Agnostic.com

9 1

Friendship..

This is an age old question.
Can a man and woman be friends without it being sexual or leading to a relationship.

• 38 votes
  • 0 votes
darien75 7 Nov 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yup. I've had wonderful friends, some of them male.

Your question is sexist. My question is, why would a man and a woman not be capable of keeping their interaction at friendship level only??? I can't see any reason.
You are implying that men in general can not control their sexual impulse therefore can not be friends with women because it will always lead to sex. I find this quite offensive towards men. It's like saying that men are controlled by their sexual impulse just like the other animals which means they don't have the ability to make rational choices.

I have a few male frieds. They never dropped any hints regarding sex and they treat me like an equal. Yes, there are men who are not sexist out there.
I wouldn't waste my time with the rest!

ABack Level 6 Nov 30, 2018

Speaking for myself only, even though we may be just friends, they are still male company that I enjoy. In a way, I suppose ,that could be interpreted in a semi sexual way.

Yes, but, generally, it helps if at least one of them is butt ugly.

@darien75 Damn you're an arse.

I was suggesting that you would have an easy time having women as friends based on your looks and crappy personality.

I’ve had great male friends over the years. It was my ex husbands friends I had to watch out for.

@Gooniesnvrdie I agree with you. I’ve never have and never will go there.. it’s just creepy to me.

@Gooniesnvrdie A rule to live by: Never date friends' exes; it always ends badly; always, even if it takes years of simmering resentment. Trust me on this. Even if your friend suggests the idea, say no.

Girl, right? When my ex and I separated his friends came crawling out of the woodwork.

I wish! I genuinely would like to have some male friends who would not press for more than friendship (sex, romance). My experience, so far, has been that many of my "friends" hang onto a hope for more when I am not headed there.

Zster Level 8 Nov 30, 2018

You need to look at the male friends you choose. There are males out here who don't have those inclinations. Some of us have some pretty good, non christian morals.

@Beowulfsfriend I figure there ARE guys who, like me, can really be platonic friends with either gender. They can be tough to recognize vs those who have ulterior motives, but play at the platonic thing, for some period of time.

@darien75 I'd love to be friends! My life is undergoing big changes that should result in more free time for correspondence, chat and the like.

I am not seeing a way to message you right now. I might be having a glitch with the app.

But in most of times the man won't make any effort and won't desire sexual contact, BUT he won't reject either (unless relationships outside of the friendship exists of course)

I have several female friends. In fact a lot more than male. Some of these dating back over 20 years so thats a yes

Using your question as a guide, friendship is NOT a relationship? What is it, a relationboat?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:234183
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.