep... let's say the guy was a foot fetish and attempted to kiss my feet a few times for my good work, even offering me money for me to take off my socks. I thought not only to beat him to a pulp, that I didn't mind you against my best judgement and nature but funny thing was I had just rented in the same complex 2 or 3 days before. Life is funny like that sometimes. I still moved into my place. But I did had him flagged on my job never me to service him again.

@Akfishlady I was like... I wanted to hit him with my baby sledge hammer a few times but there will be no way to keep my job that I liked very much. I worked with a lot of young guys, I told my supervisor what happened and to flag the guy and the young guys were like... "give me the address I go...", I also serviced "strippers" but that is a different story.

I'm now afraid to ask my nephew about any crazy installation stories! He did that job for a while. - Now probably much safer!

@RavenCT Don't be afraid... they are sometimes pretty funny.... there are some guys that are careless on their job so I heard of the guys drilling thru a wall... drill thru an expensive guitar on the other side... the bad one was the guy that drilled thru a dog sleeping in the other side... and another caused a fire since drilled thru power lines on the outside of the house. Never a dull moment!!!

@GipsyOfNewSpain Hey I tell them hair raising stories I suppose I am owed them back. 😉 Have never drilled through a wall into anything? Gees. Oh I'm not careless.

@RavenCT And that is the key... not being careless. We had long powerful drills and today's walls are really cardboard. You are suppose to check what's on the other side. The guitar was in a closet.

Nosy neighbours can be real hell.
However, I assume she is all alone. May be all she wants is a company. At an elderly age people long for company. Her intrusiveness might be of regular neglect she might have faced or her loneliness. Or may be she has come from a place where people are very social and neighbours live like a family. I am just trying not to be judgemental. Actually had seen a Ted talk some time back. Its 16 min long. If you have time you can check it..

I think I live next door to donald j trump, ”lyingist” sob I’ve ever known, xenophobe, homophobe... and of course a good christian... republican. Not exaggerating, he’s “almost” claimed he invented the cell phone... it’s a nice enough neighborhood but not “cell phone invent” nice.
He starts with “when I was working in Japan, Saudi Arabia, Paris, London...” then the bullshit starts... whatever you may have accomplished worth talking about... you’ll be topped by a bunch. I feel sorry for his wife, she’ll say... “Oh Jim that’s not right”... she’ll hear about it... what a schmuck!

Tomas Level 7 Feb 10, 2018

I'll trade you. Being visually intrusive can be tuned out somewhat. My neighbor's kids have the loudest modified exhausts and mega bass subwoofers on the planet. The noise pollution in an otherwise quiet neighborhood is truly maddening. The cops do shit about it as it comes and goes as opposed to coming from the house. The parents are worthless, too.

My revenge is to call the sheriffs on their illegal fireworks at their 4th of July block party every single year. I actually don't mind the fireworks, but if they choose to be douchebags, they got nobody to blame but themselves.

That's no good. I have none.

Have you never had neighbors?

@Betty ...But they never bothered me... I am hard to bother... I was the bothering one back in 2001 while in DC... I am sure she was happy when I moved out. I was working on my music and singing songs in spanish and she will slip notes under my door. I just don't bother much about anything... I am terrible, I know. Betty, I know.

@GipsyOfNewSpain

There is nothing terrible about music unless you were doing it in the wee hours of the morning. 😉

@Betty I was... you didn't have to mentioned like that.... you blow another cover of mine. You mean.

@GipsyOfNewSpain

I don't have a mean bone in my body. 🙂

@Betty So is time to get one... with all due respect of course.

@GipsyOfNewSpain

And where do you suggest I get one and how much will it cost me. 🙂

@Betty I should had kept my mouth shut while I was ahead and then again... I was never ahead. But I guess you can rent them by the hour.

@GipsyOfNewSpain

Do tell. Where would they rent them and how much? 🙂

@Betty That will make me an enabler and facilitator to a profession I disapprove.

@GipsyOfNewSpain

Since you won't help, I guess I'll never find that mean bone. lol

@Betty I know... I am a bad, none supporting friend.

@GipsyOfNewSpain

Yup.

@Betty You didn't have to agree with me.

@GipsyOfNewSpain

A good friend always agrees when their friend is correct. 😉

I'm very lucky. My neighbors are great.

