Agnostic.com

11 0

Your first non religious inspiration.

So Christopher Hitchens was one of the first speakers that made me feel like I really wasn't alone. Growing up in a conservative state like Wisconsin made me feel like I was really alone all the time. Who is one of your first inspirations?

thyperson 5 Nov 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My nonbelief started in Sunday school when I was about eight. No one could answer my questions. I wanted to be a very good little girl so I tried to convince myself that I believed and was baptized at 12. That's a very normal age for baptism. Before the baptism I went into the preachers office and ask for some reading material about what the Methodist Church believed in. He looked at me like I was crazy and essentially told me it didn't matter what the Methodist Church believed in and if I wanted to be a good little girl I would just believe in Jesus. It seemed that after that I began believing less and less in Jesus. I continued with church until I was about 17. My friends all went and I wanted to fit in. I've always loved nonfiction and as I read about other cultures that kind of cinched the deal for me. I didn't like the leaving the unsaved out and all the wars between religions. College and new friends sealed the deal.

I'd have to say that my first 'non-religious inspiration' came from my Dad at a very early age.
He taught me to think for myself, never believe anything unless it can be shown clearly to be factual and proven, research for myself and then to make up my own mind after doing all of that.
It has served me very well for over 50+ years now and I see no real reason to change even 1 iota of it.

i never really had or needed one. i didn't feel alone in my atheism; i was already alone for being a jew. i got chased, hit, called names, had pennies thrown at me -- but i didn't feel alone by virtue of believing something different, since i was religious and i couldn't tell that my tormentors were either. it was all social bullying, not like they were trying to convert me or anything. kill me maybe lol. so when at 15 i realized there were no gods -- and i did this without any inspiration from any books or speakers or anyone at all -- it wasn't as if i was going to make an announcement. i think i told my best friend and she turned out also to be an atheist; it couldn't have been a big deal because i don't remember how we found out; we just always talked about everything, as best friends do. so i never felt the need to do any research or anything.

g

George Carlin.

The inspirations are all the people of this community that helped me to be enlightened person I am today.

Suck up!!! 😉

My parents and grandparents.

My Mum

Carl Sagan.

Bill Nye the Science Guy

Buxx Level 7 Nov 21, 2018

Matt Dillahunty and Hement Mehta

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, childhood obsession with dinosaurs and growing up in a fossiliferous area.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:228174
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.