Agnostic.com

16 4

Engage or Ignore Trump Supporters?

Do you still hold out hope that we can have rational conversations with Trump supporters, or do you ignore them because you have given up on trying to reason with them to show them the damage they are doing to our country and our lives? This is both a political and a religious question, because Trump supporters tend to fall back on their Christianity (which is, in fact, the opposite of what Christ taught) when their political arguments fail.

• 10 votes
  • 26 votes
  • 25 votes
  • 1 vote
Diarmaede 7 Oct 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't feel the need to engage them, I am not the dumbass whisperer.

At this point if they continue to support that buffoon they are beyond reason. Even aside from religion and politics the man is just an idiot.

First let me say I am a "born again skeptic" which is a term coined by my friend Asa Tibbs who died recently. I don't believe in gods, crosses, idols, aliens(maybe), witches etc. However, I voted for Trump because I am sick of the career politicians that are in office to line their own pockets, many of whom never worked a real job in their lives. I can get past all the religious and
god fearing crap of the far righteous conservatives. I also don't believe Trump is religious and he doesn't even attend church regularly. So where the hell do I fit in being an agnostic and i voted for Trump?

Here you go- #1 Trump is not a politician. He is a billionaire businessman. He is a beltway outsider which has been why he is so hated by the beltway good ole boys. #2.Sorry, the guy did build businesses. #3 He was the lessor of two evils. #4 How is your investment portfolio looking these days? Finally, Just for good measure the truth is coming out about who really colluded with the Russians.

Well guess what you were wrong, worst choice in the history of democracy, and he was NOT the lesser of the evils. Truth IS accusations of HC's collusion with Russians has shown to be BS. The environmental damage his executive orders have caused should ALONE make him culpable for crimes against humanity.

Guess what. I also HATE the idea of major tax cuts for the middle class.
I HATE the fact that the stock market is at all time highs.
I DESPISE the fact that unemployment is at all time lows.
I just lLOATH the idea of replacing the American Health Care Act.
By the way the Muslim community activist predecessor never had a real job in his life and he was born with a silver spoon as was HC.
By the way if the ultra far left weren't so intent on hoping Trump fails maybe we'd be better off. There has never been so much vile from any political party.
Also hate the idea of building up the military to protect the US. "Under god" and "In god we trust" are just words. Don't say them.
As far as politicians lining their own pockets- can you say Clinton Foundation?
Sincerely, a born again skeptic for Trump.

You must not be in your right mind. Please see a doctor as soon as possible before you hurt yourself.

@Diarmaede this is exactly what was mentioned in the post about the backfire effect. You try to enlighten Trump supporters and they double down on the bullshit they promote. Reality, facts, and truth will not away them. They committed to a tyrant and traitor because of his racist agenda, and that's all that matters. The stock market and unemployment are continuing to rise and fall at the same rate they have been since 2009, but Trump did it. The middle-class tax cuts are insignificant and will expire soon, the deficit wil increase and sabotage our nation's future so Trump's buddies can profit now. Trump campaign staffers admitted to collusion with Russia, but Trump's faithful stooges still cite Fox News propaganda and Infowars bullshit as fact.

Their choice. My neighbor came over before the election and said he wanted to argue. I said sure. We went at it for over an hour and shook hands and he went home. He’s never been back. I think he thought he could talk some sense into me. I’ve lost several friends over Trump. I don’t go looking but I sure as hell am not going to crawl into a corner.

gearl Level 8 Oct 29, 2017

There is no point in engaging them, if they cannot see the dishonour this degenerate vile dishonest corrupt self serving excuse for a human being is bringing to the highest office in the land, they are equally as despicable or too, stupid to even bother with.

Their message, argument or beliefs won't go very far if you ignore them.

SamL Level 7 Oct 27, 2017

I used to try and have calm conversations but I would always get horribly attacked so I just don't try to anymore. It depends on the person though. I hate that I've lost friends over it though...

All hope is lost in this country if we do not engage those who hold differing views from our own. A lively, public debate is the backbone of a democracy. Increasingly, we surround ourselves with others who can create an echo chamber for our own views. Social media has enabled us to do this in ways never available to us before. When sorting through friend requests on Facebook I find myself tempted to do this very thing but have managed to maintain a reasonable balance despite the fact that many will block you for offering one opinion counter to theirs. Still, I would never live in a red state!

OMGoodness this is where all the rational people are!

You can't help stupid.

You can't cure it, either!

I don’t tend to engage very often and when I do I ask questions. And follow-up with “So what makes you think that? Have you researched that anywhere else?” I think it is slowly getting through to the intelligent, but conned people that voted for trump, that he is a disaster. His poll numbers continue to decline.

CS60 Level 7 Oct 26, 2017

Deplorable pieces of shit care nothing about the rest of us. The only way to get them to possibly change is to show them that the Orange Nazi has cheated them, no wall, no increase in income, and America still has brown people.

I still don't think they'd stop the cult worship for this dotard. He could be declared clinically insane w/dementia, and they'd still fawn over this pedophile like 'the best chocolate cake ever in the universe.' They'll blame the establishment for not getting the wall, increased wages, etc.

They don't listen to other points of view and don't have open minds. They dont' even have original ideas, but just repeat with they heard on Fox "News", or right wing talk shows.

I'm really not sure that there's anything that anyone can say that is going to change their minds. They like him because he says what they want to say and he brings their feelings to life. Data and facts don't matter. I think our only hope is to figure out a way to work around them.

Depends on who I'm talking to.
I've only run across Trumpies online, never met one in person.
So far I've only come across the trolls, they like to go to atheist FB pages and other left leaning forums and just be assholes in general, like their fearful leader.
Sorry to say, when they get wind of this place they'll be shitting on the carpet here too.

Yes, they will, but trolls weasel their way in and can slowly inject their venom.
I'm a mod on another forum and they like to do it just for fun.

I would love to say "depends on who I am talking to' but if I know they have voted Trump and they then defend that position, there is basically no going forward. Their continual denial about what is happening in the WH and as regards life in general is shocking to intelligent people.

I agree I'm dumbfounded by how so many can still support the idiotic things he's doing, hell what he's doing is well beyond idiotic.
At least some that voted for him are regretting it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2284
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.