Agnostic.com

25 2

Is there an afterlife? of any sort

Hi everyone, Do you think there is an afterlife of any sort?

Albert_Camus 5 Nov 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

there is no evidence of an afterlife. there is no anecdotal data concerning an afterlife, despite bright tunnel white light so-called experiences of some surely sincere folks who had weird dreams while being technically (and extremely briefly) "dead." there is a lot of evidence for there being no possibility whatsoever of an afterlife (such as our consciousness being the result of electrical and chemical activity in the brain; if the brain is dead, there's nobody left to experience an afterlife). no one has yet undergone a soulectomy or a spiritotomy, or even an incarnationoscopy. people who believe in an afterlife usually offer the reasoning that "there must be" or "i want there to be." if wishes were fishes, no one would be hungry (except possibly fish).

g

I've also heard pseudo physics peddled about to justify their beliefs and invoking quantum physics and einstein and various physics models as some sort of "proof" of reincarnation/an afterlife.

@demifeministgal people think any old thing is proof when most of the time it's not even evidence!

g

No. After death, you decompose and become an essential part of the nutrient cycle. Your organic matter will be used as fertiliser by the proverbial daisies. Go and live a life of purpose and make a difference (however small) for the benefit of your fellowmen. Eat. Drink. Love. Be Merry. Do Not Pray to any God (it will take you nowhere).

Your 'afterlife' will be how you will be remembered by those you have helped change their lives for the better. Seize the Day.

No evidence for an afterlife whatsoever.

From stardust you came, to stardust you'll go
If there is an afterlife, it's because your stardust is used to create life.

Exactly, so few recognize or even understand that we are made of the 5 most common elements in the universe, and to the level of their abundance. Whats even more interesting is these stars died out billions and millions of year ago, so technically you could, and most likely are made of atoms from several galaxies from all across the universe. That useually blows most peoples minds, and riles up the jesus freaks and bible thumpers. But we have the science on our side to back up our claims of truth. They only have a bag of nothing, and even less particles found in deep space between their ears.

No only afterbirth lol

How can we know? Anybody that could have experienced it is not able to tell us. There could be, but then again, maybe this is it. If there is I doubt it is what anybody expects.

I don't worry or think about it. It is just a distraction from the life I am now living. If there ios one, I cna wit until i die to find out and I'll just deal with it them.

I have no reason to think there is an afterlife of the literal sort, but you say "of any sort" so yes, there is an afterlife of the metaphorical sort. There is life after death of ego-identity, which, I suspect, may be the original intent of that phrase.

skado Level 9 Nov 30, 2018

Only in the memories of those whose lives you have touched, for good or ill.

it is simple as this , you are born and then you are put in pine box. Which, your corps will till the end of time.

How can we know? Anybody that could have experienced it is not able to tell us. There could be, but then again, maybe this is it. If there is I doubt it is what anybody expects.

No. Those who claim there is one can prodcuce no evidence to support their claim, and all available evidence against the claim points towards our consciousness ceasing to exist when our brains stop functioning. Believing that there is another life after death is understandable wishful thinking, but it is very hard to see how it could work.

Yes!!
I’m
Not sure what, but I feel there has to be something

Only insofar as you affect the lives of others who go on after you...who affect the lives of still others...etc. Seems more elegant, as well as more true, than any other afterlife I've heard of.

That's a pretty open-ended question. You will get so many different responses because everyone has their own opinion. In my opinion, no not at all. After life my body is going to a university. That's about all of an afterlife there is.

Stardust. But I don't worry about the afterlife because there is nothing I can do about it.

Nope

We know that when we die our atoms and energy continue on, in different forms, allowing other life to exist. There is no reason to think that our consciousness continues on. This is the only "afterlife" that I desire.

No there is not. I have experience at this as have technically pronounced dead twice in the hospital for an extremely bad work place explosion. I will spare everyone the gory details, but no lights, no tunnels, no nothing. Just like it was before you where born. Simple as that. So enjoy your life to the maximum your means allows because this is the one and only chance you will ever have.

Nope. That's why he have to make the most of our time here.

JoeVZ Level 4 Dec 7, 2018

No. Nothing

No - I wish there were at least on a conscious level but I've seen no evidence thus far that would convince me that there is.

Some kind of afterlife could be possible, but only if there is a god.

No,. I think when we die we are just gone.

No.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:234153
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.