Agnostic.com

48 4

Where is the most beautiful place near where you live?

Crimson67 8 Feb 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

48 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Where I live!

We are an island archipelago in the Pacific NW which includes British Columbia and Washington State. We are located in what is called the Salish Sea. [salishsea.org] Our area is one of the country's national monuments and the whole system is run from our island (Lopez). It is comprised of 3 major areas on Lopez and various islands, two of which have lighthouses.

The north shore of Lake Superior

terrace bay is very cool. lake superior is so0ooo cold

@markdevenish i have never attempted to go into the water! I love being by it, in a cabin with the full moon rising over the lake....

I go into some valleys that are about a thousand feet below my town. THere are old adobe ruins there in beautiful landscapes and it is cool to imagine the life there not that long ago

@Tecolote no I moved here about 10 years ago.but you might know I am talking about La Liendre and San AUgustine

@Tecolote it still is

I live in Long Island New York which has many beautifull beaches on the north and south shores .This in on the north shore .Wild wood state park and beach

Lots of beautiful places on LI Lived there for 35 yrs too many people for me .

My local Nature Reserve, which I help warden - Hartslock - [hartslock.org.uk] 🙂

I'm very lucky I live a 15 min walk to the coast of Cornwall in the UK

There's a spot when approaching Old Forge, NY, from atop a hill, that you can see miles and miles of trees. That alone is impressive and beautiful, but in the autumn, when those trees have changed colors, you see an exquisite expanse of bright red, orange, and yellow laid out before you. It's breathtaking.

The Black Hills. Simply stunning and awe inspiring. That's the nearest beautiful place to where I live and they're 6 hours away. I live in that flat brown boring plains of eastern South Dakota where the tallest and most prevalent tree you'll see is a telephone pole.

Plant some trees .

There are a lot of natural areas that are stunningly beautiful here in central Pennsylvania. One of my favorites is a fairly large creek that's completely hidden by trees. There's no place along the course of this creek where you're more than 400 yards from developed properties, but the steep banks and dense woods conceal every hint of civilization and give this the illusion of some primal forest. In the summer it's so green it's feels tropical.
I try to get there by kayak often.

JimG Level 8 Feb 10, 2018

There is an area near about an hours drive away over some hills called The Coromandel [thecoromandel.com] It is one of the most beautiful areas in New Zealand, and I spent many a happy summers there as a child,when it was 'undiscovered' when the roads were still gravel and there were no tourists. These days, you would have to book a couple of years in advance to get a holiday home in the summer, the cute little beach houses and have now been knocked down and replaced with mansions, but that is ok, the scenery is still stunning. Not a day goes by where you won't see some dolphins or some Orcas in shore. They fimed Narnia in this area. And so far it is my favourite place in the world.

Sacha Level 7 Feb 10, 2018

The backyard ends at the shore of a 20,000 acre lake. The blue ridge parkway is less than an hour away. Not much sophisticated culture but I have nature up the wazoo. I'll take it.

where ?

@markdevenish Smith Mtn Lake, in Virginia

I am retired and my home is close to a nice scenic lake. I get to see it everyday, during every season and watch the wildlife and migrating birds come and go, and enjoy boating on it during the summer months. Life is good.

the south-east coast of England.

I live in the Driftless Area of Wisconsin and it is all beautiful from here to the Mississippi River.

I'm fond of the Smokies. Burgess Falls, Fall Creek Falls

Lake Anna is about as close to scenic as we have here in Northern Virginia. Halfway between Richmond and Washington lies a 13,000 acre inland water reservoir. What's stunning about it is that it exists within an almost unbroken concrete urban landscape of 140 miles. Driving up on it feels like coming up to OZ.

Custer State Park. It's not far from Mount Rushmore but there is so much more to see and do. My wife and I stayed at a cabin there for our 20th anniversary and woke up to a buffalo about 20 ft away. The hiking is incredible as well.

I am also heading to Yellowstone in June. I am moving this summer so it may be my last chance. I registered for a half marathon in the Grand Tetons. Can't wait.

I love my backyard .

I live on the Isle of Wight which has coastline all around and not very far away either so there are some great views to be had especially sunrise to the east and sunsets to the west (Obviously east and west I know!) but the chalk cliffs on the south side are pretty spectacular, especially in stormy weather 🙂

The view of the mountains from my veranda.

Actually my back yard.

However my favorite place is my sacred mountain overlooking ALL OF LAKE ONEIDA from my Windows of Clear Path For Veterans. ...3rd on my list is a favorite of Mark Twain where the Mississippi runs west from east Quad Cities SunRISINGS past Davenport AND SUNsets ON THE GRAND WIDE BIG MUDDY

I live near the beach and the Atlantic Ocean beauty is 24-7 lacking only sunsets for my technology cluttered vista to the west

I suspect I may have a different definition of near. Within a 3 hour drive I have North Wales, the Breacon Beacons, some glorious Norfolk beaches and fantastic stately homes and gardens.

I really am spoilt for choice.

The conservation area close to my home is the most accessible and nicest place near me. Lemoine Point is about 140 hectares of wood, marsh, and fields along the one half of Collins Bay. I go there every other day or so when I have time and just kill the afternoons walking to trails. Wild life there is all friendly, good place for bird watchers, plenty of nice spots to go off the beaten path. I generally enjoy it the most in the winter now because it's usually a lovely serene sight, and I can walk along the entirety of the shore because the bay freezes over giving you access to spots that would be flooded. Also we've had tick problems the past few years so Summer sometimes makes me uncomfortable. Lost of retired people and families go there to have fun and it's no wonder why.

There are a few other smaller public nature ares in the cities limits, but if you want bigger you gotta go like 20-30 minutes north to Frontenac Provincial Park for that. Many people go camping there as well.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22760
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.