Agnostic.com

4 6

I used to teach a WGSS (Women's, Gender and Sexual Studies) class. The first day of class one semester, I asked students to introduce themselves and I do the same. I encourage them to tell us something "interesting" besides their hometown and major.

Several years ago, a student proclaimed "My name is ---. I'm a feminist, I'm bi-sexual, and I don't believe in god." It was only after the "I don't believe in god" I heard someone audibly inhale deeply.

I found that experience interesting. Well, I am in Indiana, so I shouldn't have been surprised.

#funny, #students, #atheist, #god

orange_girl 8 Feb 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

baby steps for you

I get the same reaction here saying I am not a christian, followed by, "well what are you then?" voiced with some trepidation. I'm not sure what they are afraid I might say, but I think they don't want me to be Muslim.

?? What is uh...there are courses on...uh. Wow.

I don't think the fact that Women's Studies exists as a course is the point of her post.

I suppose there isn't Man Studies? Apologies. I hadn't realized it's a real thing.

Mic drop! lol I took women's studies in 1987 - it was scary enough being a feminist. So darn glad that people are more able to acknowledge who they are without (as much) fear of repercussions. We'll get there!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22781
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.