You sure are, but are your neighbors as lucky ? Kidding, am sure they are.

Yes I made the big mistake of instructing my child from 1st to 6th grade to wait across the street in an emergency until I got home using her phone to call and leave a message on our machine to document the event. ....per chance she ever walked home early from school or I was stuck across town. ...this looney xian woman only let my child into her house once and me twice but she milked it for all it was worth to the Catholics of Des Moines while I was leading American Atheists across Iowa. ....never trust an xian if they know your Atheist family can be vulnerable

yes. they keep going to the carribean every winter

Not yet LOL

I've had this house 3 years now and nothing is really bothering me. A few irritants here and there.

Many years ago when I was young even more immature, I allowed myself to be drawn into a war with the neighbor one side. A pair of unsupervised teen age girls. And their unsupervised dog.

I could write a short story about the back and forth with those two. Some of it tragic, some of it funny, most of it unnecessary but I was in my early 30's and going through a bad time.

But there was this one thing: someone clued me that they were gonna egg my house. I had a small boat in driveway and had a dozen eggs sitting in it. For a couple of days. Here in south Florida.

When the poor dumb boys they suckered drove up late that night, and pulled way up into the yard, and rolled down their windows, I threw my eggs into their car

The smell must have been horrible. Yuck!

@Betty I wouldn't know since it wasn't my car tee hee but I sure hoped so. Never saw that car next door again

@SherryMartin

At least it solved that problem. lol

I used to call the police about my college neighbors and complain about their tv/stereo/arguing. I'd also tell the cops I had been drinking all day and it probably wouldn't be a good idea if I went over there (I actually drink a six pack over 3-4 months). Response times were usually fast and they eventually broke their lease and moved.

Recently moved to a block of flats. The neighbour downstairs plays his music too loud and at unreasonable times. Hate his guts to be fair

Before I move anywhere I come at different hours.. to see what is going on. Neighbors to be, parking, parties, etc... I saw this apartment building I liked but in the parking lot was a car just like mine including same color.... that somebody had poured gasoline and set on fire like 3 days before. You know I can't move in there. I do a lot research now and snoop around. I heard the story of a friend that police went on the wrong door to arrest a drug dealer. Wrong fucking address. You need to know your neighbors to be.

@GipsyOfNewSpain

Better safe than sorry. 🙂

I live in a duplex where each apartment has one bedroom. My neighbor has a toddler that loves to run the length of the apartment an I can hear each step and feel the vibrations of his excitement in the floor. He apparently doesn't have a bedtime either...

I live in a duplex where each apartment has one bedroom. My neighbor has a toddler that loves to run the length of the apartment an I can hear each step and feel the vibrations of his excitement in the floor. He apparently doesn't have a bedtime either...

When I owned a house my next door neighbor shoveled her snow onto my property so she could park on her lawn, vacuumed her fall leaves and dumped the contents in front of my house, and almost daily asked, "What are you building?" "What are you planting?" and "What are you doing?" When I put up a 6 foot fence on her side of my lawn (and neighbors on other side of her did the same thing) she stopped.

When I lived in an apartment the upstairs neighbor would get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. She would stomp across the floor and wake us up. Sometimes her brother would come for a visit and they would chase each other around her apartment. We nicknamed her "thunder toes". Funny thing was, we were packing up to leave and loading a U-haul. Guess what. She also had a U-haul and was also leaving at the same time.

My neighbors are not necessarily annoying, but their dogs certainly are. I do blame the dog owners for not being responsible owners.

My pet peeve! I had a dog and would let her bark for a few minutes "Squirrel Squirrel!" but more than that? I'd go get her and bring her in. - My neighbors behind me seem to release all three of their dogs every time I set foot into my fenced yard. I have a chorus of various breeds to accompany me no matter what I'm doing.

yes and that is why I live as far away from other people as i can

Had one years back that was always in my business. She was nosey and opinionated and although she lived across the street she used binoculars to watch everyone. I had to keep my curtains closed and she even complained about that. I was glad when we moved.

Betty Level 8 Feb 10, 2018

I got hooked on watching one particular weird movie once.My neighbor with binoculars actually asked me what and why I was watching it so frequently

@btroje

My neighbor asked my condo management to cut down a tree because it was blocking her view of our living room in the summer. So glad that's in the past now.

@Betty amazing

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22753
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.