Agnostic.com

15 12

QUESTION The Science of Swearing: A new book explains the neuroscience of why we swear

Women’s curses are rated as more offensive than men’s, even when they’re used in exactly the same fashion.

O'Neil showed 377 men and women transcripts of speeches containing multiple instances of the word fuck. If he told the volunteers that the speaker was a woman, they consistently rated the swearing as more offensive than when they were told that the speaker was a man.

We judge women as being excessively emotional compared to men whenever they use strong language.

Fuck that, damn assholes ... 😉 😉

evestrat 8 Feb 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's meaningless unless it is rare.
Someone who says fuck every third word bores me quickly.
Have you heard someone who never cusses drop an F bomb? It is nuclear.

#$@&%$*?!!!!! There, i feel much better......

Without reading the article, I'd assume that it's because women are supposed to be more 'pure' than men. According to society, obviously, not because of some scientific fact lol. After giving it thirty seconds of thought, I'd bet a fair chunk of change that this belief springs from straight men who, acknowledging the fact that men are just basically awful, hairy, smelly, ill-mannered brutes, don't want to consider having sex with someone who might be similar to themselves (can you say 'self-loathing' ,class?). Me? I think you should be able to say whatever the fuck you like... just do it with style.

I tend to find that most days it doesn't take very long before I start using the word 'fuck' like a comma and I couldn't give a prize wank if a woman swears (that might not translate very well lol), it's the context and constructive use of the profanity that works not the ignorant use of it that makes it either effective or offensive. IMHFO lol 🙂

I've also found that married women get more of a pass than a single woman.

For example, I belong to a geocaching group and am one of only 2 single women. One of my married buddies uses fuck every other word including in front of other peoples children. Since she is a bit younger, she uses words that women of my age generally won't

Although I am prolific, I do not use it around young children yet the parents of children will caution me to watch my language around their kids within minutes of the married woman cursing.

There's a town in New Zealand, I forget the spelling but it is pronounced exactly like FFFuck-a-tar!

Yes really! Does anyone know the town?

This reminds me of the words printed on my favorite T-shirt, bought in New York City's Central Park;
"Fuck you, you fucking fuck!"

I'll be damned!

godef Level 7 Feb 11, 2018

Steven Pinker talks about it in depth.

cava Level 7 Feb 11, 2018

That's Totally fucking bullshit..

It's also a sign of intelligence and raises your pain tolerance by as much as 33%. I have no plans of stopping, by the way. Fuck that. 😉

Fuckin’ A

I have this book from 1/2 Price Book store . Really interesting topic :

[amazon.com]

Dougy Level 7 Feb 11, 2018

Indeed. Fucking misogynistic pricks.

Always, always, women are judged so much more harshly than men are for the same behavior. It isn't "ladylike".

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23310
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.